Outside the box pick @ 32

pugs1

Reaction score
The Seahawks have surprised most with their first selection the last three years (Carp, Irvin & C Mike) We have read all the mock drafts and have our favorites but if PC & JS go outside the box again who do people think they would target @ 32?

My guess for the Seahawks suprise pick is BYU OLB (LEO) Kyle Van Noy

He ran a 4.71 at the combine and didn't run again at his pro day but he did have a 1.62 ten yard split. I have no doubt he plays faster than he times.

What other players could the Seahawks shock us by taking?

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Love Van Noy, but I think he is strictly a LB prospect I don't see him ever playing as a down lineman at the next level. But I think he'll be a very good OLB at the next level. As much as I like him, I can't see Sea having a 1st/2nd grade on Van Noy given the depth at the position already on the roster and his lack of pure speed which Carroll seemed to really value in his LBs.

It's a fun dream though.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
My surprise pick would be DE Kareem Martin. Has elite physical skills/size, just very inconsistent. That said, when he's "on," he is scary.

drrew

Reaction score
Austin Seferian-Jenkins - I wouldn't pick him this high, and it's not really a position of need, but he could be an 80 catch a year TE.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I concur with ASJ.

He hasn't spoken with the Seahawks.

To my knowledge I don't thing I saw him present on the local draftable players list .com posted.

We resigned McCoy, restructured Miller, and kick the tires on Finley.

I really don't see what Finley can do as a WR that ASJ can't at this part of their careers but ASJ is bigger, taller, likely faster and a much better blocker.

Then you got Carroll's friend Pat Kirwan reppin Jace Amaro for a Seahawks pick #32.

Reading in between the lines combined an active imagination it would NOT surprise me if ASJ is the pick at #32.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd say a CB like Fuller or Baptiste. A CB in the first is not a real need but we did lose WT3 and Browner so our CB depth is not as deep as many think it is.

Im also thinking drafting a DE in the first isn't something we need to do but I could see great reasons to do it.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
I've seen a few mocks (although he is steadily moving up) where Bradley Roby has fallen past #32. I don't see us passing on him if that's the case.

pcbball12

Reaction score
City Of Reign":3div9277 said:
I've seen a few mocks (although he is steadily moving up) where Bradley Roby has fallen past #32. I don't see us passing on him if that's the case.
I think Roby is very overrated and would not be surprised to see him fall out of round 1. He flashes on film, but is so inconsistent. Physical talent to be good, but not a first round player in my opinion. I guess this is the outside of the box thread though.

pcbball12

Reaction score
ivotuk":1elntevw said:
He really intrigued me from a measurable and size standpoint so I watched a lot of him. He is a late round guy that will probably get pushed up to the mid rounds because of the hawks blueprint at corner. Very bad feet, cannot plant his feet and go (which is why he really struggles in off coverage or having to change direction) horrendous tackler that cannot get off blocks (not a good quality for a big physical corner). Shows some ability in press man so he could eventually contribute if in right system, but he is a big project that is strictly special teamer for at least a few years.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Jason Verrett.

Aside from height, I don't see any way the Hawks don't have bigtime grade on him, as he could fit what they want in an inside cb to a tee. He's a little like ET/Mathieu and totally LOB.

Chawker

Reaction score
Outside the box.....ok

Our defence is a plug an play defence, hell we don't need to draft ANY defensive players at all. "We lost two DE"!!!! OH NO, THE SKY IS FALLING! Look start Wright, Wagner & Smith move Irvin to DE with Avril. Smile. We could trade Earl Thomas and be fine. Yeah! ok, trade ET to the Texans and we draft Clowny. How did I do?

two dog

Reaction score
Out of the box personified, trade picks this year and next to draft Aaron Donald. He would immediately move this
defense from Superb to frightening. Never gonna happen, we don't have the trade horsepower and our needs at
other positions preclude such a move.

More conventionally, Kareem Martin seems like a good bet to me also. Guys like him and Hageman would fare well
in a system where they play, at most, half the downs. Given our LB free agents next year a linebacker wouldn't
surprise me at all. Doesn't answer the biggest question though, the quality on the offensive line. They are going
to face some fearsome front sevens in this division.

nanomoz

Reaction score
There's major Kentwaan Balmer risk, but Haageman, the Min. DT would be interesting (and a bit of a reach). He could be Big Red+ if motivated.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Outside the box? I'm going way outside: (Clemmons gone, Avril 1-yr left, who's the new Leo?)

Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford, 6-5, 252, 33-7/8"ARMS, *11-1/8" HANDS*, 4.86/40, (pro day 4.72-4.75) 1.63-10yd, 19-reps, 35-1/2" VERTICAL, 118" broad jump, 6.78 3-cone, 4.20-20yd shuttle. Currently #71 overall at cbssports.com. (Underrated! Watch him shed blocks, 10-yd, 3-cone + explosive #' say he's special.)
2011: 40-TKLS, 10-TFL, 6.5-sacks, 1-PD.
2012: 56-TKLS, 18-TFL, 10-sacks, 1-Int (40-yd TD), 5-PD, 1-FF
2013: 62-TKLS, 23.5 TFL, 15-sacks, 1-int (30-yd TD), 6-PBU, 7-PD, 7-QBH, 2-FF & 1-blkd kick.

""Instinctive defender. Locates the ball and is a high-motor player. Functional flexibility.....Plays with a degree of toughness and physicality that every coach will appreciate..... A former steer-wrestler and plays with this mentality"". Like Allen (6-5, 260), he's one of the tougher, more ornery players I've come across. I think he'll ultimately out-play his draft selection, ""
Compares to: Jared Allen; http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... ent-murphy

FILM: Here comes the boom. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Mx35rVhmvk
:49ersmall: