Teams that drafted 2 WRs this year

QuahHawk

Reaction score
The 2014 Draft was considered by many as one of the best WR drafts in a while. Not because it had a large elite group at the top but because the tier 2 and tier 3 WR groups were so deep. So if there is a year to pluck two WR's it would be this year. Let's take a look at the teams that were smart and spent early picks rd 1-5 on two WR's.

Jacksonville:
R2 #39 Marquis Lee
R2 #61 Allen Robinson

Philidelphia:
R2 #42 Jordan Matthews
R3 #86 Josh Huff

Seattle:
R2 #45 Paul Richardson
R4 #123 Kevin Norwood

NYJ:
R4 #104 Jalen Saunders
R4 #115 Shaq Evans

GB:
R2 #53 Davante Adams
R5 #176 Jared Abbrederis

Of those teams who's WR duo will be considered the best by the end of their rookie seasons, and in 3 years from now?

4 of the 5 teams on this list are connected, Schneider came from GB and brought many of their drafting techniques with him. Idziki and Bradley are both former Seahawks who have power in their position with the Jets and Jags. Philly is the only odd one out but with the loss of DJack and Maclin coming off an ACL tear it makes sense to load up on WR's. I'm most surprised Carolina and NE did not spend more.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think Jacksonville will see the most benefit as a duo, I think one of the others will show better numbers as he will have vets taken coverage off him and letting him prove himself.

AnchoviesofTerror

Reaction score
The jags are siting pretty with Lee and Arob to pair with shorts and maybe blackmon. i think at least one of them are going to turn out good and just need a qb to throw to them. if bortles turn out ok they might have a probowl season or two but i LOVE the WRs we picked up and im hoping we turn out with the best duo

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Philly and Green Bay. Coaching/schemes will get those four receivers the best chance to succeed.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'd wager that Davante Adams has the best statistical career of them all. I also think Jax with a decent QB could end up with a top ten WR corps by year two.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Don't forget Green Bay also drafted combine workout wonder, Jeff Janis from Saginaw Valley St in the 7th.

kearly

Reaction score
Unfortunately if we are talking about talent or success we are talking about two different things. I think Matthews and Huff are better football players than they are talented WRs, but Huff obviously knows the offense and is connected to Kelly, and with the loss of Desean Jackson there will be a lot of opportunity for those guys to have immediate production.

Adams, Abbrederis, and Janis could be interesting with Aaron Rodgers and that offense.

Jacksonville has the most talented duo, but unfortunately I think the Jags just drafted a slightly better version of Jake Locker with that 3rd overall pick to throw to those new targets. They really should have taken Watkins there, and traded up for Manziel later.

Shaq Evans is under-rated but any WR that goes to the Jets is boned.

I think Richardson will be to us what Stephen Williams was last year. He might finish with 500 yards but it will be on just 25 catches. He's a guy we will turn to when we are fishing for a big play, but I don't think we'll see him much otherwise.

Unless there are injuries, Norwood will probably be a healthy inactive all season.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Jacksonville also got an undrafted stud in Damien Copeland who can be their Doug Baldwin type WR in a year when Cecil Shorts likely moves on.

General Manager

Reaction score
kearly":tn4og25l said:
Unfortunately if we are talking about talent or success we are talking about two different things. I think Matthews and Huff are better football players than they are talented WRs, but Huff obviously knows the offense and is connected to Kelly, and with the loss of Desean Jackson there will be a lot of opportunity for those guys to have immediate production.

Adams, Abbrederis, and Janis could be interesting with Aaron Rodgers and that offense.

Jacksonville has the most talented duo, but unfortunately I think the Jags just drafted a slightly better version of Jake Locker with that 3rd overall pick to throw to those new targets. They really should have taken Watkins there, and traded up for Manziel later.

Shaq Evans is under-rated but any WR that goes to the Jets is boned.

I think Richardson will be to us what Stephen Williams was last year. He might finish with 500 yards but it will be on just 25 catches. He's a guy we will turn to when we are fishing for a big play, but I don't think we'll see him much otherwise.

Unless there are injuries, Norwood will probably be a healthy inactive all season.

