Justin Britt will compete for RT

danp1990

Reaction score
looks like Justin Britt will compete for RT article quote by Clare Farnsworth

''Justin Britt, an ornery, nasty blocker from Missouri who will compete with Michael Bowie for the right tackle spot that opened when Breno Giacomini signed with the New York Jets in free agency.''

Britt, meanwhile, is a 6-6, 325-pounder who plays the game the way line coach Tom Cable wants it to be played. It was Cable who used the terms ornery and nasty to describe Britt. And he was smiling when he did it.

“He’s an ornery, nasty guy that plays the game the right way,” Cable said.

Asked about the tags, Britt offered, “I went into (last) season wanting the guys I went against to remember me. It was my last year, so I wanted to leave a mark in their mind and have them remember me. If nasty is the word you want to use, then I’m nasty.”

Nasty in the way the Seahawks like their linemen. :D

“He’s no-nonsense,” Cable said. “That’s our kind of guy. Guys that love to compete.

Cable was targeting two linemen with the last pick in the second round. One went earlier, but Britt was there.

“So it was great,” Cable said. “With the departure of Breno, filling that need and then creating the right competition so that we get a good player at right tackle, this worked out perfectly.

“It’s a perfect hit for us at what we need to have right now.”

hawknation2014

Reaction score
It appears Bailey will be staying at LT, meaning they could use a talented guard to compete with James Carpenter. Cyril Richardson? David Yankey? Laurent Duvernay-Tardif?

OP
OP
D

danp1990

Reaction score
Honestly i believe we have too many guards already with "Bowie, Van Roten,Schilling, Sweezy,Hauptman,Carpenter.thats 6 guards already i could see us drafting one more but with the 4th 108 pick we'll draft L.D.T Of McGill Canada or Tackle Tiny Richardson of Tennessee IMHO.going into this Off Season that was the biggest area of concern.

cover-2

Reaction score
I am a little underwhelmed with Britt especially in the 2nd round. Britt has been described as ornery and nasty, but I didn't really see him play like that in the game that I provided below. I don't like that Cable seems to have such a big influence on the offensive lineman we draft, considering the bust of Carpenter & Moffitt were Cable's guys.

It seems as though the Seahawks were looking for a OT that may be more polished and can possibly start, but that also have a low floor & low ceiling as a prospect. I suspect we will target another OT that has much more upside like (OT) Laurent Duvernay-Tardif.

Here is one of Britt's games if you want to get a look at our new RT.
[youtube]1s5mM1UbXlc[/youtube]

Here is an interview he did during this past season.
[youtube]ps9aYP61k7c[/youtube]

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
The first few minutes of that video I thought he was playing RT and I was impressed, and I kept noticing the LT getting beat a lot in pass protection. Then I realized Britt was the LT.

Hope Cable can mold him.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I know this is blasphemy, but while I'm "ok" with the Richardson pick, I can't help but have lost faith in Cable/O-line scouting. I know, this really isn't fair because Britt hasn't played a snap, but man, how underwhelming can we get with highly drafted OL? I hate to be negative Nancy here, but we are pretty much looking at 3/4 of our most highly drafted OL not being able to become even average starters. That's horrible and IMO, really needs to be reevaluated.

Again, I admit that this is entirely unfair without having Britt played a snap, but man, he just wasn't very good in college from everything I've seen. I'm getting tired of using good draft capital on these OL who we seem to look to replace/upgrade after a year or 2. At some point, wasting thismtype of draft capital will catch up to us.

I do have faith in PC/JS, but I gotta be blunt when I say I think they get way too cute with our high end picks. STL is building a monster and this could get ugly in a year or 2, when we can't give RW an inch of breathing room. I sincerely hope I'm wrong on this, but I have a bad feeling with the OL, again thanks to drafting like this.

justafan

Reaction score
If you pick a RT in the 2nd considering who we have he should be the favorite to start.
As far as Cables scouting if he does play a big role in the draft he has been pretty bad.
You can say he did a great job with Sweezy and Bowie but both players won the position through default.
A combination of missed draft picks and injuries opened the door.
They draft Carp as a RT and he missed.Moffitt as a G was a fail.

ivotuk

Reaction score
The only Olineman they have drafted that has panned out was a defensive tackle, Sweezy.

Alex Gibbs is the one that chose Okung, and that was because Trent Williams was already gone.

As much as people like to bash on Tim Ruskell, he's the one that got us Max Unger and the 14th overall pick that turned in to Earl Thomas. ET was a no-brainer and people were surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Again, its not Cable's fault that Carpenter derailed his career with unfortunate injuries.

And its not Cable's fault that Moffitt didn't have the heart to put in the work.

Its also not Cable's fault that the 2011 Draft Class for O-Line Was Horrendously Bad.

But the guy is putting in his work...

Sweezy is going to be all around some day.

Carpenter has a make or break season.

He turned Unger into an All-Pro after he floundered his first two seasons.

He turned Giacomini into UDFA to quality starter.

He turned Paul McQuistan to Out of League to ZBS teachers pet and got a lot of starts out of
him.

He turn guys like Bowie and Bailey into viable players capable of starting despite both being 21 last year.

Jeanpierre is plenty solid and he went un-drafted and has been solid in his starting opps.

Ryan Seymour was good enough to get poached and remain on the 49ers active roster.

Jared Smith is still developing and who knows what he'll become this early in his project.

But because unfortunate situations happened to prospects in a underwhelming draft... Cable doesn't know what he's doing? He doesn't know what he wants from his linemen and what they need to compete in his system?

Just somebody, anybody give me names of offensive linemen from the 2011 class that would've been better served... do the research... you'll find nobody worthy... would the 1st and 3rd been enough to trade up and leap frog NE for Nate Solder?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":1fru3ex6 said:
Again, its not Cable's fault that Carpenter derailed his career with unfortunate injuries.

And its not Cable's fault that Moffitt didn't have the heart to put in the work.

Its also not Cable's fault that the 2011 Draft Class for O-Line Was Horrendously Bad.

But the guy is putting in his work...

Sweezy is going to be all around some day.

Carpenter has a make or break season.

He turned Unger into an All-Pro after he floundered his first two seasons.

He turned Giacomini into UDFA to quality starter.

He turned Paul McQuistan to Out of League to ZBS teachers pet and got a lot of starts out of
him.

He turn guys like Bowie and Bailey into viable players capable of starting despite both being 21 last year.

Jeanpierre is plenty solid and he went un-drafted and has been solid in his starting opps.

Ryan Seymour was good enough to get poached and remain on the 49ers active roster.

Jared Smith is still developing and who knows what he'll become this early in his project.

But because unfortunate situations happened to prospects in a underwhelming draft... Cable doesn't know what he's doing? He doesn't know what he wants from his linemen and what they need to compete in his system?

Just somebody, anybody give me names of offensive linemen from the 2011 class that would've been better served... do the research... you'll find nobody worthy... would the 1st and 3rd been enough to trade up and leap frog NE for Nate Solder?
No offense, but you reek of apologist. Marcus Glibert was taken much later, and he is still playing tackle. Also, why force a need pick? Seattle could have taken Muhammed Wilkerson, Jaball Sheard or TOrrey Smith at that spot and not tried to force fill a need. The pick of Moffitt later on is only more proof that trying to force fill needs is a bad damn idea.

Not every pick is a winner. Shit happens. You don't have to try and convince everyone that Cable, Pete, or John are right even when they are wrong.

Latest posts