Bryant, Landry, Latimer, Moncrief or Robinson at 64?

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Who do you take? And why?

If you want to throw Coleman and Matthews in there, feel free to do so. But I took a break from watching WR for a couple weeks and went back over the last few days and I wouldn't be surprised if all 5 were available at 64. In spite of all the hype, after I went back and watched them again, I feel more comfortable believing a least a few of the guys we've talked up will fall.

As an added question, who do you think Pete and John take (assuming the pick a WR @ 64)?

Personally, I'd take Bryant. Going back and watching his games in chronological order just showed so much improvement. He's got his issues, don't get me wrong. He needs to work on his routes and I rarely saw him get the CB covering him to turn his hips. He shows effort when he blocks but isn't really effective. But I saw teams back off later in the year and I think Seattle needs that. I also thought he fought for a lot of contested balls and won a lot of tight coverage plays down field. He's best catching along the sideline and I think that fits with what Seattle does. I think he has a ridiculously high ceiling and I think we have the environment and leadership to get him to succeed.

As for who I'd expect JS to draft, I think he'd take Latimer. Latimer is really good. I think he's a better route runner, I think he can contribute on special teams and I think he has more YAC ability than Bryant. He does a good job of catching with his hands and he's a physical blocker. I think his game will appeal to Pete and John. For me, I really like Latimer but I have this weird voice in the back of my head telling me "hold up". Honestly I can't rationalize the little voice, just call it a gut feel. If I had to describe it I'd say: It's not that I don't think he'll be effective if he's a Hawk but I just don't think he's going to scare anyone at the next level.

As a last little note, I think I'm going to have a tense moment when Benjamin falls to 32, because my current feeling is he will. And I really think Seattle will have him rated pretty high.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'd honestly be excited for any of those guys, but especially Allen Robinson

kearly

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Latimer will be a first round pick. If he reached #32 and Seattle didn't take him there I would be surprised.

Of that group, Robinson is the only guy that I think has a decent chance of reaching #64, but his forty is probably too slow for PC/JS.

I think Landry is an Anquan Boldin 2.0, so he'd be my pick of that group, slow forty be damned.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":1u3zhvrj said:
I'm pretty sure Latimer will be a first round pick. If he reached #32 and Seattle didn't take him there I would be surprised.

Of that group, Robinson is the only guy that I think has a decent chance of reaching #64, but his forty is probably too slow for PC/JS.

I think Landry is an Anquan Boldin 2.0, so he'd be my pick of that group, slow forty be damned.

I'm curious. A few weeks ago you had Latimer as a late-round practice squad player who couldn't beat out Lockett on the roster. What's changed your views on him?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
M. Bryant is my pick of that group. pair Bryant with Harvin thats alot of space creating speed on the field for the run game and the QB to work with.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":37mtm9oe said:

Robinson's pro-day went a lot better. I know, I know.. pro days are deceiving .. but I still think Allen Robinson is definitely in play for us.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
The Seahawks have placed a value on speed at the WR position:
Ricardo Lockette- 4.34s 40
Percy Harvin- 4.39
Taylor Price- 4.40
Jermaine Kearse- 4.43
Stephen Williams- 4.45
Doug Baldwin- 4.48
Sidney Rice- 4.51

Latimer ran a 4.43 at his pro day. Donte Moncrief and Martavis Bryant both ran 4.4s at the combine, but they have questionable hands. They will look for a great combination of speed, hands, and production if they draft a receiver in the first two rounds.

These other guys are too slow to be valued so highly by the Seahawks: Allen Robinson (4.60), Kelvin Benjamin (4.61) or Jarvis Landry (4.77).

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
One thing I keep seeing mentioned is that the Hawks really want guys with some sort of "freaky" skill at the wide receiver position. That may be true historically, but how has it really panned out? Maybe it's time we draft a receiver that isn't going to jump off the board because of some ht/wt/speed combo, but can just play. The best ("homegrown") guy we have fits that mold in doug baldwin.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1ugmcxca said:
The Seahawks have placed a value on speed at the WR position:
Ricardo Lockette- 4.34s 40
Percy Harvin- 4.39
Taylor Price- 4.40
Jermaine Kearse- 4.43
Stephen Williams- 4.45
Doug Baldwin- 4.48
Sidney Rice- 4.51

Latimer ran a 4.43 at his pro day. Donte Moncrief and Martavis Bryant both ran 4.4s at the combine, but they have questionable hands. They will look for a great combination of speed, hands, and production if they draft a receiver in the first two rounds.

These other guys are too slow to be valued so highly by the Seahawks: Allen Robinson (4.60), Kelvin Benjamin (4.61) or Jarvis Landry (4.77).

Eh.. I don't really buy this. Chris Harper wasn't a burner. He ran a 4.55

Baldwin did run a 4.48 but that was at a Pro Day, if you want to go off that.. Robinson ran a 4.47 at his pro day. Jarvis Landry ran a 4.5 at the LSU pro day.

I mean we're talking tenths of seconds. Besides it's been noted that JS puts more stock into the short shuttle times over the general 40 yard dash.

FWIW the best shuttle times from the more notable WR's:
Cooks 3.81
Beckham 3.94
B. Ellington 3.95
Janis 3.98
Robinson 4.00

M. Bryant 4.15
Matthews 4.18
Evans 4.26
Moncrief 4.3
Adams 4.3
Watkins 4.34
Benjamin 4.39
Coleman 4.51
Landry DNP
Latimer DNP

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2vqdv27f said:

Baldwin did run a 4.48 but that was at a Pro Day, if you want to go off that.. Robinson ran a 4.47 at his pro day. Jarvis Landry ran a 4.5 at the LSU pro day.