Manziel over Blake Bortles really. Plus they scored Lee and Robinson, I like what they did this draft.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Half way mark

Jacksonville WR's = 55rec 616yds 2 TD's
R2 #39 Marquis Lee
R2 #61 Allen Robinson

Philidelphia WR's = 37rec 355yds 3 TD's
R2 #42 Jordan Matthews
R3 #86 Josh Huff

GB WR's = 24rec 264 yds 3td's
R2 #53 Davante Adams
R5 #176 Jared Abbrederis (no stats)

Seattle: 14 rec 108 yds 0 TD's
R2 #45 Paul Richardson
R4 #123 Kevin Norwood

NYJ WR's = 0 rec 0 yds 0 TD's
R4 #104 Jalen Saunders
R4 #115 Shaq Evans

Noticed a funny quote from Kearly about how any receiver on the Jets is doomed. Made me think of Percy.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3gdkn5x4 said:
Noticed a funny quote from Kearly about how any receiver on the Jets is doomed. Made me think of Percy.

Pretty much nailed that. They drafted three WRs, one's out for the season (Evans), one's on their practice squad (Enunwa) and one just got signed to ours (Saunders).

No wonder Jets fans are unenamoured with Idzik.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Can I add Mike Evans and Robert Herron to this discussion?

Edit: sorry just read round 1 - 5.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Wenhawk":20eu9scj said:
Jacksonville:
R2 #39 Marquis Lee
R2 #61 Allen Robinson

Philidelphia:
R2 #42 Jordan Matthews
R3 #86 Josh Huff

Seattle:
R2 #45 Paul Richardson
R4 #123 Kevin Norwood

NYJ:
R4 #104 Jalen Saunders
R4 #115 Shaq Evans

GB:
R2 #53 Davante Adams
R5 #176 Jared Abbrederis

From this list, Philly's Jordan Matthews (872 yards, 8 TDs), GB's Davonte Adams (557 yards, 4 TDs), and Jacksonville's Allen Robinson (548 yards, 2TDs) and Marqise Lee (422 yards, 1 TD) have had the best rookie seasons.

Jacksonville scored the most rookie WR contributors with Robinson, Lee, and undrafted Allen Hurns, who was the most productive of the bunch (677 yards, 6 TDs).

Meanwhile, the Jets fell flat on their faces. Jalen Saunders has been cut by three different teams already, including the Seahawks. And Shaq Evans has not played a snap due to a shoulder injury.

Seattle is still a wait-and-see with Richardson and Norwood. Richardson played a lot of snaps as the 3rd WR, but had just 271 yards and a TD. Then he re-tore his ACL in the last game, which will probably keep him sidelined through training camp and some of next season, when so much of his development could have occurred. Norwood flashed in last year's training camp and practices, but barely saw any playing time until now. He should be activated for the NFC Championship with Richardson out.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Pittsburgh belongs in this discussion (I know, Steelers, ugh…) but they took a couple of playmakers who made an impact.

Hendo66

Reaction score
Adams looks legit. I'm hoping P Rich can come back good as new but with acl #2 it looks like the Hawks missed between the two.

xgeoff

Reaction score
EASILY the best WR class ever. The list is incredible.

WR Hits:

JAX
Allen Robinson
Marquise Lee
Allen Hurns

NYG
Odell Beckham

TB
Mike Evans

CAR
Kelvin Benjamin

NO
Brandin Cooks

IND
Donte Moncrief

GB
Davante Adams

MIA
Jarvis Landry

SF
Bruce Ellington

ARI
John Brown

BUF
Sammie Watkins

PITT
Martavis Bryant

PHI
Jordan Matthews

WR Misses:

SEA
Paul Richardson -- He got better as the season went on, and has good hands. Ultimately, though, he runs very tentatively, and looks fragile (even before the ACL thing). I would be surprised if he's in the league in two years.
Kevin Norwood -- Have seen nothing that stands out about him. He looks ok, but nothing close to the other rookies in the draft. That being said, it's hard to call him a miss when no other WR taken after him made an impact either.

DEN
Cody Lattimer

NYJ
-- Total implosion here. None of their draft choices worked out for them. However, they salvaged this by getting Percy Harvin on the cheap

All of the other misses were with 5-7th round picks. Hard to pick on the teams too much for misses here. Seahawks really specialize in getting good talent in those rounds.

OP
OP
QuahHawk

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Amazing how many WR's there were, so many on this board hoping for guys like KB, Matthews, Allen, Moncrief, and Adams and we went with Richardson.

I think at the WR position we struggle to find players who just love playing the game and will be selfless. This team revolves around everyone playing for each other. WR is the most diva position in the league and that is why were ended up with UDFA WR's starting, because they will do whatever it takes for the team and they are just happy to be on the field, not demanding that the ball comes their way.