Teddy Bridgewater says he didn't want to play in Cleveland

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
LINK: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10926 ... and-browns

"I actually told my agent that's not the place where I wanted to be"

Eh?

The guy who had possibly the worst pro-day in NFL history was telling his agent where he did or didn't want to play? And he's willing to make this remark days after being drafted by another team?

There's just something about Bridgewater that seems really awkward. Like he doesn't realise what he's saying. Could you imagine Luck, RGIII or Wilson making that kind of remark the week of the draft? His college performance was way overrated by the cringeworthy "Draft Twitter" too.

I wouldn't want to be Rick Spielman right now, banking my job on him working out. Even with that supporting cast.

kearly

Reaction score
QBs are a bit like coaches and GMs, they require stability. Cleveland just fired their coach after his first season, a season in which the Browns were actually a 3-2 team at one point. They've fired multiple front office guys recently. Their current head coach was basically "plan Z" on their coaching hire list. Their current GM was an in-house hire after firing just about everyone else, he's not quite an interim GM but not far from it either.

Any unproven QB could quickly be on the outs if a new regime comes in with different preferences at QB. That's why stability is very important to young QBs, and Cleveland has been the least stable franchise of any in recent memory.

In a lot of ways, Manziel was the perfect guy for Cleveland. He's a pass/fail QB, and I think we'll know within his very first year which one of those he'll be.

Bridgewater's pro-day was epically bad, but Peyton Manning was not exactly his best in the Super Bowl, and we wouldn't judge him by one performance.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I have no problem with him wanting a stable environment. But he needs to keep his mouth shut.

I feel sorry for Manziel. Haslem was spouting off that Manziel needs to have the attitude that he is the backup, I guess the money gestures on the podium probably got under his skin a bit (I wonder if his Flying J salesmen have that gesture down pat?) and he reacted. Haslem is starting to give off that interfering owner vibe, which is always bad. Always. Trying to change your quarterback's personality through the media after 2 days? Add to that the fact that Manziel lost his best target before one practice snap, and it has the feel of disaster.

The current admin in Cleveland has to operate under the shadow of having been Haslem's 4th or 5th choice. They also operate under the shadow of Norv Turner having gotten good production with yards and touchdowns last year from 3 QBs, but Norv is gone.

Manziel is going to be punching a clock in the factory of sadness.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
I can't really blame Bridgewater from saying that. The Browns franchise is a dumpster fire right now and no one wants to go to that. Especially to come in with the level of excitement and pressure that Manziel is coming in with. Manziel landed in the worst situation imaginable in my mind. I thought it was okay when he had Josh Gordon, but now he loses him and got no WR coming out of the draft? I feel bad for Manziel.

I think Bridgewater answered the question honestly but I believe the phrase "too soon" kind of applies.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Yxes1122":1jjlwgg6 said:
I can't really blame Bridgewater from saying that. The Browns franchise is a dumpster fire right now and no one wants to go to that. .

I know this was said tongue in cheek, but the notion nobody wants to play in Cleveland is ridiculous. I want to play in Cleveland and a million others do too. My point being that it is blasphemy, IMO, for any 1st year player to think he is in some way above playing professional football for any team. Just be grateful, don't act the punk.

I didn't like it when the great John Elway started this crap back in 83 and Bridgewater couldn't carry Elway's jock strap. Combine his piss-poor combine with commentary like this and the kid is well on his way to becoming a joke, IMO.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":xq3nrh4r said:
LINK: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10926 ... and-browns

"I actually told my agent that's not the place where I wanted to be"

Eh?

The guy who had possibly the worst pro-day in NFL history was telling his agent where he did or didn't want to play? And he's willing to make this remark days after being drafted by another team?

There's just something about Bridgewater that seems really awkward. Like he doesn't realise what he's saying. Could you imagine Luck, RGIII or Wilson making that kind of remark the week of the draft? His college performance was way overrated by the cringeworthy "Draft Twitter" too.

I wouldn't want to be Rick Spielman right now, banking my job on him working out. Even with that supporting cast.

Who would want to go to Cleveland? I'm sure if Manziel had his way, he wouldn't have had Cleveland very high on his list either.

Bridgewater can play and I think he went to the perfect team.. the Vikings aren't as far off as people think.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
HawkWow":zjmp8t6l said:
My point being that it is blasphemy, IMO, for any 1st year player to think he is in some way above playing professional football for any team. Just be grateful, don't act the punk.