They also waived Chris Harper almost immediately. He was the second highest 2013 draftee to not make his NFL team's opening day roster. And a 4.55 is different than a 4.6-4.8.

Some college teams, like UCLA and Penn State, will rig their Pro Day times so that virtually every released 40 time is .2 seconds faster than the normal combine time. What the scouts came up with is probably more in line with their actual combine times.

Baldwin looks like a 4.4 guy on the field; Robinson, Landry, and Benjamin do not.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Well according to King 5 news in Seattle, Cody Latimer visited with the Seahawks recently. That probably means we won't draft him based on how previous pre-draft interviews/workouts have gone :th2thumbs:

Throwdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":esn44r2c said:
Well according to King 5 news in Seattle, Cody Latimer visited with the Seahawks recently. That probably means we won't draft him based on how previous pre-draft interviews/workouts have gone :th2thumbs:

No it means they're gonna draft him with the quick fast based on how its gone with JS & PC, almost every guy they bring in ends up on the team.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1n7qrwr8 said:
Hasselbeck":1n7qrwr8 said:

They also waived Chris Harper almost immediately. He was the second highest 2013 draftee to not make his NFL team's opening day roster. And a 4.55 is different than a 4.6-4.8.

They also waived Kris Durham immediately (drafted #107 vs Harper's #123) who ran a 4.42. Maybe they have a thing against receivers named Chris/Kris...shit, I guess Chris Matthews doesn't have a chance :lol:

Some college teams, like UCLA and Penn State, will rig their Pro Day times so that virtually every released 40 time is .2 seconds faster than the normal combine time. What the scouts came up with is probably more in line with their actual combine times.

Baldwin looks like a 4.4 guy on the field; Robinson, Landry, and Benjamin do not.

That sounds like BS to me. Do you have a link that proves Penn State rigs their pro days?

Robinson dropped 12 pounds and improved at every measurable than the combine. It's not hard to imagine he ran faster as well. Gil Brandt, a legend in the scouting community, reported a sub-4.5. He's to smart to report a measurement that, apparently, is so well known to being exaggerated. He uses scout times, which were anywhere from 4.42 to 4.47, hence the "Sub-4.5"

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":bfccmrn0 said:
That sounds like BS to me. Do you have a link that proves Penn State rigs their pro days?

Robinson dropped 12 pounds and improved at every measurable than the combine. It's not hard to imagine he ran faster as well. Gil Brandt, a legend in the scouting community, reported a sub-4.5. He's to smart to report a measurement that, apparently, is so well known to being exaggerated. He uses scout times, which were anywhere from 4.42 to 4.47, hence the "Sub-4.5"

Robinson reported that he ran a 4.42s 40 and had a 42 inch vertical at his Pro Day. He ran a 4.6s 40 and jumped a 39 inch vertical at the combine. That kinds of miraculous improvement sounds like complete BS.

Robinson's claims: http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootba ... d_n_1.html
Robinson's real times: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/all ... id=2543509

The way UCLA rigged their reported combine times has been well discussed by the media: http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2014031 ... ard-dashes

BiesZ0VCIAApdm5
That's six payers with sub-4.4 times. Ridiculous and impossible.
Sua-Filo's combine time: 5.04
Marsh's combine time: 4.89
Barr's combine time: 4.66
Hester's combine time: 4.62
Evans' combine time: 4.51

Basically, every reported time by UCLA is .1-.2 seconds faster than the actual combine time.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":34nms0n4 said:
Recon_Hawk":34nms0n4 said:

Robinson reported that he ran a 4.42s 40 and had a 42 inch vertical at his Pro Day. He ran a 4.6s 40 and jumped a 39 inch vertical at the combine. That kinds of miraculous improvement sounds like complete BS.

Robinson's claims: http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootba ... d_n_1.html
Robinson's real times: http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/all ... id=2543509

The way UCLA rigged their reported combine times has been well discussed by the media: http://www.dailynews.com/sports/2014031 ... ard-dashes

BiesZ0VCIAApdm5
That's six payers with sub-4.4 times. Ridiculous and impossible.
Sua-Filo's combine time: 5.04
Marsh's combine time: 4.89
Barr's combine time: 4.66
Hester's combine time: 4.62
Evans' combine time: 4.51

Basically, every reported time by UCLA is .1-.2 seconds faster than the actual combine time.

So now Robinson is lying about his pro day performance? Ok :roll:

What he reported is what he heard. The funny thing with hand-timed watch is that it's not official. It varies a lot based on who's timing (just like AR said), but when these hand times get reported to a guy like Gil Brandt who gets his information from actual scouts on site (not Allen Robinson himself), he does what scouts usually do. They take their time and the times of those around him and averages the number. Multiple 4.42s to 4.47s and some 4.5s = an unofficial sub-4.5. No one's saying he officially runs a 4.42. You're just choosing to use the extreme outliers for effect.

And you still haven't proven Penn State does anything shady. Just like the unrelated Chris Harper being waived cause of his 40 time example you attached to Allen Robinson, you attached a completely unrelated example of UCLA as proof to Penn St. Just cause UCLA does it does not mean PS does it.

And you do know that some tracks are known for being fast while others are slow? Just like some players play to their 40 time and others don't (another reason 40 times are overblown).

EDIT: Late-night post = bad math. Fixed some errors with my 40 time numbers.