What would your ideal draft look like?

kearly

Reaction score
For me, my ideal 2014 draft would hinge on three factors:

#1: Finding a way to trade down early to add picks.

Trading down is going to be hard this year because a deep draft like this one will mean everyone wants to sell and few want to buy. The best options at WR and OL for pick #32 are going to look pretty similar to the best options at pick #50, it's pretty likely that at least a few players we'd consider at #32 will fall all the way the #64 in a draft like this one.

We probably won't get "draft chart" value with a trade this year, and we'd lose out on a potential money saving 5th year option by trading out of the first, but anything Seattle can do to add picks is fine with me.

Even if it means making a lot of small moves for 4th, 5th, 6th rounders, because you can always bundle those picks later to move into say the 3rd round. I fully expect to see some very appealing names still hanging around in rounds 3 and 4 so having the ability to move up or into those rounds with added draft ammunition is a pretty big deal.

#2: Draft at least two receivers in the first four rounds.

I wouldn't even mind if Seattle went WR-WR with their first two picks, especially if they move down first. If for example you had to choose between Moncrief and Bryant at #32, you pick one of those guys and the one you didn't pick makes it all the way to #64, wouldn't it be tempting to get both? It doesn't have to be Moncrief or Bryant, it could be Latimer / Adams, or Matthews/Robinson, etc. Whatever you want. Point is, if there was ever a draft to load up a bit at WR, this is that draft.

Granted, WR is in a roster crunch with Harvin, Rice, Baldwin, and Kearse all being above average talents, and Ricardo Lockette is suddenly looking like one of the best special teams players we've ever had. That said, four of those five are free agents in 2015 (Kearse would be RFA). Seattle has a history of being cutthroat at WR, a trait JS probably learned while in Green Bay. Meaning, it's pretty likely we'll see some significant departures at WR after next season. So dealing with a little bit of a WR roster crunch in 2014 would likely pay off in 2015 and beyond.

#3: Avoid OL at #32

Rather than going all in with Moses or Su'a Filo or Bitonio with their first pick, I'd rather see Seattle stockpile some picks and move around in rounds 3-5 for lunch pail guys who are good system fits like Billy Turner or Juwuan James. It doesn't have to be those two (though I like Turner quite a lot), but I'd much rather see Seattle take more of a quantity approach for multiple OL a little later rather than blowing a single high pick in what is a weaker than advertised 2nd wave of OL talent.

Now, if a guy like Taylor Lewan falls into range for Seattle then that's a different story. And if Seattle believes Cyrus Kouandjio's knee will be just fine then he'd make an excellent pick at #32. But barring those two scenarios, I don't really see an OL option at #32 that feels like a good value pick, especially when considering some of the playmaker talent that figures to be available there.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
If the QB's are passed over by the top five teams(as some have been reporting) I hope they are snatched up by other QB needy teams I.E. Vikings ,Tampa, Titans, Cardinals, surprise team. etc. Creating a market to trade up above the Texans and Jaguars. Hopefully netting us a third or fourth rounder.

I like Latimer and think he would still be there in the early second(should we manage a trade back) but if not I wouldn't mind getting Moncrief or Martavis bryant either.
Would love to use our late second rounder on Easly or Will Sutton. Then see what we can get in the later rounds for offensive line help and secondary players.

SDHawk

Reaction score
At #32, I would want the Hawks to target the best athlete available, regardless of position, who isn't considered a project (e.g. Ryan Shazier or Cody Latimer... Not a Ra'Shede Hageman). If Shazier or Latimer are off the board, I would expect the Hawks to trade down to target a receiver like Allen Robinson or Davante Adams near the top of the 2nd Round... guys that may not have elite athleticism but could contribute and make an impact immediately.

At #64, I would want the Hawks to target the most versatile/best athlete available for the Oline (e.g. Joel Bitonio or Laurent-Duvernay Tardif). I get that Tardif would be a huge reach at the bottom of the 2nd round, but consider that Tardif tested in the top 5 for any olineman and the versatility to play C or OT in a pinch (the versatility is key and the reason for reaching in the 2nd)... Not to mention his intellect... Sweezy started with less experience and was immediately thrown into the fire. I think we have to pull the trigger on one of these two if they're sitting there.

