Direct Comparisons: Seahawks vs. 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kigenzun

Reaction score
2014 Draft NFC West Approximations & Direct Comparisons: Seahawks vs. 49ers

Check it out! As usual the national media is giving the Forty Whiners A+’s, and us C-‘s.

But… considering many of the ignoramus’ (ignorami?) still think we picked Antonio ‘Tiny’ Richardson…

You make the call… apples to apples it looks to me that its leaning our way.
Throw in their 3 oranges, and it may or may not even up the gap a little.

However,
Add in our own ‘original 7th round selection’ vs. say, Blaine Gabbert… and take a few moments to honestly weigh the apples to apples comparisons…

IMO, with a 2nd look, the gap actually widens considerably in our favor, despite the threat of “Mr. Hyde”.

9 Apples 9Apples
--- Straight Up Head to Head Direct Comparison---
*Kevin Pierre-Louis ------------------------------------Chris Borland
*Cassius Marsh------------------------------------------Aaron Lynch
*Paul Richardson----------------------------------------Bruce Ellington
*Eric Pinkins---------------------------------------------Dontae Johnson
Justin Britt-----------------------------------------------*Marcus Martin
Jimmy Staten--------------------Even-------------------Kaleb Ramsey (IR)
*Garrett Scott---------------------------------------------Brandon Thomas (IR)
*Kiero Small----------------------------------------------Trey Millard

--- “Playmaker/Difference Maker” Indirect Comparison---
Kevin Norwood-----------------Even--------------------Jimmie Ward

+3 Oranges
------------------------------------------------------------***Carlos Hyde
-------------------------------------------------------------Keith Reaser
-------------------------------------------------------------Kenneth Acker
Wildcard
*Terrelle Pryor--------------------------------------------Blaine Gabbert

Considering we started off with 6 picks + a wildcard, and they started with 12. (and a Gabbert...lol)

John Schneider-------------------VS---------------------Trent Baalke

I say it’s a W. :th2thumbs:

Marvin49

Reaction score
kigenzun":pnqufvil said:

Check it out! As usual the national media is giving the Forty Whiners A+’s, and us C-‘s.

But… considering many of the ignoramus’ (ignorami?) still think we picked Antonio ‘Tiny’ Richardson…

However,
Add in our own ‘original 7th round selection’ vs. say, Blaine Gabbert… and take a few moments to honestly weigh the apples to apples comparisons…

IMO, with a 2nd look, the gap actually widens considerably in our favor, despite the threat of “Mr. Hyde”.

9 Apples 9Apples

+3 Oranges
Wildcard

Considering we started off with 6 picks + a wildcard, and they started with 12. (and a Gabbert...lol)

LOL.

SLIGHTLY homerish there, but no worries. Not even gonna argue really.

The reason the 49ers got such high marks is very simple...they took a number of players (Hyde, Martin, Borland, Ellington) far lower than the MEDIA had them projected. Seattle did not.

That has absolutely nothing to do with where TEAMS may have had these guys ranked or what the actual talent level is of these players.

BTW....if you are including Blaine Gabbert then you should also include Stevie Johnson. He was traded for a 2015 pick, but through 2 different trades they recovered that pick and Stevie essentially was obtained for a 7th round pick this year.

OP
OP
kigenzun

kigenzun

Reaction score
BTW....if you are including Blaine Gabbert then you should also include Stevie Johnson. He was traded for a 2015 pick, but through 2 different trades they recovered that pick and Stevie essentially was obtained for a 7th round pick this year.

Good point. I did forget about the Stevie Johnson trade for a conditional 4th next year, then the recoup, and it basically = a 7th this year.

Or maybe I was so afraid of the trade that I unconsciously wanted to forget about Stevie... especially, if he somehow becomes the key missing piece to you guys puzzle... eh, Marvin? ;)

But yeah, I'll give an extra star for that ---------------------------------------*Stevie Johnson.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kigenzun":17j5fm11 said:

However,

9 Apples 9Apples

+3 Oranges
Wildcard

I changed my mind. We can only really go by third party rankings because what you say or what I say are irrelevant. What a third party says has no basis really on how the players will turn out, but its all we got to get something resembling an impartial judgement.

I'm using NFL Networks player rankings from each players Draft Profile

Kevin Pierre-Louis (5.18)------------------------------------Chris Borland (5.38)

Cassius Marsh (5.37)------------------------------------------Aaron Lynch (5.24)

This one isn't really apples to apples though as Lynch will likely be asked to bulk up to play 3-4 DE, not OLB.

Paul Richardson (5.29)----------------------------------------Bruce Ellington (5.38)

Also notable that Richardson was Seattle FIRST pick. Ellington was SFs SIXTH pick.

