could the seahawks trade up in the first round (early 20s)?

rightbench

Reaction score
Just a random question for you people who spend more time focusing on the draft than I ever will.

With all of the potential compensatory picks we're going to receive next year for some of the 10 players that walked away this year, could the Seahawks
potentially estimate what they're going to receive (very conservatively) and offer a pick from next years draft to move up a bit this year?

We wouldn't have to worry about being in a position with few picks next year by giving 1 up and it would mean we might be able to jump in front of a few teams (9ers, panthers, etc) and grab a receiver or Tackle that we really want.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I know the common theme is that "Seattle would never trade up," but it honestly wouldn't shock me (not saying I expect it). We know that WR and OL are clear needs and this class has a clear top shelf of them, several of which scream "Seahawk." If you had a chance to secure the prospect you really wanted, why not make a small trade up to secure that player?

Do I expect it to happen? Of course not, but I'm certainly not willing to just write the notion off, especially if a certain OL or WR falls to pick 20, that nobody expected to.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Future picks a possibility as we should get quite a few decent Comp picks in 2015. I agree though, probably won't happen.

EverydayImRusselin":12rqfv76 said:
I don't think they will because we're down to 6 picks already.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":2tyao3b9 said:
Future picks a possibility as we should get quite a few decent Comp picks in 2015. I agree though, probably won't happen.

EverydayImRusselin":2tyao3b9 said:
I don't think they will because we're down to 6 picks already.

Yeah they could do that since we're likely to get the max 4.

sutz

Reaction score
History says probably not. They're more likely to trade down into the 2nd if they could find a partner IMHO.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't rule it out.

Seattle definitely has some trends as it pertains to how they approach the draft. But one of those trends is undeniably -- that they don't strictly hold to a particular drafting dogma. They are refreshingly fluid and open minded about how they approach talent acquisition. When they say they leave no stone unturned, they mean it. And they've proved it.

Ultimately, I think Seattle is very very good at identifying guys that have gifts that they want. They are also very good at identifying players that they can develop. And finally, they are very talented at development. So naturally, those three aspects all conspire to urge us to collect as many picks as we can late and turn those 'who the heck is that' picks into the next man up in a couple years.

Right now, I think we'd all agree that Seattle doesn't need special talents to compete for conference or NFL championships. We are already there. And we have a healthy cap that will enable us to retain the special players we have. Our special players are all really young. So we don't need to acquire top tier prospects that are most likely to be special NFL players.

That said, Seattle is always looking to acquire special talents. They are never satisfied. And I believe this year is going to be a buyer's market. It should be much easier to move up than it is to move down. And less costly as well in terms of draft stock. It's a unique situation this year. And Seattle is always interested in the right move at the right price. This year the price should be more than right. The question will be will the move be right too.

I would say this. There are maybe 4 guys in the first round that we might consider special. If any one of those guys drops significantly I would not be shocked at all for Seattle to get aggressive and put the best deal on the table to move up. Seattle almost never 'wins' their drafts in terms of draft price. They win it by turning the leftover flotsam into gold.