What I think Seattle does tomorrow & my final mock draft

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Here we go then... one day left. Here's how I think Seattle approaches this.

LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/the-final-2014-mock-draft

I believe, first and foremost, they’d love to come away with a starting right tackle. As John Schneider often mentions, they grade for the team and not the league. When he looks at Seattle’s depth chart and sees Michael Bowie as the only realistic starter — I suspect he feels that’s an area they can make a significant upgrade. No disrespect to Bowie — but he is what he is. I’m not convinced they’d have faith in him to work the blindside if Russell Okung suffers another injury. They can’t have another situation where a player like Paul McQuistan plays multiple games at left tackle. The guy on the right side needs to be able to move across. I’m not sure Bowie is that man.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
A Bama linemen with a history of knee injuries and conditioning problems. :180670:

I actually do like his tape better than Moses or James . . . but not at 32.

kearly

Reaction score
I like CK, a lot, but with so many teams being scared off by his medical it is very likely that he will fall very far in the draft. Even the teams that are more hopeful about his health will probably think "we can get him later" and pass anyway.

Marcus Martin doesn't reach Seattle in your mock but the more I think about it the more sense he makes. Seattle doesn't just need "a guy" to plug in at OL, they need a mean streak guy who will knock defensive lineman on their asses with regularity. I am by no means an expert on every OL in this draft, but Martin and Turner are the two guys I watched and thought had very bright futures as run blockers in the NFL. If Seattle could walk out of this draft with both of them somehow... wow.

Not saying he's going to be the guy, but if we do trade down I'd keep an eye on Davante Adams. He was one of two high profile WRs to make a VMAC visit, and he'd be a very good fit for our offense.

Chawker

Reaction score
I think you did a great job on your mock draft Rob! A hellva lot better then what I usually come up with. CHEERS

General Manager

Reaction score
It depends on how these QB's fall if there's a run on them then we probably stand pat in the first and take x player. If some of these QB's aren't taken then we could trade down. One of the teams that need a QB could sneak back into round one and take there QB with a trade from Seattle.

Pick6

Reaction score
I'm hoping to trade down to be honest. I want more picks in this draft.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":37futqr3 said:

I believe, first and foremost, they’d love to come away with a starting right tackle. As John Schneider often mentions, they grade for the team and not the league. When he looks at Seattle’s depth chart and sees Michael Bowie as the only realistic starter — I suspect he feels that’s an area they can make a significant upgrade. No disrespect to Bowie — but he is what he is. I’m not convinced they’d have faith in him to work the blindside if Russell Okung suffers another injury. They can’t have another situation where a player like Paul McQuistan plays multiple games at left tackle. The guy on the right side needs to be able to move across. I’m not sure Bowie is that man.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... -rankings/

And what is Bowie? Schneider has already said he would get the first crack at the RT position. Bowie was impressive in his nine starts. He was explosive off the ball and knocked people off the line of scrimmage in the running game. PFF gave Bowie the highest grade of any offensive linemen on our roster; that's at least some indication that Bowie is going to develop into a pretty good player for us.

The likelihood that Kouandjio could come in and start ahead of Bowie seems minute. He's not the explosive player he was before his knee injuries. They do need someone to push Bowie for depth purposes, but they could probably find that later in the draft. Fleming? Turner? Graf? LDT?

Fudwamper

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3mdrh9r3 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3mdrh9r3 said:

And what is Bowie? Schneider has already said he would get the first crack at the RT position. Bowie was impressive in his nine starts. He was explosive off the ball and knocked people off the line of scrimmage in the running game. PFF gave Bowie the highest grade of any offensive linemen on our roster; that's at least some indication that Bowie is going to develop into a pretty good player for us.

The likelihood that Kouandjio could come in and start ahead of Bowie seems minute. He's not the explosive player he was before his knee injuries. They do need someone to push Bowie for depth purposes, but they could probably find that later in the draft. Fleming? Turner? Graf? LDT?

I wrote a few pieces on Bowie this year. The biggest thing that stands out is his awareness. He did not do a good job communicating with his guard and 2-4 times a game let a man come in untouched. He is a developing player not a player that would be hard to push for a starting spot.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Fudwamper":2ighxwpc said:
hawknation2014":2ighxwpc said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2ighxwpc said:

I wrote a few pieces on Bowie this year. The biggest thing that stands out is his awareness. He did not do a good job communicating with his guard and 2-4 times a game let a man come in untouched. He is a developing player not a player that would be hard to push for a starting spot.

That's called being a rookie. Do you think they let Breno go to the Jets for $4.5 million if they didn't think Bowie had a chance to be really good?

two dog

Reaction score
I don't think they had much choice but to let Breno go. In their cap circumstances $4.5 mil.
is too much for a right tackle. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them select someone
like Michael schofield or Duvernay-tardif in the middle rounds.

Actually, I expect them to trade out of the 34 into the top half of round 2 for more 4th/5th
round picks. Don't know who they would target in the second but I really like Deone
Bucannon. Bigger, faster, stronger, right ?

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":23wko26m said:

I like Bowie as the starting RT next year and I think Alvin Bailey is better suited for the left in a pinch than any other O-lineman currently on the squad. Bailey is able to move fast enough to be an effective 3TE or whatever that was against the 9ers in the NFCC his rookie season. Bailey's rookie potential with a full offseason program to develop his strength and technique. I would'nt compare Bailey's athletic ability to McQuistan and Bailey has some long arms on him too alot like Brandon Thomas in this years draft. So I think Seattle can add depth in the middle rounds you need play makers in the first two be it defense or offense.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Well yeah, I'm also a lot more interested in Bitonio. But like a few others he was off the board.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3v3md0bq said:
Well yeah, I'm also a lot more interested in Bitonio. But like a few others he was off the board.
And I agree with you that is the most likely scenario I'm afraid. I've stated on other threads that we go D-Line for freshness rotation purposes unless an O-lineman they absolutely love drops in their lap. Maybe CK is that guy. :229031_shrug:

I don't see WR til the end of the 2nd myself. When do you see a WR picked?

And btw, thanks for all your efforts all year long on your blog Rob. Always enjoy reading your stuff.

aawolf

Reaction score
I like your thinking in regards to Seattle.

If I were a Cowboys fan, and they picked Marquez Lee, I'd be pissed though. I've never seen a team more in need of defensive playmakers and passing on Anthony Barr, Calvin Pryor, Bradly Roby, and Justin Gilbert would be too much for me to take.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I think the late second/early third will be a good spot to get a wide out if 7-8 are off the board before #32.

I'd love to get a really explosive player in R1-- preferably on defense. Get the rest of the NFC West panicking about that unit getting better.

aawolf -- my thinking on Dallas is... that defense is so bad one player might not make a difference. They went 8-8 last year despite a horrific DEF. If they can make that offense even more potent, it's really their best way to win for me. Whatever happens that defense will suck in 2014.

aawolf

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1xxfqeb1 said:
aawolf -- my thinking on Dallas is... that defense is so bad one player might not make a difference. They went 8-8 last year despite a horrific DEF. If they can make that offense even more potent, it's really their best way to win for me. Whatever happens that defense will suck in 2014.

Maybe, but you can't just give up on the defense that was historically bad. There is very little chance that ANY projected first round defensive selection, no matter the position, with moderate upside, would not start immediately in Dallas. What would be more stupid than picking another offensive weapon is picking a QB to sit on the bench, which is what Mayock thinks they will do when they draft Manzeil. Seriously? This would be such a bad move and validates Jerrah's legacy.