Is Morgan Moses a good athlete?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I just saw the latest NFL.com mock draft in which Moses is chosen for the Seahawks at No. 32 and described as "an athletic edge blocker."

Could Moses really be considered an "athletic" linemen? His 1.98 10-yard split is one of the worst of any prospect in this year's draft. The slowest linemen on the Seahawks' roster is Jeanpierre with a 1.84. Most are below 1.8. His 40 time of 5.35 would also be by far the worst of any player on the roster. Ditto for his 4.93 shuttle time. How can someone say Moses is a good athlete with a straight face?

Cyrus Kouandjio's tape is much more impressive, and despite being panned for his poor measurables, he has a superior ten-yard split, short shuttle, and three-cone in comparison to Moses.

I keep seeing Moses, Sua-Filo, and Benjamin's names showing up in these mock drafts. IMO, none of those players have any chance of being drafted by the Seahawks at No. 32.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think a lot of pundits still don't understand the Seahawks.

Moses is not a good athlete. He's got some good length IIRC, and that is where some folks get lost, but he's not nearly as explosive as we usually target.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
A more athletic RT prospect would be Laurent Dunernay-Tardif of McGill; one of the few highly rated draft prospects to receive a visit from the Seahawks.

9670662.jpg

LDT has a similar height and weight as Greg Robinson: 6'4.2'', 322 pounds, 33'' arms, and 11'' hands. He's a former defensive linemen who is smart and loves to hit people. And his measurables are off the charts for a player of his size.

LDT's 10-yard split: 1.72
Robinson's 10-yard split: 1.72

LDT's 40: 4.94
Robinson's 40: 4.92

LDT's bench press reps: 32
Robinson's bench press reps: 33

LDT's short shuttle: 4.59
Robinson's short shuttle: 4.86

LDT's 3-cone: 7.30
Robinson's 3-cone: 7.80

The only concern is having to adjust to the NFL level of competition from the Canadian level. Teams with the luxury of initially developing him as a backup will place the most value on LDT. Look for the Seahawks to snatch him up at No. 64 if he is still available.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
LDT looks pretty good, I had my sights on Billy Turner in the 2nd or if they can trade down in the 3rd. Turner is athletic and could play in ZBS

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Hawkinaz":1enrc3fy said:
LDT looks pretty good, I had my sights on Billy Turner in the 2nd or if they can trade down in the 3rd. Turner is athletic and could play in ZBS

LDT's 10-yard split: 1.72
Robinson's 10-yard split: 1.72
Turner's 10-yard split: 1.82

LDT's 40: 4.94
Robinson's 40: 4.92
Turner's 40: 5.14

LDT's bench press: 32
Robinson's bench press: 33
Turner's bench press: 28

LDT's short shuttle: 4.59
Robinson's short shuttle: 4.86
Turner's short shuttle: 4.71

LDT's 3-cone: 7.30
Robinson's 3-cone: 7.80
Turner's 3-cone: 7.92

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
This is a funny quote from a scout about Morgan Moses that was recently published by Bob McGinn:

http://seahawksdraftblog.com

“I was disappointed in him, I really was… He looks like Tarzan but kind of plays like Jane.

“In September, I’d have said forget this guy, he’s overrated… But the guy had a really good year doing what he does best, and that’s outside pass pro. Not a good play-strength guy. Not a good run blocker. Has never really embraced the whole process as far as passion and work ethic.

“He’s got some fatal flaws in terms of stiffness… I could see him being a starter but not a very good starter.

“He may sneak into the bottom of the first. He’s a better player than (Seantrel) Henderson and (Antonio) Richardson and a 1,000 times better kid and teammate.

“Those Virginia offensive linemen scare the heck out of me… They’re always athletic as heck but they’re soft. There’s something about Virginia. Maybe it’s too academic or something.”