Why is everyone sleeping on Jarvis Landry??

VegasSeahawkFan

Reaction score
The dude can straight up ball and he improved his forty time to a 4.51 at his pro day. Could have best hands in the draft and might be the best at 50/50 balls. I personally feel that he would be a great fit for this offense. As much as they like throwing those back shoulder fades to slot guys Landry would fit right in. Now that Rice is back maybe they can look for a smaller receiver at 64. He doesn't look 4.6/4.7 in this highlight reel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0gTJHMwF2k

McGruff

Reaction score
It wasn't just his 40 time that was bad. If it was one drill, I could discount it. But he was bad across the board, especially his vertical and broadjump, two important measures of explosion and overall athletic ability. His 3 cone was horrible (agility) as well.

He is not Anquan Boldin or Jerry Rice. Those guys had 40 times that were incongruous with their other results. Landry's tests have been remarkably consistent and remarkably bad. He's not on our radar.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
His combine was troubling, his tape is great. In the 4th or 5th I would be ok with it. Not in the 2nd round though with all the other prospects around.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Jarvis Landry, Outlier

Jarvis Landry doesn't just have a bad SPARQ. He has the 162nd-best SPARQ, which isn't great as it also happens to be the second-worst. Seattle might be interested on taking a chance on a lower-rated guy, but it seems extremely difficult to imagine them picking a player who's 30 SPARQ points below noted outlier Anquan Boldin. It's not just that Landry tested poorly at the combine, it's that he might have a worse SPARQ than any other receiver in the league, and one that's 2 or 3 standard deviations from the lowest-rated Seahawk.

There's been a fair amount of chatter that he was hurt at the combine, and that his test results are not indicative of his ability. His pro day is April 9th, and it'll be vital for him to put up respectable numbers and get to a 100-105 SPARQ. Again, it's not that Seattle doesn't pick guys who are slightly lower, it's that they don't pick guys that are standard deviations below the average.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1xbj8r23 said:
Jarvis Landry, Outlier

Jarvis Landry doesn't just have a bad SPARQ. He has the 162nd-best SPARQ, which isn't great as it also happens to be the second-worst. Seattle might be interested on taking a chance on a lower-rated guy, but it seems extremely difficult to imagine them picking a player who's 30 SPARQ points below noted outlier Anquan Boldin. It's not just that Landry tested poorly at the combine, it's that he might have a worse SPARQ than any other receiver in the league, and one that's 2 or 3 standard deviations from the lowest-rated Seahawk.

There's been a fair amount of chatter that he was hurt at the combine, and that his test results are not indicative of his ability. His pro day is April 9th, and it'll be vital for him to put up respectable numbers and get to a 100-105 SPARQ. Again, it's not that Seattle doesn't pick guys who are slightly lower, it's that they don't pick guys that are standard deviations below the average.

As much as I think Pete and John value the SPARQ score I think they have proven that they can see past a poor score if the film shows the prospect can play. Landry might have a bad SPARQ and he may have some flaws to the game, but the guy can play and I think of the second tier receivers, I'm most confident about him succeeding at the next level. He wins in tight coverage which, to me, makes his lack of speed somewhat of a moot point.

I don't think Seattle will draft him, just because I think there are more athletic options that fit what Seattle is looking for more than Landry. But I don't think you get to where Seattle is by strictly following a formula and I trust that Pete and John know when to look past poor measurables.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Yxes1122":2pwegrmm said:
ImTheScientist":2pwegrmm said:
Jarvis Landry, Outlier

As much as I think Pete and John value the SPARQ score I think they have proven that they can see past a poor score if the film shows the prospect can play. Landry might have a bad SPARQ and he may have some flaws to the game, but the guy can play and I think of the second tier receivers, I'm most confident about him succeeding at the next level. He wins in tight coverage which, to me, makes his lack of speed somewhat of a moot point.

I don't think Seattle will draft him, just because I think there are more athletic options that fit what Seattle is looking for more than Landry. But I don't think you get to where Seattle is by strictly following a formula and I trust that Pete and John know when to look past poor measurables.

Can you give a couple of examples?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I was discussing this in another thread, but Fieldgulls.com compared the average times for all the current Seahawk receivers vs. the 2014 WR draft class: http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... e-receiver

WR stats

Order of importance of measureables for WRs (highest to least importance, based on their differential z-score from the current draft class):
1. 10-yard split (most significant)
2. 40-yard dash
3. Vertical jump
4. 3-cone
5. Broad jump
6. Short shuttle
7. Bench press (least significant)

When they looked at the best testing times for all 110 receivers in this class, Jarvis Landry ranked 109th in SPARQ score.

