What do you think of drafting LB?

Largent80

Reaction score
Being that...Smith and K.J. Wright will become unrestricted free agents after this season, and Bobby Wagner and Bruce Irvin will become unrestricted free agents the following year. While the Seahawks shouldn’t need much help at linebacker this season, they could use depth for the future. So would you take a guy like Shazier?

QuahHawk

Reaction score
No, because I think Lb's can come in and contribute as rookies. No reason to keep a talent on the bench for a full year. Plus starting lb's are found in the 3rd- 5th every year.

TheWebHead

Reaction score
It's on the list, and I'd have no problem drafting a LB. Short of Shazier falling to #32, I'd suspect that would be a target rounds 4-6

sutz

Reaction score
I think of LB a lot like I think of OL. If there is a guy there that is currently BPA, you jump. I'm not sure there is anybody who will be that guy on Day One/#32. But I'm always up for developmental depth in Rds 3-7.

Chawker

Reaction score
Largent80":1emx90pq said:
Being that...Smith and K.J. Wright will become unrestricted free agents after this season, and Bobby Wagner and Bruce Irvin will become unrestricted free agents the following year. While the Seahawks shouldn’t need much help at linebacker this season, they could use depth for the future. So would you take a guy like Shazier?

Last year when Bobby Wagner was injured and missed a couple of games I noticed that our defence lacked its normal punch. Smith is not a middle linebacker, he is a good utility linebacker preferred position "outside". Now with that being said, he did the job until Wagner was able to return.
This position should warrant some attention in this years draft but not until the later rounds. cheers

OP
OP
Largent80

Largent80

Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't suggesting our first pick. However, I am feeling we trade back and aqquire more mid round picks to address OL and LB.

sutz

Reaction score
Wouldn't surprise me if they trade back. Seems much more likely than trying to move up in the first, especially given their history.

Whatever, it's looking like watching Thurs night might be a waste for Seahawks fans. :229031_shrug:

gmor

Reaction score
I agree that we should look ahead. The fifth round is projected to have some good talent available.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Largent80":trc2w2nn said:
The linebacker group can use depth, but I don't see them drafting Shazier with their first pick. We've got two WLB who are fighting for playing time now. Why add a third? There's other positions who have the same depth questions that are more valuable than another weakside backer which, imo, is one of the least important position on this defense.

The front office has brought in for a visit a number of solid prospects who project as mid to late rounders. I think they are more likely to go in that direction than draft one with their first pick. If it's for depth purposes and a chance as a starter next year, it makes more sense to me to draft a developmental LBer who has the talent, but needs polishing.

Chawker":trc2w2nn said:
Last year when Bobby Wagner was injured and missed a couple of games I noticed that our defence lacked its normal punch. Smith is not a middle linebacker, he is a good utility linebacker preferred position "outside". Now with that being said, he did the job until Wagner was able to return.
This position should warrant some attention in this years draft but not until the later rounds. cheers
Small correction, but K.J. Wright switched over to Wagner's MLB spot in those couple games and Smith took over at WLB.

McGruff

Reaction score
Shazier is the only guy I'd take early. And I'd take him if there.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Largent80":prc4fx0i said:

That would represent a strict adherence to drafting the best player available vs. drafting by need. Linebacker ranks quite a ways down the list on our positions of need. Pete has shown that he drafts more by need than he does by BPA, at least in the first and second rounds, with a few exceptions, like Michael in the 2nd last season. IMO we'd have to see a real steal to draft a LB at #32.

But who knows. I've stopped trying to guess what Pete's going to do on draft day. Chances are he'll draft someone no one ever thought of.

kearly

Reaction score
I would be okay with Kyle Van Noy or CJ Mosely. Shazier I would be okay with in the middle rounds, but it looks like he'll go much earlier than that.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
I think Carroll/Schneider would take Ryan Shazier as high as No. 32, but it's unlikely he will get passed the Green Bay Packers. Shazier is a freak athlete who could grow into an All-Pro level starter at any of the three LB positions.

If Shazier is not there, as expected, I like the idea of considering Lamin Barrow at No. 132. He's more of a developmental prospect than Shazier, but with a year of coaching, he could develop into a very productive starter. Khairi Fortt is another intriguing athlete.

I also like Shayne Skov as a possible replacement at SLB for K.J. Wright. He's underrated in coverage against taller receivers and TEs, possesses phenonominal instincts, and is extremely explosive to the football. Landing him at No. 132 or below would be quite a coup.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
After this year we will. If we get a guy that could sit for a year and be an effective backup it would help. I really like Mosley

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
There are several prospects that I think we'll target in the 4th through 6th round range. Probably development types.

Guardian

Reaction score
Speaking of looking for linebackers in the middle rounds, can I get some opinions on Telvin Smith at the end of the 4th round? 6'3", 4.52 40 time. I think he has good instincts, he's an explosive hitter, a natural leader, and a fiery competitor. Potentially Bam Bam playing linebacker.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Guardian":1440mm61 said:
Speaking of looking for linebackers in the middle rounds, can I get some opinions on Telvin Smith at the end of the 4th round? 6'3", 4.52 40 time. I think he has good instincts, he's an explosive hitter, a natural leader, and a fiery competitor. Potentially Bam Bam playing linebacker.
I think teams are hoping he's the next Chancellor and at 218 lbs he may be making the switch to Safety.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think we will definitely see one drafted in the middle rounds.. dont think one gets picked in R1/R2 though.. I think R1/R2 will be OL, DL, WR, trade back