In the 4th... I am hoping there is a viable tackle available for the taking. We can afford to wait until the 4th because we'll have some depth, especially if we draft one of Bitonio or Tardif in the 2nd to fill out behind Bailey and Bowie. We'll have hedged some of the risk that comes with 4th round prospects... hopefully a guy like Antonio Richardson or Cyrus Kouandjio are still available due to health concerns. If not, I wouldn't mind taking a gamble on a guy like Seantrel Henderson.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
My ideal draft would be:

32: WR Cody Latimer or another WR (Robinson, etc): Huge upside. Get the body type/speed you want. No pressure to start Day 1 but can contribute, especially in the RZ.

64: OT JuWuan James: Day 1 starter IMO. Plug him in at RT.

4th Round: OT/G Brandon Thomas (knowing you redshirt him all of 2014): Huge upside play. Could become a very good OG IMO.

R5-7: Find some athletes on the DL/DE and Secondary.

I know WR is deep this year, but IMO, you grab the guy you want at 32. No need to get cute. Non-LTs IMO, can be found in the middle-later part of the draft. Like Kearly said, go with the quantity approach and see who wins.

drrew

Reaction score
32. Cyrus Kouandijo (assuming doctors say the knee(s) are fine). He has the potential to replace Okung in a couple years, if we resign Okung, then we have potential pro bowl bookends.
64. Joel Bitonio (looks like a potential 10 year RT/LG)
132. Paul Richardson (I think Baldwin goes the way of Tate next offseason, and I think Richardson is seriously underrated. He put up some incredible numbers when he was essentially the only weapon on the Colorado team)

That's a lot of draft capital being spent on the OL, and while I like the potential of Bowie and Bailey, there was just a single unit on the team that you could claim played subpar last year, and that was the OL. In an effort to continue being primarily a running offense, and in an effort to limit the hits on Russell, this would be my ideal draft.

drrew

Reaction score
Actually, my ideal draft has Jadeveon Clowney in a Seahawks uniform, above is my ideal somewhat possible draft.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Draft Latimer or Bryant @32 would be ideal for me, just because I think both those guys have #1 potential and I want a 5th year option on that WR.

I'd then like to trade out of 64 and get a 3rd Rnd pick and late round pick. I'd like Easley to fall and get him after trading out of 64, but I think once Donald leaves the board Easley will be the next best pass rushing DT. Maybe someone like Marcus Smith, Kyle Van Noy, Jaylen Watkins could be had in the 3rd round and I think all 3 of those players could be very good down the line and even make impacts as rookies. Then use whatever late round pick you get from trading down on a guy like Dion Bailey. For all the hype about this OL class I've been pretty underwhelmed. Think there is a significant drop off after the top talent leaves the board.

I want them to double up on WR, but maybe not go WR-WR, because I just think there is so much depth in this class. Even a guy like L'Damian Washington has value as a Lockette replacement with some upside.

HawkWow

Reaction score
(Though it wouldn't be enough to get it done): our 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th for the right to draft Greg Robinson. Long live our running game. Long live RW. A whoop ass O-line makes everyone better (on both sides of the ball). This we know.

nyc-seahawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":196nlz7c said:
(Though it wouldn't be enough to get it done): our 1st, 2nd, 4th and 6th for the right to draft Greg Robinson. Long live our running game. Long live RW. A whoop ass O-line makes everyone better (on both sides of the ball). This we know.

yea it would be enough...thank god we won't

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Outside of Mike Evans Greg Robinson is the other player who I think would be so perfect here.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Natethegreat":3p0knjj4 said:
Outside of Mike Evans Greg Robinson is the other player who I think would be so perfect here.

...I hear ya on that. Evans is going to change the position (imo) and I hope he does so in the AFC (if not here).

HawkWow

Reaction score
nyc-seahawk":nw9lyzsg said:
HawkWow":nw9lyzsg said:

Was this your way of saying "I have no idea what I am talking about but like to post anyway"?

Familiarize yourself with a draft value chart. perhaps then you would see that we would be absolute fools to not work such a deal if another team was dumb enough to go for it.

Even if we didn't covet Robinson, we could trade the 2nd / 3rd overall that it would take to get him and move up significantly in every rd while recovering our 3rd at the same time.

kf3339

Reaction score
kearly":2ya8tsd1 said:
For me, my ideal 2014 draft would hinge on three factors:

#1: Finding a way to trade down early to add picks.

Trading down is going to be hard this year because a deep draft like this one will mean everyone wants to sell and few want to buy. The best options at WR and OL for pick #32 are going to look pretty similar to the best options at pick #50, it's pretty likely that at least a few players we'd consider at #32 will fall all the way the #64 in a draft like this one.

