@32 our best draft pick "EVER"

Chawker

Reaction score
He is a true football player, which I believe to hold even more value then Sammy Watkins. Bold statement, or the rants of a crazy man?
A potential triple threat guy, A receiver who can catch, block (best of all receivers) and as a returner.
WR Jordan Matthews Vanderbuilt 6 3 210 The more you do your homework on him the more you'll like him. If we pass on him at 32 it will be the biggest mistake JS & PC will ever make. RW will smile with this selection.

Seafan

Reaction score
The Hawks will have to be a little lucky to get one of those top WRs especially with NO, SF, CAR and DEN drafting late but still in front of us. This draft is going to be very interesting.

General Manager

Reaction score
I like Latimer and Matthews . Matthews has everything you look for in a WR . He has the college production he had a great combine. His SPARQ numbers are excellent. He's been durable at Vanderbilt. His film is great he's versatile he can play inside and outside he did at Vandy anyway.

Latimer doesn't have the college production that Matthews has but his measurables looks awesome he's a tad faster and quicker than Matthews but not quite as polished. Latimer would be my first choice with Matthews a close second. If they take a WR in round 1 I hope it's Latimer or Matthews. I like Moses OT if they go O-line , and Tuitt and Shazier if they go defense at 32. If Moses is gone I would not take an O-lineman in round one.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Chawker":275v79sq said:
He is a true football player, which I believe to hold even more value then Sammy Watkins. Bold statement, or the rants of a crazy man?
A potential triple threat guy, A receiver who can catch, block (best of all receivers) and as a returner.
WR Jordan Matthews Vanderbuilt 6 3 210 The more you do your homework on him the more you'll like him. If we pass on him at 32 it will be the biggest mistake JS & PC will ever make. RW will smile with this selection.

Latimer is a much better blocker than Matthews and it isn't close IMO.

In fact for me, Latimer is the player people think Matthews is. Just my take but I'd have no interest in Matthews in R1 and I'd have to convince myself at #64. Just not an exciting player.

General Manager

Reaction score
Not sure what your basing that on it can't be anything concrete . His college production and combine numbers speak for themselves as does his film. Must be one of those gut feeling things that I don't share on this player . I prefer Latimer to but only slightly Matthews is still a solid pick at 32.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
I would agree that Latimer is a better blocker than Matthews judging on the tape I have watched. I would not go as far to say Latimer is the player people think Matthews is. They each have their own quirks.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
General Manager":y107q62h said:
Not sure what your basing that on it can't be anything concrete

Of course not, because anything that differs from your own opinion couldn't possibly be based on anything concrete. :sarcasm_off:

I think Matthews is one of the most overrated players in this draft by fans. I've watched more than 10 games of Vanderbilt video... dying to buy into this guy and add another top receiver to the ever growing list of WR's I'd love Seattle to draft. I just do not see it. He isn't physical. He's at his best working the slot and finding the soft spot in zone. Vandy's offense is death-by-screen-pass and you barely ever see Matthews make anyone miss on those quick hitters. For every impressive grab I've seen a couple of really sloppy drops. He drops passes that'll make Kelvin Benjamin blush.

Athletically he's very impressive in terms of measurables but that's the big head scratcher -- on the field he doesn't wow you with athleticism. He's an easy player for fans to like because he has production and he did well at the combine. The tape tells a very different story though. If it was just based on tape and the combine he'd go in the top ten. There's a reason why he won't.

Put him in New Orleans' offense and I think he could be a production machine. They love taller players in the slot and Brees attacks the middle better than anyone. In Seattle they want to win the red line, attack the sideline, compete for the ball in the air and win contested passes or 1v1's. That's simply not Matthews strong point and it's Cody Latimer's in a big way.

