Kirwan: I believe the Seahawks like Jace Amaro

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Latest mock from Pete's friend Pat Kirwan has the Hawks picking Amaro at #32:
Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech: I believe the Seahawks like Amaro. He brings a dimension their offense really doesn't have as a flex/slot tight end who creates matchup problems. Russell Wilson will love having a 6-5 guy with 106 receptions last year roaming the middle of the field.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock ... pat-kirwan

Seems like Amaro was a pre-combine favorite as a first round TE, but the 4.74 and other combine numbers had dropped him to the second round. I'd think the Hawks have more pressing needs given the restructure of Miller, good rookie production from Willson and bringing back McCoy... though the latter, on 1 year no guaranteed money, could be easily replaced.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
No way, that's a horrible idea, basically he's another Luke Wilson when we have many more needs.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Considering Amaro is already on our roster under the name Luke Willson, I will disagree here with Kirwan.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Amaro is a poor man's Luke Willson.

Willson's 40 time: 4.57 s
Amaro's 40 time: 4.74 s

Willson's vertical: 38 in
Amaro's vertical: 33 in

Willson's 3-cone: 7.04 s
Amaro's 3-cone: 7.42 s

McGruff

Reaction score
hawknation2014":87q0tal8 said:

Willson's final collegiate year: 9 catches, 126 yards, 2 TD's
Amaro's final collegiate year: 106 catches, 1300 yards, 7 TD's

hawknation2014

Reaction score
McGruff":2kbkgc1j said:

The respective offenses they played in made Willson an undervalued steal and Amaro a potentially overrated bust. I would compare Willson to Jordan Cameron. Cameron had just 16 catches for 126 yards and a touchdown in college. But he had great workouts and measurables, including a 4.53s 40 time, 1.53 10-yard split, and a 37.5 inch vertical. Last season, Cameron was a Pro Bowler with 80 receptions for 917 yards and seven touchdowns. I see Willson is that same league of size, hands, and athleticism. Amaro was a great college player, but his ceiling looks so much lower.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
You shouldn't compare Amaro to Willson. Willson is a tight end, Amaro is not. Just because Texas Tech listed him as a tight end on their roster doesn't mean that's the position he played. Amaro is a big-bodied wide receiver who lines up in the slot or outside.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Amaro isn't really anything like Willson. They couldn't be more different.

But given Carroll's ties to Kirwan -- does anyone really think he's going to be blerting out what PC will do on draft day? If anything Kirwan's mock should be an indicator on who they won't take.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Man I hope we're interested in Amaro. After reading this, I went back and watched about 6 games from this past year. Going in I was expecting an oversized wide receiver that was a product of the air-raid offense. Nope. Dude is a beast. Not the most athletic, but has more than enough athleticism especially considering his size. He doesn't play inline too much, but I actually think he's better in that role and shows real flashes of being an excellent blocker. He really really reminds me of Gronk. Plays with much more physicality than I thought he would, more so than Ebron or ASJ. I'd put him as the best TE in this draft. Bookmark me as predicting Amaro along with Abbrederis as slam dunks.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":viyveucx said:
Bookmark me as predicting Amaro along with Abbrederis as slam dunks.

I'm predicting both of those guys will be busts. Great college players who won't be able to create separation at the next level.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Amaro is the one guy I would be 100% dissappointed with picking. In fact I wouldn't want him at 64 either. Nothing about him excites me. I'm not saying he won't have success especially if he ends up with the Pats but he wouldn't even be used that much here and he doesn't block so why would we want him? I highly highly doubt we are truly interested.
I wouldn't mind nabbing Abbraderis in the fourth though.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Amaro is a mid-round talent personally, though it might be higher for a team like Seattle that values blocking a lot.

Even if Seattle considered Amaro a steal at #32 it would surprise me if they draft him. First, the TE position has been devalued a lot like RB has in recent years, and you can often get very good TE prospects in rounds 2-4 these days.

Second, Seattle only carried three TEs last season, they even cut a decently talented TE in Sean McGrath who produced immediately for Kansas City. At one point early last season the Seahawks played a handful of games with only two TEs on the entire roster. With Rice, Harvin, and Baldwin, we are much more injury prone at WR than your average NFL team- which means we are almost guaranteed to go with 6 WRs again next year- which probably means no more than 3 TEs. We already have 3 quality TEs in Miller, Willson, and McCoy, plus there's a very good chance we might sign Finley too.

I would actually be a little surprised if Seattle spends ANY draft pick on a TE. To spend their first rounder would mean they hold Amaro in very high esteem, to say the least.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kearly":14qalpy3 said:
I would actually be a little surprised if Seattle spends ANY draft pick on a TE.

Completely agree. They're sorted at TE for 2014 with the possible exception of adding Finley as a big seam target.

Smellyman

Reaction score
McGruff":lx9i7rg2 said:
hawknation2014":lx9i7rg2 said:

Willson was hurt

between Miller, Willson and McCoy, I doubt JS goes TE

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3shl8b21 said:
HuskerHawk":3shl8b21 said:
Bookmark me as predicting Amaro along with Abbrederis as slam dunks.

I'm predicting both of those guys will be busts. Great college players who won't be able to create separation at the next level.
We shall see. As far as us not needing to take a TE, I agree. I really like where we are at. Miller is a savvy vet who brings good value in both the pass and run game, Willson has exciting potential and should take a step (maybe a big one) forward, and McCoy can do good things as well. In the case of Amaro, I personally think if he's available at 32 his value is too great to pass on him. Who would not Gronk 1.5/2.0 on this team? The real question is if he has that kind of ability, which I really think he does.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":sp50vdiv said:
McGruff":sp50vdiv said:
hawknation2014":sp50vdiv said:

Willson was hurt
Willson is a GREAT athlete, no doubt. He is however raw as hell, and not much of a threat right now. He should continue to get better and might become a real weapon, but he's a ways off from that right now.