More than four offensive linemen with a 1st Round grade?

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It's a given that Greg Robinson, Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews, and Zach Martin will all be off the board before No. 32.

I'm not a fan of the tape on Xavier Su'a-Filo or Morgan Moses. Cyrus Kouandjio has pretty good tape, but I'm concerned about his lack of explosiveness due to his knee problems. I don't think the Seahawks will want another James Carpenter situation.

That leaves Joel Bitonio and Ja'Wuan James as the only two remaining players, outside of the Big Four, who should be considered in the First Round. Of the two, I'm more impressed by Bitionio, but it's hard to see him as an OT prospect. James seems like the riskier pick.

No wonder Schneider wants to trade down.

kearly

Reaction score
Marcus Martin is picking up steam, so much so that he's going to be there in person at Radio City Music Hall. Which is a shame, because he's a perfect fit for us in just about every way, I was really hoping he'd slip under the radar and give us a chance for him at #64. He's one of the better run blocking centers I've seen in a long time. He could probably handle guard just fine, and if Unger proves to be bad even when healthy, passing on Martin could end up being a move Seattle regrets.

Sounds like Seattle won't even get the chance to pass on him though. He's been meeting with a lot of teams that pick in the back half of the 1st round.

danp1990

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2gsfd5ai said:
It's a given that Greg Robinson, Taylor Lewan, Jake Matthews, and Zach Martin will all be off the board before No. 32.

I'm not a fan of the tape on Xavier Su'a-Filo or Morgan Moses. Cyrus Kouandjio has pretty good tape, but I'm concerned about his lack of explosiveness due to his knee problems. I don't think the Seahawks will want another James Carpenter situation.

That leaves Joel Bitonio and Ja'Wuan James as the only two remaining players, outside of the Big Four, who should be considered in the First Round. Of the two, I'm more impressed by Bitionio, but it's hard to see him as an OT prospect. James seems like the riskier pick.

No wonder Schneider wants to trade down.

Amen Brother!...LOL :D But yea its true there's next to nothing left worth a ''1st Round grade'' to Draft at 32,nothing that we're looking for at least. Now if there's a team that wants a QB like 5-6 teams do and are saying the don't want draft one in the 1st we have great leverage! We Basically hold the first pick of the 2nd Round. A lot of value in that pick because teams will want a QB in the 2nd. we can definately pick up a 3rd,4th,5th,and a 7th. Teams that have a lot of picks needing a QB

Houston Texans-11
Jags-11
Browns- 9 I don't see it though since they hold the 26th overall pick from Colts/RB Trent Richardson Trade 2013.
Jets-''12''! God Damn Picks- and Geno, and Vick aren't a future.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":27dzscwt said:
Marcus Martin is picking up steam, so much so that he's going to be there in person at Radio City Music Hall. Which is a shame, because he's a perfect fit for us in just about every way, I was really hoping he'd slip under the radar and give us a chance for him at #64. He's one of the better run blocking centers I've seen in a long time. He could probably handle guard just fine, and if Unger proves to be bad even when healthy, passing on Martin could end up being a move Seattle regrets.

Sounds like Seattle won't even get the chance to pass on him though. He's been meeting with a lot of teams that pick in the back half of the 1st round.

It's a late pre-draft smokescreen. Martin will be there at No. 64, but the Seahawks won't consider taking him.

Here's what some scouts had to say about Martin:

"On tape he looked like he was a pudgy little rascal," one scout said. "He had a little bit of uneven in his play. I wondered about strength if he gets covered up with a nose. He was real competitive. You knew he was leading the pack. He was athletic enough with good strength, not great strength." Started 20 games at LG before moving to the pivot in 2013 and starting 13. "Better player than he is an athlete," another scout said. "He's not great at the second level. Kind of a Steady-Eddie, but effective." Longest arms (34) among centers. Wonderlic of 20. "Boy, I didn't like that guy at all," a third scout said. "I thought that guy was soft and non-physical. He's got a bad body."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... z30scOoyFR

CPHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3taeyvm9 said:
kearly":3taeyvm9 said:

It's a late pre-draft smokescreen. Martin will be there at No. 64, but the Seahawks won't consider taking him.