If Seattle drafts Jordan Matthews in round one my disappointment will only be defeated by my surprise.

bbsplitter

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3tuepr6s said:
General Manager":3tuepr6s said:

Of course not, because anything that differs from your own opinion couldn't possibly be based on anything concrete. :sarcasm_off:

I think Matthews is one of the most overrated players in this draft by fans. I've watched more than 10 games of Vanderbilt video... dying to buy into this guy and add another top receiver to the ever growing list of WR's I'd love Seattle to draft. I just do not see it. He isn't physical. He's at his best working the slot and finding the soft spot in zone. Vandy's offense is death-by-screen-pass and you barely ever see Matthews make anyone miss on those quick hitters. For every impressive grab I've seen a couple of really sloppy drops. He drops passes that'll make Kelvin Benjamin blush.

Athletically he's very impressive in terms of measurables but that's the big head scratcher -- on the field he doesn't wow you with athleticism. He's an easy player for fans to like because he has production and he did well at the combine. The tape tells a very different story though. If it was just based on tape and the combine he'd go in the top ten. There's a reason why he won't.

Put him in New Orleans' offense and I think he could be a production machine. They love taller players in the slot and Brees attacks the middle better than anyone. In Seattle they want to win the red line, attack the sideline, compete for the ball in the air and win contested passes or 1v1's. That's simply not Matthews strong point and it's Cody Latimer's in a big way.

If Seattle drafts Jordan Matthews in round one my disappointment will only be defeated by my surprise.

What games did you observe the embarrassing drops in? I've watched a couple and I don't remember anything too aggravating compared to Benjamin. He reminds me of Sidney Rice. Tentative WR with lots of Athletic ability. I wouldn't select him in the first.

General Manager

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3imirdzz said:
General Manager":3imirdzz said:

I disagree with your evaluation. He looks plenty physical to me and his hands are excellent just not seeing the same thing you are time will tell but I think your wrong . Oh and that one handed catch down the sideline with the defender in his hip pocket against Florida was terrible just terrible ya he sucks.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

I will admit, I'm completely underwhelmed every time I watch Matthews. The big question with him heading into the combine was speed. Man did he answer that by running in e 4.4s. The problem is, if he plays slow (relatively speaking) on the field, do we or should we care what he ran at the combine? The same could be said for a guy who looks fast on tape and runs slow at the combine. How much should the combine weigh over game tape, especially when you are grading physical talent (ie speed, strength)?

When I watch Matthews, I see a very valuable #2 WR in a high volume passing offense. English mentioned the New Orleans Sainst, which I think is spot on. He really does remind me of Marques Colston. Big and not very sudden, but could be a valuable possession WR.

My big concern with him on Seattle is a lack of explosive ability (speaking on field) and despite his naturally great size, doesn't own the Red Line, as opposed to a WR like OBJ, who may lack the size, but dominates the Red Line. Additionally, i think he will really struggle getting open at the next level, which is why i agree with the oversized slot WR description. It's not that I don't think he could be a good WR for Seattle, it's the fact that he's a square peg and the Seahawks are the round hole.

In the right system, I think he has very good value, I just don't think it's in Seattle and especially not at 32. I really like all his intangibles, but I just can't get beyond the fact that every time I watch him, I just can't get excited about him as a potential Seahawk.

I'm definitely not saying my thoughts are right and others wrong, but I do have a strong conviction that he is just not a fit in Seattle. Here are WRs I'd take before him for SEA: Watkins, Evans, OBJ, Latimer, Robinson, Lee, Adams, Bryant, Moncrief, Richardson. Here are the WRs that I think would provide similar skill/production in our system, but at a cheaper draft pick: Street, Fowler, Kevin Smith, Shaq Evans.

General Manager

Reaction score
I honestly don't know what your looking at his speed looks great to me on film and he consistently looks like the best WR on the field in the games I've watched. That said if you have players you would rather have at 32 that's ok with me and as I said Latimers my first choice if he's there. I can't understand how a person could dislike the pick at 32 though were basically taking the first pick in the second round and Matthews has talent.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
For me, it's pretty simple why I don't like him at 32; I just don't like the fit in Seattle. That doesn't mean I think he's bad or doesn't have talent. Again, just my opinion.