Landry's 10-yard split (1.73s) was nearly .2 seconds slower than the average Seahawk receiver, meaning Landry is extremely slow off the line.

Landry's 40-yard dash time (4.77s) was .22 seconds lower than the average Seahawk receiver, with most of that differential accounted for by his unusually slow 10-yard split.

Landry's vertical jump (28.5in) was nearly nine inches less than the average Seahawk receiver.

In the three most significant measurables for Seahawk receivers, Landry is not in the same league. Granted, measurables can only take you so far. Even though Landry has a chance to be a solid player, I don't believe the Seahawks will value him as much as some other teams will because he does not fit the identity of the receiving corps that the front office continues to build.

OP
OP
V

VegasSeahawkFan

Reaction score
Man people are going crazy with all this SPARQ stuff...What was the SPARQ of Durham and Harper?? What was Carpenter's Sparq?? Not every guy drafted in the last several years had an amazing SPARQ?? Most of the guys.........yes, but not all of them.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I've been repping this guy for weeks now. I love his hands and would take him at 32. I don't care what his 40 is, or his vertical, he catches the ball and moves the chains. I'll be he's a hell of a blocker too.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3lxk3wn9 said:
I was discussing this in another thread, but Fieldgulls.com compared the average times for all the current Seahawk receivers vs. the 2014 WR draft class: http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/201 ... e-receiver

WR stats

Order of importance of measureables for WRs (highest to least importance, based on their differential z-score from the current draft class):
1. 10-yard split (most significant)
2. 40-yard dash
3. Vertical jump
4. 3-cone
5. Broad jump
6. Short shuttle
7. Bench press (least significant)

When they looked at the best testing times for all 110 receivers in this class, Jarvis Landry ranked 109th in SPARQ score.

Landry's 10-yard split (1.73s) was nearly .2 seconds slower than the average Seahawk receiver, meaning Landry is extremely slow off the line.

Landry's 40-yard dash time (4.77s) was .22 seconds lower than the average Seahawk receiver, with most of that differential accounted for by his unusually slow 10-yard split.

Landry's vertical jump (28.5in) was nearly nine inches less than the average Seahawk receiver.

In the three most significant measurables for Seahawk receivers, Landry is not in the same league. Granted, measurables can only take you so far. Even though Landry has a chance to be a solid player, I don't believe the Seahawks will value him as much as some other teams will because he does not fit the identity of the receiving corps that the front office continues to build.
Percy Harvin really skews that little graph you posted

BHF

Reaction score
VegasSeahawkFan":20c7gd0p said:
Man people are going crazy with all this SPARQ stuff...What was the SPARQ of Durham and Harper?? What was Carpenter's Sparq?? Not every guy drafted in the last several years had an amazing SPARQ?? Most of the guys.........yes, but not all of them.

Dunno about Durham, but Harper had the fourth highest SPARQ rating in his WR class.

cover-2

Reaction score
Laundry is a slot WR and the I would be highly disappointed if we drafted him in the 2nd and especially the 1st round. We are stacked at the slot WR position with Baldwin and Harvin, we don't need another slot WR.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
He has quite a few flaws in his game from what I've seen. He's a one speed guy, meaning he really has no sudden-ness in his route running, which is also average. I don't think he's a great blocker. His speed (or lackof) shows, and doesn't really offer much in YAC. With all that said, he is tough and has very good hands. The catch against Ark. is probably one of the best I've seen. In the right system, working in the slot, he should have good to very good success and be an excellent ST.

McGruff

Reaction score
BHF":375rwirv said:
VegasSeahawkFan":375rwirv said:

Dunno about Durham, but Harper had the fourth highest SPARQ rating in his WR class.

Durham's was the lowest ever for a Seahawk's wR, but it was still 25 points higher than Landry's (115 vs. 80)

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I don't know if Landry will be in their Top 132 players because he doesn't fit the identity of the receiving corps they are building, and this is an extremely deep receiver class filled with players who do fit that identity. Some other team will probably value Landry more than the Seahawks.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":13883y8u said:
Percy Harvin really skews that little graph you posted

If you click the link, it turns out Harvin is only the 5th highest SPARQ WR that PC/JS have acquired.

John Schneider has always gone after fast WRs- that is no secret. It was the exact same thing in Green Bay when JS was there too.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
The problem with the Anquan Boldin analogy is that Boldin is actually very quick off the line of scrimmage (1.61s 10-yard split). He just doesn't have top end speed (4.71 s 40). Unlike Boldin, Landry lacks quickness off his release but has a decent second gear.