"On tape he looked like he was a pudgy little rascal," one scout said. "He had a little bit of uneven in his play. I wondered about strength if he gets covered up with a nose. He was real competitive. You knew he was leading the pack. He was athletic enough with good strength, not great strength." Started 20 games at LG before moving to the pivot in 2013 and starting 13. "Better player than he is an athlete," another scout said. "He's not great at the second level. Kind of a Steady-Eddie, but effective." Longest arms (34) among centers. Wonderlic of 20. "Boy, I didn't like that guy at all," a third scout said. "I thought that guy was soft and non-physical. He's got a bad body."

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/ ... z30scOoyFR

I care more about what our scouts have to say. These unnamed scouts could work for the cowboys, browns or jags. And we've seen how well those scouts do.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
CPHawk":25k89d63 said:
I care more about what our scouts have to say. These unnamed scouts could work for the cowboys, browns or jags. And we've seen how well those scouts do.

Unfortunately, our scouts aren't allowed to comment on such things for obvious reasons. I agree with this assessment of Martin; would not touch him in the first three rounds. Slow, weak, and inconsistent. I don't think he's an NFL starter.

I have watched every game he's played in the last three years. I remember all the sacks and tackles for loss Martin allowed this year. I watched him get benched after giving up two sacks against Stanford in 2012, and then he got benched again in the Sun Bowl after allowing two sacks against Notre Dame. On top of that, he has knee problems. He's not an NFL player.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Just an FYI, Marcus Martin turned 20 at the end of November. He played for 3 years at a major football program as a 19 year old and younger. That's nuts. He has at minimum another 2-3 years of serious physical development.

XSF is 23. If you don't think that 3 years of physical development is a major advantage at this age, I don't know what to tell you. It's about what Martin will become, not what he is right now. I think some of you writing him off as what he did as a 17-19 year old in a major conference are doing yourself a disservice.

OP
OP
hawknation2014

hawknation2014

Reaction score
two dog":fmxzoa9a said:
If Ja'Wuan James is not taken by pick 32, he will be a Seahawk.

I wouldn't hate that pick. I just think James is incredibly pedestrian and lacks explosiveness in the run game. It's a risky pick to to the extent that mediocre blocking in college sometimes means subpar blocking in the NFL.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2014":29i7woaz said:
kearly":29i7woaz said:

SI's Tony Pauline is pretty reputable when it comes to a player's draft stock when it isn't tied to a specific team, and he's said recently that Martin is being looked at by a lot of teams late in the 1st. Also, you don't see a lot of 2nd/3rd round guys heading to New York to attend the draft in person. Obviously, Martin and his agent know something.

It's honestly not that strange, Martin is rated as the top center by some, and the #1 centers often get drafted in the back half of the first round. Rob Rang compared him to Alex Mack.

Combine testing is pretty worthless for OL. Bench press doesn't measure drive block strength, forty doesn't measure how quick an OL's first three steps are... the drills might have some use for tackles to see how fluid their sidestep is, but interior OL almost might as well not show up because the tests just don't tell you much.

Seattle is always looking for run blockers. Ass kickers, as Scotte perfectly puts it. Martin is an asskicker, by center standards at least. He plays hard, and he's strong. And he's young. Seems like a good player who was picked apart too much by a few fidgety scouts.

kearly

Reaction score
Ja'Wuan James looks like a baby. Probably the baby of Bryan Bulaga and James Carpenter.

drdevin

Reaction score
That's a head scratcher Kearly. I can't interpret whether you mean this in a good or bad way? James would be my # 1 realistic pick for the Hawks @ 32. OT is one of the few MUSTS for competition and quality depth.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think he just means physically his face is that of a massive baby.

James will be long gone by #32 unfortunately. Too technically solid, prototype size with the ability to start day one. Won't get past Miami at #19.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Tonight on the NFL network Isen and Mayock are predicting that the top four elite caliber OT's will be off the board by the 15th pick. They also think the top center and guard will be gone. They had the elite WR's go too. They only had one QB go before our pick but we already have 4 of those So they have us mocked to pick TE Amaro instead. I sure hope out staff can pull a rabbit out of their arse like they did in 2012 draft.

sc85sis

Reaction score
kearly":1ojv84gt said:

I have refrained from really talking up Marcus because everyone knows I'm a USC homer, plus I'm anything but an expert at player analysis. Having said that, I agree with you.

Marcus started at guard as a true freshman and played there for two years before moving to center last season. I suspect he hasn't come near his ceiling yet.

If there were more centers in this draft I think we could snag him. As it is, he will likely go in the first because there are apparently center-needy teams who could take him; from what I've read, he's generally considered the best in the draft at that position.

Also heard from a bunch of 'SC folks that he's a really good kid too.