I am with you on Latimer. Absolutely love the guy. I think he is picked before Marqise Lee. That's my bold prediction.

General Manager":29j5xfwa said:
I honestly don't know what your looking at his speed looks great to me on film and he consistently looks like the best WR on the field in the games I've watched. That said if you have players you would rather have at 32 that's ok with me and as I said Latimers my first choice if he's there. I can't understand how a person could dislike the pick at 32 though were basically taking the first pick in the second round and Matthews has talent.

General Manager

Reaction score
He looks like a perfect fit to me and the kind JS likes. He's 6'3 has great SPARQ numbers . He's versatile can play in the slot or on the outside and he's a returner. Hopefully Latimers there if not though Matthews is a well rounded prospect that's checks all the boxes at WR . Moncrief and Bryant are players I'd like to see in the second round, though if they we taken at 32 I'd be ok with it.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
To each his own my friend. This is the fun part about the draft. 2 people watching the same prospect see different things.

What other WRs do you like (outside of the obvious big names)? Just curious. I watched more of Bennie Fowler today. He's very intriguing.

General Manager":3m8fnu9x said:
He looks like a perfect fit to me and the kind JS likes. He's 6'3 has great SPARQ numbers . He's versatile can play in the slot or on the outside and he's a returner. Hopefully Latimers there if not though Matthews is a well rounded prospect that's checks all the boxes at WR .

General Manager

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":znfll49p said:
To each his own my friend. This is the fun part about the draft. 2 people watching the same prospect see different things.

What other WRs do you like (outside of the obvious big names)? Just curious. I watched more of Bennie Fowler today. He's very intriguing.

General Manager":znfll49p said:
He looks like a perfect fit to me and the kind JS likes. He's 6'3 has great SPARQ numbers . He's versatile can play in the slot or on the outside and he's a returner. Hopefully Latimers there if not though Matthews is a well rounded prospect that's checks all the boxes at WR .

He probably won't be there pick anyway so hard to get a read on what there thinking and I'd rather have Latimer but I have a feeling he'll be gone. I don't have a dark horse at WR really don't need one this years draft is so deep if they took Moses and then Bryant or Adams that would suit me fine.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Against the grain a little I'd be very happy with Benjamin in the 1st, Moncrief in the 2nd, and Street in the 4th. From what I have seen I think if Street was 15lbs heavier and stronger he'd be a 1st round pick. He is tall and lankey but once in the NFL if he could add some muscle he is not afraid of anything and can go up and get it and has great body control. I imagine a perfect mix of Sidney Rice's size and extending ability and Doug Baldwin's body control and clutch catching.

General Manager

Reaction score
Well McShay was on ESPN last night and called Latimer the steal of the draft at WR. So while it's still possible he could be around at 32 the chances are greatly diminished . Moncrief and Bryant are also getting a lot of interest since the combine and are now likely to be gone before 64. It's looking more and more like the hawks will have to use the 32 ,pick unless they trade down, on one of these WR's.

Sac

Reaction score
Can't believe I'm about to side with GM over English here, but I love Matthews. He's a stud. All time SEC leader in catches. Hugely productive. Polished. And he busts his ass. To me, the competitive streak alone screams "Seahawks pick".

kigenzun

Reaction score
"Our best draft pick "EVER" @32"
Whoa, now, hold yer horses mister...

I'm with English on this one. I wanted to fall in love with Matthews, and thought he was a total stud on his SEC record breaking numbers alone, but the deeper I got into his game... (aka projecting him forward into a Seahawks uniform & depth chart in 2014...) the more underwhelmed I became over time watching his gametape. (Not his highlight reels! His actual games…) It was a strange feeling.

I wanted to get excited, but he was exposed to me instead:
A) A lot of that huge 'production' was against soft zones, behind by multiple touchdowns, late in games.
B) A huge % of his catches were designed screens. But he didn't necessarily elude guys, or break tackles for YAC all that much.
C) He consistently played smaller than his size, and looked field-slower than his freaky 4.4 combine 40...

