Brandon Coleman

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I guess there's more than just being 6'6". FWIW, I thought he'd get drafted somewhere around the 4th. I'm surprised he went undrafted.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
What a difference a year makes. He wouldn't have escaped the 1st in 2013.

I like him with the Saints but don't expect to see him feature this year.

Could be another Colstonesque steal for them.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":3ignjuq3 said:
What a difference a year makes. He wouldn't have escaped the 1st in 2013.

I like him with the Saints but don't expect to see him feature this year.

Could be another Colstonesque steal for them.

New Orleans is probably the best spot for him. I don't think he would have been a first rounder in 2013, but 2nd/3rd was a real possibility. I hope he's healthy enough to play some pre-season.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":b2frlmwi said:
As with Antonio Richardson, knee situation had an impact.

No doubt about it, but enough to cause him to go undrafted? We've seen a lot of players drafted with knee injury concerns: Brandon Thomas, Jesse Williams, Easley, Lattimore. Keenan Allen might be the best comparison of a receiver who's knee injury caused a slide in the draft process, but whose talent deserved a chance to be drafted.

More than going undrafted, I'm surprised he decided to enter the draft with another year of eligibility, if he felt anywhere less than 100%.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I read a report that said the Pats rated him highly until they did more work on the issue. Both Coleman and Richardson are too good to go undrafted. It's a shame for both of them but every year there's 2-3 names like this. Almost makes you wish there was a way to analyse/advise them in college so they can make a better educated decision on whether to declare or not.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Guys, Brandon Coleman went undrafted because he is absolutely horrid, it's that simple. I've seen him play, quite a bit. He runs one route (Go's down the sideline), can't get any separation whatsoever, and has tennis racquets for hands. At best he's a poor (nay, destitute) man's Ramses Barden, and Ramses Barden was a poor man's nothing.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Sorry -- but there's no way Coleman and Richardson went undrafted without an injury problem.

Even if you don't rate either of those guys, they aren't UDFA level. Ramses Barden who you refer to had almost identical physical measurables but ran a slower forty time and went in round three.

Same with people like Jackson Jeffcoat. Health issues, how long a player might last. These things play a part. Some players are so good you take a shot (Easley, Kouandjio). The rest sink like a ton of bricks.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":59a8gwl7 said:
Ramses Barden who you refer to had almost identical physical measurables but ran a slower forty time and went in round three.
Yep, and he was absolutely awful and is now out of the league. The NFL has learned that drafting WR's whose sole redeeming quality is simply being tall, is a bad idea. Coleman could have bionic knees and it wouldn't change the fact that he is a horrendous football player. And THAT is why he was undrafted.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":dj0j9cvy said:
theENGLISHseahawk":dj0j9cvy said:
Ramses Barden who you refer to had almost identical physical measurables but ran a slower forty time and went in round three.
Yep, and he was absolutely awful and is now out of the league. The NFL has learned that drafting WR's whose sole redeeming quality is simply being tall, is a bad idea. Coleman could have bionic knees and it wouldn't change the fact that he is a horrendous football player. And THAT is why he was undrafted.

Nope.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":1qpy1iml said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1qpy1iml said:

Right, so the entire league doesn't want a 6-6 receiver who was the speed to run away from DB's for 80 yard touchdowns. They don't even want to entertain the idea of drafting that guy in the 6th and developing him. Because Ramses Barden sucked as a third rounder.

Come on man. This is silly.

His knee situation led to the fall. Confirmed here: http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index ... _knee.html

HawkWow

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2uw79mz1 said:
Guys, Brandon Coleman went undrafted because he is absolutely horrid, it's that simple. I've seen him play, quite a bit. He runs one route (Go's down the sideline), can't get any separation whatsoever, and has tennis racquets for hands. At best he's a poor (nay, destitute) man's Ramses Barden, and Ramses Barden was a poor man's nothing.

Well done. Plus he's a guy that plays shorter than his size...so, so much for size. I still can't get my head around the love for this guy. I actually raised my grade on him to a 5th because so many were enamored with him I felt I must be missing something. To me, he's to WRs as Terrelle Pryor is to QBs: Tall and lacking basic fundamentals required for the position.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Coleman was just the latest prospect to be woefully overrated by .NET

I will say though, he probably landed in a great spot.. if he doesn't stick in New Orleans, he won't stick anywhere.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3duwsda7 said:
Woefully overrated.

If he stays healthy and in that offense, we'll see.

You compared him to Calvin Johnson, who at the end of his career could very well be the best WR of all-time.. I mean.. if that's not overrated.....

He's a big target and maybe turns into a Colston type for the Saints, but yes.. on this board he was crazy overhyped. Many wanted to take him at 32. I know he had the knee injury, but Marqise Lee's knee deemed him undraftable by half the league and he still went at the top of round 2.

To me he's more Ramses Barden or Tyrone Calico than a successful NFL WR, but again New Orleans turns unknown guys into gems all the time with that pass happy offense, so who knows?

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
If anyone is interested, there was already a Brandon Coleman thread in NFL nation. Much of the same things were said there. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=92908 I've seen him play. I think he's had revolving QB's and dealt with some injuries. .Net isn't the only place that had some speaking highly of Coleman. Like him or not, he's got his shot and with a good team.

Kearly is respected here at .net and he had Coleman rated above both receivers the Seahawks selected. viewtopic.php?f=18&t=91776

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I've been watching a few games of Missouri games to get a feel for Justin Britt and seeing a lot of Dorial Green-Beckham making plays in a variety of ways. When compared to Coleman it really does show the difference between a 6'6" receiver who deserves the first round hype (not taking character concerns into consideration) and a 6'6" player overhyped on potential. Seriously, Coleman never has and never will play the game like DGB. I don't mean to knock Coleman, but the gap between those two is so far apart it's a bit comical now to think he was ever considered a first round talent.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3pbemmhz said:
I've been watching a few games of Missouri games to get a feel for Justin Britt and seeing a lot of Dorial Green-Beckham making plays in a variety of ways. When compared to Coleman it really does show the difference between a 6'6" receiver who deserves the first round hype (not taking character concerns into consideration) and a 6'6" player overhyped on potential. Seriously, Coleman never has and never will play the game like DGB. I don't mean to knock Coleman, but the gap between those two is so far apart it's a bit comical now to think he was ever considered a first round talent.

Right now I'd have to agree. I think Coleman can have success but his ceiling isn't Megatron; his measurables aren't even close. Before his injury I could conceivably see him being a 1st round prospect, so to say it's comical that he was 'ever' considered a first rounder is a stretch.

As for DGB, now that's sad. Sucks to see these kind of prospects throwing away their opportunities. If he got his head screwed on then he really could be great. Last I heard is that Eastern Illinois had enquired about him but Missouri haven't actually released him yet. A change would probably do him good, and let's not forget our first draft pick got kicked off his team. Hope he can get back on track.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
It feels like the motives of some of this post draft sniping are less than kind. A few seem to want to rub some faces in a failure. AMIRITE? A lot of chest thumping in here. Chest thumpers beware, it's a long fall when you are wrong.

I thought Jesse Williams was a first round prospect, what ever the hell that means. I didn't know he had a chronic knee. I thought Matt Barkley would go in the first ten picks. I thought Darrius Heyward Bey was a 5th round prospect, and the Jenkins kid the Niners took in the first as well. So how can I throw stones at the guys who thought Coleman would go high in the draft? I don't know shit either.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1nnyz38m said:
You compared him to Calvin Johnson

In 2012, after his first full season in college football, based on his size/speed potential, pre-reconstructed knee.

Don't try too hard.