Who was the biggest 1st round reach in your opinion?

kearly

Reaction score
My opinion:

Blake Bortles. Not even the best QB in the draft, IMO. Jacksonville would have been able to get a QB in round 2 almost guaranteed. Both Watkins and Mack are super-studs and filled big needs for Jacksonville. Whoops.

Zack Martin. Seems so damn ordinary to me, what am I missing? James Carpenter with hype.

Some of those corners left the board too early, though with such a huge run on DBs early, I'll cut those teams some slack. Especially Cleveland, who reached for a corner early but still had a masterful 1st round.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bortles is the easiest one.

Eric Ebron went about 20 picks early.

Kelvin Benjamin I didn't like until the early 3rd, but I'm pretty alone in that opinion.

Happy

Reaction score
That Bortles Pick is gonna be really hard for David Caldwell to live down. It simply made no sense. I feel bad for Jags fans, the last GM drafted a punter in the 3rd, and now this. Factory of sadness stuff.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Bortles by far. Jimmie Ward as well.. was actually surprised the 49ers didn't move up into the Top 12 to grab someone with the picks they have.

seabowl

Reaction score
Barr. He has bust written all over him.

rsm650

Reaction score
For the Bortles pick: I guess JAX grabbed Bortles at 3 because they didn't want to risk another team ranking Bortles as the best QB on their board. If they traded down then the Raiders, Browns, or Vikings could've sniped him away from the Jags. I know the general public isn't very high on Bortles, but that's how I try to justify it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Philly, Marcus Smith. Not even close. I don't like the Bortles pick, but Marcus Smith was a Who? pick.

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Who was the 5'9" CB the Chargers drafted?

Watched his "highlights" and laughed my ass off. That little mouse fart just gets shoved off the line. And that is in college. It will be sad to watch him vs these giant NfL wideouts.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1qgzokq4 said:
Philly, Marcus Smith. Not even close. I don't like the Bortles pick, but Marcus Smith was a Who? pick.

I don't know much about him, though his highlights looked pretty good actually, and he had 14.5 sacks last season if I heard them right. Not bad considering how terrible this pass rusher group was after the top two picks.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Bortles by far.

Seems better than gabbert so maaaaaayyyybe they draft their qbotf next time

amill87

Reaction score
Eh. I think we gotta move away from this value thing. If the Jags feel like Bortes is their guy than they made the right pick. The argument of they could've got a better player if they waited or whatever seems silly.

The draft can be a crap shoot. Can't miss prospects flame out all the time and terrible reaches turn into all pros. Assigning value before these guys hit the field as a pro is just for s and giggles.

How soon have we forgotten what a reach Russell Wilson was to many.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
amill87":2xcg260i said:
Eh. I think we gotta move away from this value thing. If the Jags feel like Bortes is their guy than they made the right pick. The argument of they could've got a better player if they waited or whatever seems silly.

Well, we got Russell in the third round. We could have taken him in the second, but if we did, we very likely would not have Bobby Wagner right now.

It was the draft's worst kept secret that multiple QBs were going to fall in this draft. They did not need to take a QB so early and should have known as much. And because they took Bortles so early, they missed out on one of the best WR prospects of the last decade.

If Bortles was a legit franchise QB prospect I would be more understanding. But personally, I think the guy is a slightly better version of Jake Locker.

amill87

Reaction score
Yeah that's all true.

Maybe I'm just a wuss and just accept I'm wrong about everything in the draft so I don't even attempt to put value on picks so early

tooshort

Reaction score
kearly":1yshkg1p said:
amill87":1yshkg1p said:

Well, we got Russell in the third round. We could have taken him in the second, but if we did, we very likely would not have Bobby Wagner right now.

It was the draft's worst kept secret that multiple QBs were going to fall in this draft. They did not need to take a QB so early and should have known as much. And because they took Bortles so early, they missed out on one of the best WR prospects of the last decade.

If Bortles was a legit franchise QB prospect I would be more understanding. But personally, I think the guy is a slightly better version of Jake Locker.

You say a slightly better Locker, I say a slightly worse (and much less Rapey) BigBen. Then you add Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson and it makes some sense, only question I have is "does it make as much sense as Watkins, Derek Carr and Allen Robinson?"

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Bortles was by far the biggest reach.

The Niners selecting a slender, weak safety who is slow to diagnose plays and has an attitude problem would be second worst for me.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Bordels has to be it, but I really like both of the WR they drafted for him to throw to. Good WR can make a Qb look good.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Dominique Easly. I'm a firm believer that people love Florida Gator DTs based on past history. Sharif Floyd was that guy last year, and Jaye Howard was the guy before that. I predict that he will have an average career, but we shall see. Belicheck is a damn good DC and can make average players look all world.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
In fairness Easley is ten times the player Jaye Howard was... and he's a darn site better than Floyd too. Incredible player.