Is this draft really that good?

seabowl

Reaction score
I have seen a number of articles saying how strong this draft is but after really looking through the players available I am not seeing it. No major QB's and Clowney who looks like the 1st pick even has questions. IMO it looks like an average overall draft top to bottom. Thoughts?

McGruff

Reaction score
The draft always looks bad by now. Add in the extra time this year, and everry top player has been ruthlessly picked to pieces and every bottom player relentlessly hyped up. Up is down, down is up, everyone is clueless. Its a deep draft.

I like the receivers a ton. I like the Cb's a lot. Its a good draft for OL, especially in the top 3 rounds. I like a lot of the DE's, especially the bigger ones. Its a less important position than it used to be, but I like the RB's overall. Good size/speed combos at that position with less midgets than usual.

It strikes me as a physically imposing class overall, but it is thin at TE, LB, safety and QB. Not a lot of elite pass rushers either.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Yes it is. Remember that a lot of chatter right now is agent or team driven with a lot of agendas.

-Clowney is a once in 10 year type player regardless what is being talked about.
-Mack is right up there with him.
-Watkins/Evans is as good of a WR duo we have seen come out in last 10 years (I would put them up there with AJ/Julio).
-After Watkins/Evans I would say there are a legitimate 4/5 other solid 1st round type WR's (you can argue for more, the 2nd and 3rd tier WR's in this class are the best I have seen by far).
-Matthews and Robinson are both legit franchise LT's. The 2nd tier tackles are very good as well (Lewan, Moses,James, Martin, Kouandjio). And the 3rd tier is even very good (Bitonio, Turner, Richardson).
-DT's aren't deep, but top end talent is outstanding in my opinion: Donald, Easily, Nix, Hageman, Jernigan are all 1st round talents. Tuitt, Sutton, Ellis, all very good 2nd tier guys.
-Not a good class for guards, don't have any as a 1st round guy. But there are a decent amount of 2nd-4th round guards.
-Edge rushers beyond Clowney,Mack, Ford fall off a little bit. But there is good value to be had in late 2nd/3rd round range.
-RB and Secondary are overall pretty weak as a whole, but there are still a number of guys that are solid 2nd round guys.
- QB is weak this year, but I really like Bridgewater. 1st round franchise guy to me. Manziel is huge boom/bust. Bortles needs the right system to succeed, will need playmakers around him.

Only been doing this in depth for 4 years, but this is by far the best class I have seen in that time. (although not QB, RB, or secondary). Top end is filled with elite talent with great depth going into later rounds. Gonna be a number of 1st round players taken in round 2.

Seafan

Reaction score
Not according to JS. It may be deep at WR but everywhere else is average and QB it's another below average year.

chris98251

Reaction score
It comes back to scheme and fit, coaches can make lesser known players and break more well known one's depending how they use them and coach them up. Our strength is coaching and utilization, seen many players taken only to be used badly or try to fit a mold they can't.

Curry was a freak athlete, usage was the problem and good coaching.

So I try to look at how they excelled in college and if those same situations will be available in the NFL. Many times they are not.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
You never know until a few years down the road... The thought that a record number of underclassmen are eligible for the draft has led to talk it's one of the better classes... but you also have to remember that record or near record underclassmen came out early last year and the year before, diluting the senior class.

OP
OP
seabowl

seabowl

Reaction score
pcbball12":ghvjazk7 said:
Yes it is. Remember that a lot of chatter right now is agent or team driven with a lot of agendas.

-Clowney is a once in 10 year type player regardless what is being talked about.
-Watkins/Evans is as good of a WR duo we have seen come out in last 10 years (I would put them up there with AJ/Julio).
-After Watkins/Evans I would say there are a legitimate 4/5 other solid 1st round type WR's (you can argue for more, the 2nd and 3rd tier WR's in this class are the best I have seen by far).
-Matthews and Robinson are both legit franchise LT's. The 2nd tier tackles are very good as well (Lewan, Moses,James, Martin, Kouandjio). And the 3rd tier is even very good (Bitonio, Turner, Richardson).
-DT's aren't deep, but top end talent is outstanding in my opinion: Donald, Easily, Nix, Hageman, Jernigan are all 1st round talents. Tuitt, Sutton, Ellis, all very good 2nd tier guys.
-Not a good class for guards, don't have any as a 1st round guy. But there are a decent amount of 2nd-4th round guards.
-Edge rushers beyond Clowney,Mack, Ford fall off a little bit. But there is good value to be had in late 2nd/3rd round range.
-RB and Secondary are overall pretty weak as a whole, but there are still a number of guys that are solid 2nd round guys.
- QB is weak this year, but I really like Bridgewater. 1st round franchise guy to me. Manziel is huge boom/bust. Bortles needs the right system to succeed, will need playmakers around him.

Only been doing this in depth for 4 years, but this is by far the best class I have seen in that time. (although not QB, RB, or secondary). Top end is filled with elite talent with great depth going into later rounds. Gonna be a number of 1st round players taken in round 2.

I hear you but I wouldn't be so sure on Clowney. He was a man amongst boys in college but in the pros his size and speed are matched. If he is truly going to be a DE or type of edge rusher he may have some issues getting past the as big and as fast OL. IMO I think he will be a good to very good player but not so sure if he is the once in a decade star people are putting him out to be.

pcbball12

Reaction score
seabowl":21mlxqu3 said:
pcbball12":21mlxqu3 said:

I hear you but I wouldn't be so sure on Clowney. He was a man amongst boys in college but in the pros his size and speed are matched. If he is truly going to be a DE or type of edge rusher he may have some issues getting past the as big and as fast OL. IMO I think he will be a good to very good player but not so sure if he is the once in a decade star people are putting him out to be.
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, that's all these are this time of year. Like I said, been doing in depth draft evaluation for 4 years now and Clowney is far and away the best DE I have evaluated on film in that time. Does that mean he will become an all pro/hall of fame player? No, it just means that based on this point and time in the process with all of the film/information we have, Clowney is a once in every 10 year type of player at the DE position as far as prospects go to me. His talent says he SHOULD become that type of player, but as we know there is a lot more that goes into becoming that player and a lot that can happen.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Seafan":26b2c7pj said:
Not according to JS. It may be deep at WR but everywhere else is average and QB it's another below average year.
Smoke and mirrors??? (Nah, GM's never do that this time of year. ;) ) Seriously, where did he say this? I'm interested and curious to read or listen (not doubting you.) If you have a link, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
There are 3 to 4 hof possible tallents in this draft. We won't have a shot at any of them. The value to us is that there is a larger number of the second tier guys with possible big game attributes available when we pick at the bottom.