The problem is he has talent that you don't. I think it is great he called out a franchise. Yea some guys just want a spot anywhere others want a spot where they will thrive. good for the guy to know the difference.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Sounds like Eli Manning and other qbs of the past that did their best to go to the team of their choosing.

This stuff probably happens more often then we know.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I have no problem with him saying it and am guessing he never would have,had the report he was their pick and changed their mind come out.

Also his pro day has nothing to do with what he should or shouldnt say.

Also including RG3 in a comparison is laughable. As a rookie he called his own press confrences to give his own injury reports before/after his coach. Even DC media kills for his arrogance. So yes, I could easily see RG3 if asked a question about beimg on a teams card and them changing it at the last second saying something. He wouldnt have to be asked in an interview. He would probably call his own press conference and tell the media on his own.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
The Vikings got a steal with Bridgewater at #32. He's a great fit for that offense. Yeah, he'll need to work on his media relations, but he's only 21 years old. He's not as polished as Wilson, but then again, who is?

Regarding his pro-day, the fact he was drafted in the first round after "the worst pro-day in NFL history" tells me either a) Pro-days don't mean shit, or b) he's college play wasn't as overrated as you think.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":ycofd15s said:
a) Pro-days don't mean shit, or b) he's college play wasn't as overrated as you think.

He was Mayocks #1 QB tjrough the begining of the draft process and remained at that position up until the media jumping ship. I want to say well after his pro day, but I dont know exactly when. So fwiw Mayock thought his college play was pretty solid.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3bjivgfo said:
The Vikings got a steal with Bridgewater at #32. He's a great fit for that offense. Yeah, he'll need to work on his media relations, but he's only 21 years old. He's not as polished as Wilson, but then again, who is?

Regarding his pro-day, the fact he was drafted in the first round after "the worst pro-day in NFL history" tells me either a) Pro-days don't mean shit, or b) he's college play wasn't as overrated as you think.
There is a lot to like about Teddy the QB, and there is a few things that make you wonder. Which is why I can't call him a steal.

I liked a lot about his college play. There isn't a ton of play action from under center to watch on Teddy, and there are a ton of WR screens that won't work with NFL rules, but he does some stuff that you can't teach too.

I didn't care how bad he was at his pro day. He puts it on the green side of single covered receivers, he shows some talent for pre snap reads, he keeps his eyes down the field when he is moving. There is a lot to like.

Which doesn't change the fact that he is a bit slim, doesn't always set his feet for deep throws, and will likely have some coldweather games that matter in Minnesota, GB, and Chicago for at least the next two years. In addition, I think Teddy likes the spotlight and wants the stats, which is not a thing I love in my QB. Like you said, he is only 21. But that statement in and of itself is a caution, QBs who come out early don't have a great NFL track record.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":j33wkmv3 said:
he's college play wasn't as overrated as you think.

How many potential #1 picks drop to #32 and aren't, in hindsight, considered overrated?

If he'd gone at #33 (where I thought he'd go) instead of #32, what difference does it make?

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3g55l99u said:
Recon_Hawk":3g55l99u said:

How many potential #1 picks drop to #32 and aren't, in hindsight, considered overrated?

If he'd gone at #33 (where I thought he'd go) instead of #32, what difference does it make?

I thought I remembered you wrote you wouldn't have drafted TB even if he fell to the Jags at #39?

Anyway, yeah he was overrated, especially if anyone was saying he should have gone #1, but not overrated by a lot. I don't think a majority of draft twitter guys had him as a #1 pick, though. Most thought he was the #1 QB in the draft (which remains to be seen) and if there was a team drafting a QB in the top 10, they would do better to draft TB than Bortles/Manziel, but most of the #1 talk went out the window soon as Bill O'Brien was hired.

I guess I don't see a QB falling to the late-first as being way overrated. It happens, especially after the top half of the draft where there's no QB needy teams to stop him from falling. Now, Matt Barkley, for example, there's was a guy who deserved being call overrated. He was passed on over and over again after getting early first-rd hype by many (I was one of those guys, btw).

zifnab32

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":yz7ofy4o said:
Recon_Hawk":yz7ofy4o said:

He'd be an overdraft if he went at #1. At #32 he's great value.

Subzero717

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1jvbci7o said:
Recon_Hawk":1jvbci7o said:

Lollol. This coming from a guy that had Barkley #1 to the Chiefs. Whatever man. If this board called you out the way they did Kiper you'd stick to soccer.