We probably won't get "draft chart" value with a trade this year, and we'd lose out on a potential money saving 5th year option by trading out of the first, but anything Seattle can do to add picks is fine with me.

Even if it means making a lot of small moves for 4th, 5th, 6th rounders, because you can always bundle those picks later to move into say the 3rd round. I fully expect to see some very appealing names still hanging around in rounds 3 and 4 so having the ability to move up or into those rounds with added draft ammunition is a pretty big deal.

#2: Draft at least two receivers in the first four rounds.

I wouldn't even mind if Seattle went WR-WR with their first two picks, especially if they move down first. If for example you had to choose between Moncrief and Bryant at #32, you pick one of those guys and the one you didn't pick makes it all the way to #64, wouldn't it be tempting to get both? It doesn't have to be Moncrief or Bryant, it could be Latimer / Adams, or Matthews/Robinson, etc. Whatever you want. Point is, if there was ever a draft to load up a bit at WR, this is that draft.

Granted, WR is in a roster crunch with Harvin, Rice, Baldwin, and Kearse all being above average talents, and Ricardo Lockette is suddenly looking like one of the best special teams players we've ever had. That said, four of those five are free agents in 2015 (Kearse would be RFA). Seattle has a history of being cutthroat at WR, a trait JS probably learned while in Green Bay. Meaning, it's pretty likely we'll see some significant departures at WR after next season. So dealing with a little bit of a WR roster crunch in 2014 would likely pay off in 2015 and beyond.

#3: Avoid OL at #32

Rather than going all in with Moses or Su'a Filo or Bitonio with their first pick, I'd rather see Seattle stockpile some picks and move around in rounds 3-5 for lunch pail guys who are good system fits like Billy Turner or Juwuan James. It doesn't have to be those two (though I like Turner quite a lot), but I'd much rather see Seattle take more of a quantity approach for multiple OL a little later rather than blowing a single high pick in what is a weaker than advertised 2nd wave of OL talent.

Now, if a guy like Taylor Lewan falls into range for Seattle then that's a different story. And if Seattle believes Cyrus Kouandjio's knee will be just fine then he'd make an excellent pick at #32. But barring those two scenarios, I don't really see an OL option at #32 that feels like a good value pick, especially when considering some of the playmaker talent that figures to be available there.

Good thoughts Kearly. If you think after the first tier OL goes higher than our #32 pick then I can see us going WR early as well. The idea of perhaps Latimore/Adams would be really intriguing to me.

As for O-line you have a much better eye on those guys than most of us do.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I'm all-in on the Lattimer hype train, I think. Lets get him at 32 and O line at 64.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1sqo526k said:
I'm all-in on the Lattimer hype train, I think. Lets get him at 32 and O line at 64.

Like RW, I think Lattimer is one of those guys that is going to get a lot of GMs called into their owners office next off season. Teams picking in the bottom 1/3rd of this draft, that need receivers, better be getting a real good look, and / or have a real good explanation for passing on him.

nyc-seahawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":1sa7yesh said:
nyc-seahawk":1sa7yesh said:
HawkWow":1sa7yesh said:

Was this your way of saying "I have no idea what I am talking about but like to post anyway"?

Familiarize yourself with a draft value chart. perhaps then you would see that we would be absolute fools to not work such a deal if another team was dumb enough to go for it.

Even if we didn't covet Robinson, we could trade the 2nd / 3rd overall that it would take to get him and move up significantly in every rd while recovering our 3rd at the same time.

I'm sorry I ever questioned your expert analysis sir...why so salty though?

HawkWow

Reaction score
Contemplating the trade I proposed requires very little "expert analysis". Simple math should be enough to make one understand it would be a brilliant maneuver on our behalf. But we couldn't get Robinson with our entire 2014 draft. Not even if we threw in next year's 1st to go with it.

To answer your question, I have no appreciation for unwarranted, uneducated sarcasm.

Hawkspur

Reaction score
I hope that Houston doesn't take a QB in the first and that Bridgewater/Manziel are still there at 32, creating a rush of teams like the Jags,Browns,Vikings,Bengals,Vikings etc who are prepared to give up a 3rd or 4th to jump to the front of the queue.

As for the Hawks picks, I would ideally like the 1st 4 picks (regardless of round) to be:

1. Latimer/Moncrief
2. Bitonio/James/Moses/A. Richardson/Shazier/
3. Brent Urban/Dom Easley/Marcus Smith/Brandon Coleman
4. Jared Abberaderis/Jeff Janis/Sentrel Henderson/Josh Huff/Kevin Norwood/Devin Street