Do you have something that makes you "Fail" a Prospect?

Yxes1122

Reaction score
This is just something I'm genuinely curious about. I'm only about 2-3 yrs into studying the draft in any real detail and still refining my "template" for what I look for in a certain position groups. What I'm curious about it whether there is a quality that makes you remove a player from your personal draft board at any specific position group.

I think an easy example would be failing a QB for displaying a complete lack of pocket presence or a WR that seems to never win in press coverage. Those are pretty vague, but I think illustrates my question. I'm not really asking about any specific position group and really just looking for insight into how some of you, who follow the draft closely, evaluate prospects. I'd imagine it isn't the easiest thing to answer seeing how many little things can be nitpicked but I think it's an interesting discussion to have.

So is there something a certain prospect at a specific position does (Or doesn't do) that makes you immediately remove them from your board?

Osprey

Reaction score
Showing up on Gruden's QB Camp and being completely unable to break down a play while obviously having spent an hour + coordinating your polo ensemble.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Osprey":4346f3tm said:
Showing up on Gruden's QB Camp and being completely unable to break down a play while obviously having spent an hour + coordinating your polo ensemble.

haha did somebody do this?

kearly

Reaction score
Short arms for outside pass rushers.

A confirmed history of 3 or more concussions- the NFL won't even let those guys play.

Absurdly awful tape.

Major Knee issues for OL/DL.

Destructive attitude that is beyond the pale (e.g. Maurice Clarrette)

QBs with no feel for the game.

Probably a lot more, those were just the first I thought of.

enamel

Reaction score
Players who rely on their athleticism to bail them out of a lack of hustle. (WR's who make insanely difficult catches because they failed to get enough separation to make the catch easy. CB's who show great recovery speed after getting their hips turned the wrong way.)

I think this is the most telling thing about character/personality. Players like this learn a hard truth once they get matched up with NFL level opponents.

seabowl

Reaction score
I hate it when teams pick players that are raw but because of their great combine or great athletic ability they are chosen much higher than they should. IMO the 2 most important factors are what they have done on the field and how they are in their interview. In the interview it's imperative to find out how they are wired. Are they motivated all the time or only at certain times?

The best example I have seen the Hawks falling into this trap is the Bruce Irvin pick. Not from the motivational standpoint but from his athletic standpoint. His college tape was average at best. It showed he was sooo raw and would need a ton of work. He is crazy athletic but I thought he was a 3rd rounder. With Russ outside of his great college tape he must have been amazing in his interviews as well.

I love the draft and started going to the draft in 1990. Outside of watching a game it's the next thing to must see tv for me.

chris98251

Reaction score
If they pass the eye test playing in college I have to look at competition, are they men amongst boys? Then what I can catch as interviews, and comments concerning a players smarts, I think you need a level of intelligence, one for life choices but also about football and how things work. Smart guys with talent typically out play not so smart guys, instincts get you so far football is a thinking game, as much as athletic.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":3iflmfj3 said:

A confirmed history of 3 or more concussions- the NFL won't even let those guys play.

Absurdly awful tape.

I'd agree with all of these. I'd add things like:

inability to track the ball in the air.

inability to catch the ball away from the body

disinterest in fighting for the ball in the air

lack of extra gear at running back.

Inability to break arm tackles at running back

Upright running style/lack of forward lean

Lack of hip flexibility to get down and out of breaks

Lethargic feet at offensive tackle

Lack of balance on OL.

Inability to navigate the wash at LOS as linebacker.

Those are generally things that I don't find 'coachable'. Either you can do these things or you can't. I like good hands, but those can be improved.

seabowl

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":ylrmob1m said:
kearly":ylrmob1m said:

Absurdly awful tape.

Lack of balance on OL.

Those are generally things that I don't find 'coachable'. Either you can do these things or you can't. I like good hands, but those can be improved.

Regarding the upright running style comment, so you would have taken Eric Dickerson off your board? Just kidding.

kearly

Reaction score
Hawk Strap":1mm7dfg8 said:
Players from the PAC 12

Huh. My internet sarcasm detector appears to be malfunctioning. This was sarcasm right?

Richard Sherman, Marshawn Lynch, Brandon Mebane, Max Unger, Jermaine Kearse, Walter Thurmond, Brandon Browner, Marcus Trufant, Anthony McCoy, Mike Morgan, Malcolm Smith, Doug Baldwin...

I'd say the Pac-12 has been pretty good to the Seahawks.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
seabowl":23we84se said:
Attyla the Hawk":23we84se said:
kearly":23we84se said:

Absurdly awful tape.

Lack of balance on OL.

Regarding the upright running style comment, so you would have taken Eric Dickerson off your board? Just kidding.

It's funny, because I thought of him when I typed that. Although he had other special gifts to compensate. Certainly he had that extra gear and the ability to break arm tackles. He'd certainly be the outlier to that sin for sure. I can't recall any other player to succeed with that kind of style. Maybe Chris Warren.

I still love the quote (although I can't recall who to attribute it to), where they noted when he ran, he was so smooth that his pads didn't make any noise.

Osprey

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3irltohw said:
Osprey":3irltohw said:

Cam Newton. He's turned out better than I expected, but I still believe his career will be disappointing compared to his potential and draft position.

two dog

Reaction score
Osprey":3glvsyf9 said:
Missing_Clink":3glvsyf9 said:
Osprey":3glvsyf9 said:

Cam Newton. He's turned out better than I expected, but I still believe his career will be disappointing compared to his potential and draft position.

Completely agree. In college he WAS a man playing with boys. He's not playing with boys anymore.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I am most interested in the players attitude and fire, will he buy into he coaches system? I would rather have a lesser athlete with the fire/ big motor than a better athlete who just shows up and thinks he get get by on his athletic ability