Eric Pinkins (4.95)---------------------------------------------Dontae Johnson (5.37)

Justin Britt (5.16)-----------------------------------------------Marcus Martin (5.65)

Jimmy Staten (4.8 )---------------------------------------------------Kaleb Ramsey (5.02) (IR)

Garrett Scott (4.9)---------------------------------------------Brandon Thomas (5.42) (IR)

Kiero Small (4.75)----------------------------------------------Trey Millard (5.11)

Kevin Norwood (5.36)----------------------------------------------Jimmie Ward (5.44)

Not even counting the extra picks of Hyde, Reaser, or Acker....or acquisition of Stevie Johnson.

So, as I said before, we have no idea how this picks actually turn out. Perhaps Seattle just sees what others don't and this could be the best draft of all time. Who the hell knows.

However, to put these picks side by side right now and at least try to go by a third party opinion and not that of a Seahawk OR a 49er fan.....it becomes disingenuous to say Seattle clearly did better.

Marvin49

Reaction score
kigenzun":2d5zpzxo said:

Good point. I did forget about the Stevie Johnson trade for a conditional 4th next year, then the recoup, and it basically = a 7th this year.

Or maybe I was so afraid of the trade that I unconsciously wanted to forget about Stevie... especially, if he somehow becomes the key missing piece to you guys puzzle... eh, Marvin? ;)

But yeah, I'll give an extra star for that ---------------------------------------*Stevie Johnson.

LOL. :)

No worries.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
i think the 49ers got way better players..

but Seahawks have shown they can get the best out of their players.

so, we'll see

JZ#1

Reaction score
I am a big fan of Kevin Norwood but you just said that he equals SF's 1st round pick. Seems like your analysis is pretty biased. I wouldn't be surprised if Norwood becomes a solid pro but when you are making those claims, you need to really ask yourself if you are doing it with blue and green shades.

Marvin49

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3hcotdzr said:
I think most importantly, we didn't get Gabbert. Sure fire win right there.

....The 49ers got Gabbert for a 6th round pick and Stevie Johnson for a 4th next year and recouped BOTH picks and STILL made 12 picks.

Yeah. Real loser of a move there.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":3kacim0m said:
i think the 49ers got way better players..

but Seahawks have shown they can get the best out of their players.

so, we'll see

JZ#1":3kacim0m said:
I am a big fan of Kevin Norwood but you just said that he equals SF's 1st round pick. Seems like your analysis is pretty biased. I wouldn't be surprised if Norwood becomes a solid pro but when you are making those claims, you need to really ask yourself if you are doing it with blue and green shades.

Aren't you two Niner fans? I thought for sure you were.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Marvin49":2lw2eya5 said:
I changed my mind. We can only really go by third party rankings because what you say or what I say are irrelevant. What a third party says has no basis really on how the players will turn out, but its all we got to get something resembling an impartial judgement.

Kevin Pierre-Louis (5.18)------------------------------------Chris Borland (5.38)

Cassius Marsh (5.37)------------------------------------------Aaron Lynch (5.24)

This one isn't really apples to apples though as Lynch will likely be asked to bulk up to play 3-4 DE, not OLB.

Paul Richardson (5.29)----------------------------------------Bruce Ellington (5.38)

Also notable that Richardson was Seattle FIRST pick. Ellington was SFs SIXTH pick.

Eric Pinkins (4.95)---------------------------------------------Dontae Johnson (5.37)

Justin Britt (5.16)-----------------------------------------------Marcus Martin (5.65)

Jimmy Staten (4.8 )---------------------------------------------------Kaleb Ramsey (5.02) (IR)

Garrett Scott (4.9)---------------------------------------------Brandon Thomas (5.42) (IR)

Kiero Small (4.75)----------------------------------------------Trey Millard (5.11)

Kevin Norwood (5.36)----------------------------------------------Jimmie Ward (5.44)

Not even counting the extra picks of Hyde, Reaser, or Acker....or acquisition of Stevie Johnson.

So, as I said before, we have no idea how this picks actually turn out. Perhaps Seattle just sees what others don't and this could be the best draft of all time. Who the hell knows.

However, to put these picks side by side right now and at least try to go by a third party opinion and not that of a Seahawk OR a 49er fan.....it becomes disingenuous to say Seattle clearly did better.

Did you happen to look at East coaSt suPplemental Network's programming scores? I know they would probably be impartial about yours and ours pickses. Also would like to know who picked the ratings base on NFLnetwork. Not looking for homerism or lack there of, just curious. It would mean something as to content tho.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

OP
OP
kigenzun

kigenzun

Reaction score
*Disingenuous is a really big word.

I'll give another point just for that...

But NFL network's number rating system?
:1: Meh.

No extra points for that bunch 'o jazz.