IMO He is a 3-4 rd. grade.

Now maybe that's just my own eyeballs' opinion, not "concrete facts", but honestly I believe there are at least dozen or so better options for the Seahawks at both #32 &#64! than Jordan Matthews.

But let’s get back to addressing the real issue here:
First off, how many times does Russell Wilson throw the ball in a game? 18? 22? 25? They are a grind it out, run first, defensive based team.
Now…
How many times does, say, Drew Brees throw the ball in a game? 40?45?50? They are a "win it in a shootout" offensive based, indoor, high scoring team.

The Seahawks want to maximize those fewer total opportunities with big, explosive plays down field; especially down the sidelines. And they do it with maximum athletes and spreading the ball around. An individual receiver might have 1 or 2, maybe 3 at the most, opportunities per game, and they need to maximize those chances and make big plays. But blocking for Marshawn in the running game ALL DAY is the #1 priority. IMO that plays to someone like Evans, Latimer, Moncrief, or Benjamin.

Not necessarily skinny/small guys like Cooks, Lee, Bryant, or Matthews.

Now, admittedly Matthews is not skinny... or small... but IMO he kinda 'plays small', and is simply not a good fit for the Seahawks, scheme-wise. He seems to me a cerebral player, who plays with more ‘finesse, in-between-the-zones’, rather than with vinegar, TNT and ADB 'us against the world' violence.

For example, I don't see him going up for a critical jumpball sandwiched between 2 guys and coming down with the game-shattering TD like Kearse did against Carolina (Week 1) and SF(NFCCG). Or doing the tippy, tippy toes in Houston and later vs. New Orleans in the playoffs (while getting his helmet torn off) like ADB. BOTH had game-breaking TDs in the Super Bowl. Thus, against our depth chart, Matthews would be a #4 or #5 WR, behind ADB/Jermaine Kearse. Matthews would have trouble seeing the field in 2014, and then he'd likely be needing scripted bubble-screens to gain separation/get involved at all.

We have Percy Harvin for that.

Now maybe I'm wrong, but Jordan Matthews looks to me like a better fit for a high-volume passing attack: Denver Broncos, NE Patriots, NO Saints, or even San Diego Chargers guy…

For instance, the Saints/Broncos want to "spread you out, and kill you with a thousand cuts". Drew Brees/Peyton Manning throw the ball all over the yard 40-50 times a game. Matthews would do well there because he is a high volume receiver, (he needs a lot of catches/opportunities to finally break one) who likes to catch screens, and sit down in zones. He could generally be very productive, and easily catch 5-50, or 6-60, on 8 or 9 targets every game in that system.

BUT... in the playoffs, say, vs. a brutal Seahawky press coverage Defense, how good would Jordan Matthews be? IMO He would be shutout like Jimmy for 3 quarters, (unable to gain separation &/or holes in the zone,) and yet still catch 8-56 late in the game against the prevent, and look super productive on the stat sheet.

Can you say Eric Decker on the Broncos?
IMO That’s Matthews ceiling.
Can you say Eric Decker on the Jets?
IMO That’s his NFL reality.

God help him if he ends up somewhere like Oakland. But somehow, best case scenario, I’m thinking Jacksonville, at the top of the 3rd. He’d be the focal point of their offense, and it’d be just like Vandy!

Lots of ‘production’…but not much winning.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
Look guys, my point here is that Matthews isn't a flashy scoring WR, like alot of people are wanting, rather a awesome blue collar guy who,I think is the best "football player" in this draft. Someone who,(if asked) would return kicks, make tuff 3rd down catchs and block.
I look at what we lost in Tate and Matthews is his best replacement for him. One of the two best in this draft. 10 3/8" hands hell the refs will be lucky to find the ball once he catches it. I'll have to check his stats again but, I think he's made a couple cathes with his face, or under his chin.