JZ#1

Reaction score
I am not, but there is nothing I hate more than pure biased analysis.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Marvin49":18do7grf said:
EverydayImRusselin":18do7grf said:

....The 49ers got Gabbert for a 6th round pick and Stevie Johnson for a 4th next year and recouped BOTH picks and STILL made 12 picks.

Hawks got Pryor for a 7th. Much better bargain IMO. Only niner pick i dont like is Hyde. He's a beast.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":2bqown3a said:
Marvin49":2bqown3a said:
EverydayImRusselin":2bqown3a said:

Hawks got Pryor for a 7th. Much better bargain IMO. Only niner pick i dont like is Hyde. He's a beast.
you didnt like the Marcus Martin pick? what was wrong with it?

Marvin49

Reaction score
kigenzun":102efdwl said:
*Disingenuous is a really big word.

I'll give another point just for that...

But NFL network's number rating system?
:1: Meh.

No extra points for that bunch 'o jazz.

Well...they are all kinda like that. I wasn't sure just who's rating system to use so chose a big one. Many had Borlad ranked much higher than NFL Network did. Wasn't trying to pick and choose.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":12tj3qg1 said:
Marvin49":12tj3qg1 said:

Did you happen to look at East coaSt suPplemental Network's programming scores? I know they would probably be impartial about yours and ours pickses. Also would like to know who picked the ratings base on NFLnetwork. Not looking for homerism or lack there of, just curious. It would mean something as to content tho.

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

To be honest I don't even know who that is. LOL. I just tried to pick something well known. For the sake of argument I just tied doing the same thing using CBS Sports rankings.

Chris Borland was their 2nd ranked ILB (and Shane Skov was 3rd) and projected in the 3rd round.
Kevin Pierre-Lois was ranked as their 18th best OLB and projected in the 5th-6th round

Aaron Lynch was ranked 17th best DE and projected 5th-6th round
Cassius Marsh was ranked 19th best DE and projected 6th-7th round

Bruce Ellington ranked 13th best WR and projected 2nd-3rd round
Paul Richardson was ranked 15 best WR and projected 3rd round

Dontae Johnson ranked 25th best CB and projected 5th-6th round.
Eric Pinkins ranked as the 23rd best FS and wasn't projected to be drafted at all.

Marcus Martin was ranked as the #1 ranked Center and projected 2nd round.
Justin Britt was ranked as the 13th ranked tackle and projected 5th round pick.

Kaleb Ramsey was ranked the 58 rated tackle and not projected to be drafted
I couldn't find Jimmy Staten at all

Brandon Thomas was ranked the 10th best guard (tho his injury worked into that ranking) and a 5th rounder
Garrett Scot was the 20th ranked Tackle and rated a 7th rounder

Trey Millard was ranked the 2nd ranked FB and 5th-6th round pick
Kiero Small was the 10th ranked FB and not projected to be drafted.

Jimmie Ward was the 1st ranked SS and projected in rounds 1 or 2.
Kevin Norwood was ranked the 16th ranked WR and a 3rd rounder.

I'll look at other draft sites too if someone can find something that says any different.

Again tho..this has nothing to do with what these players become...just grades given by rankings of people who do this for a living in the media. Also has no bearing on what actually team ranks were.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Marvin49":1guqanhy said:

Hi homer

Scottemojo

Reaction score
First of all, trying to compare 2014 drafts is just as dumb as grading them. Now, if anyone wants to compare 2011 drafts, have a go at that.

Compare drafting styles? I can do that.
Baalke likes to go into drafts with several extra picks. They are his currency. Baalke likes name brand players a bit more than Schneider, not that he won't go for smaller school guys, but he likes heard of names a bit more. Baalke likes to gamble on recently injured players, IMO because if they don't get to practice or play that first year he gets a bonus year tacked onto their deal, all while they watch and learn. Niner fans know to look at arm length for prospects, Ballke loves long arms. Not that Schneider doesn't, no corners with less than 32, but Schneider is more about SPARQ.

Schneider is not afraid to go into a draft low on picks, he can turn 6 into 9 after the draft starts. Schneider is very unlikely to move up and get somebody. Schneider doesn't believe in throw away picks, I think he really values 7th rounders as much as any other pick. Sweezy and Bowie may very well be starting game 1 this year on the right side. both 7th round picks. Malcom Smith, 7th round pick. Do I think Schneider has done more with less than Baalke? Absolutely. So what? Both have stacked their rosters with good players.

drdiags

Reaction score
So another year of peter measuring with the 9ers. All the Seahawks can do is take care of their own backyard. The OP seems more like wishful thinking but I know any chance to rub it in on the division rivals is time well spent, so have at it.

The truth will not be known until it is close to the end of this year's class rookie contracts.

Status
Not open for further replies.