2014 UW Football Season Teaser

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":20c6zt3p said:
Are these 7 wins going to feel better than Sarks 7 wins?

They might make it to 8. They get an extra non conference game this year due to playing at Hawaii.

OP
OP
KitsapGuy

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
2. Chris Petersen, Washington

Career record: 92-12
NFL draft picks the last five years: 14
Some people will continue to rail against Petersen for the conference he played in, but it doesn't matter where you coach, an 88 percent winning percentage in FBS college football is good. He is one of the best at identifying mismatches to exploit on offense, and has a great reputation for finding talent and developing it. He'll face a step up in competition at Washington, but make no mistake -- he's a talented coach who runs a top-notch program.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap20000 ... rs_fischer

Sark didn't even make the list of top 14. :twisted:

Oh. And who was last at 14? :stirthepot:

14. Mike Riley, Oregon State
Career record: 88-73
NFL draft picks the last five years: 9
In addition to being one of the best coaches in college football, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer coach in the sport than Riley. He might not yell and scream like others on this list, but he's a sharp offensive football mind and knows how to get the best out of players who often aren't as talented as those they line up against. Plus, how many top-notch coaches ride their bike to work everyday?

fenderbender123

Reaction score
KitsapGuy":3g744ksy said:
2. Chris Petersen, Washington

Career record: 92-12
NFL draft picks the last five years: 14
Some people will continue to rail against Petersen for the conference he played in, but it doesn't matter where you coach, an 88 percent winning percentage in FBS college football is good. He is one of the best at identifying mismatches to exploit on offense, and has a great reputation for finding talent and developing it. He'll face a step up in competition at Washington, but make no mistake -- he's a talented coach who runs a top-notch program.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap20000 ... rs_fischer

Sark didn't even make the list of top 14. :twisted:

Oh. And who was last at 14? :stirthepot:

14. Mike Riley, Oregon State
Career record: 88-73
NFL draft picks the last five years: 9
In addition to being one of the best coaches in college football, you'd be hard pressed to find a nicer coach in the sport than Riley. He might not yell and scream like others on this list, but he's a sharp offensive football mind and knows how to get the best out of players who often aren't as talented as those they line up against. Plus, how many top-notch coaches ride their bike to work everyday?

I think Mike Riley deserves that recognition. It's not easy to recruit to Oregon State, but he's good at finding diamonds in the rough and getting a lot out of his recruits.

I see Chris Petersen as deserving of that ranking, too. Urban Meyer went undefeated and won a BCS bowl once at Utah while they were in the MWC. So far, Petersen has shown he can do that more than once coaching at Boise St which was also in an inferior conference. Of course, it's probably too early to tell, and a lot of this is wishful thinking. But that's the only rationale I can conjure.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I'm excited, I think the late start in recruiting and all the other stuff are going to sting. If they got 7-5 or 8-4 I'll be happy with the job, next season I'll be looking for more though.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm making games toss up if I think it's somewhat close to a 50/50 outcome.

Aug. 30 - Washington at Hawaii WIN / TOSS UP

Sept. 6 - Washington vs. Eastern Washington WIN

Sept. 13 - Washington vs. Illinois WIN

Sept. 20 - Washington vs. Georgia State WIN

Sept. 27 - Washington vs. Stanford LOSS / TOSS UP

Oct. 11 - Washington at California WIN

Oct. 18 - Washington at Oregon LOSS

Oct. 25 - Washington vs. Arizona State (Homecoming) WIN

Nov. 1 - Washington at Colorado WIN

Nov. 8 - Washington vs. UCLA WIN / TOSS UP

Nov. 15 - Washington at Arizona LOSS

Nov. 22 - Washington vs. Oregon State WIN

Nov. 29 - Washington at Washington State WIN / TOSS UP

I could see UW being favored in 10 of 13 games this year.

Previously I had said that UW would be lucky to get to 8 wins this year, but I'm going to have to revise that. This is the friendliest schedule they've had in over a decade.

Regarding ASU, I think UW wins the rematch and I feel somewhat confident in saying that. The previous game was a blowout thanks to momentum getting way out of hand, coupled with Keith Price putting his mental fragility on full display. To me it was almost as much of an outlier as Arizona blowing out the Ducks. ASU is a good team, but their season stats were worse than UW's, and having watched that game it just felt like one of those 1/25 type games where every break goes to one team and it snowballs. The ASU game will be in Seattle where the Huskies are much tougher against quality opponents.

I think Arizona is a better team than ASU and the Huskies beat down the Wildcats at UW last year. In fact, it seems the home team consistently wins in big fashion when it comes to UW and the Arizona schools.

But even with the chance at a 10 win season, I'm not really that excited. Racking up wins against teams like Colorado or Cal is nothing new for UW fans. Plus, I'm really skeptical about UW's offense. It's not much fun watching a team with crappy O. If Petersen finds his QB by the Stanford game, and the Huskies end up 6-0 and highly ranked going into the Oregon game, then I'd be excited. But until then, I'm just observing the team and hoping to see good signs.

davidonmi

Reaction score
agree with all the prognostications except for hawaii. i see that as a win no matter who the QB is.

The skepticism about the offense is well warranted.

9 wins needs to be the minimum expectation which would be a 5-4 conference record.
Despite the question marks I will continue to hold my hat on the huge upgrade we made at HC, Petersen has a proven track record as a fantastic coach and there is no reason to believe he won't translate to UW.

Meanwhile Sark was well Sark, mediocre.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
Disagree that Arizona is better than ASU. Arizona is going to be a bit wobbly this year. They are breaking in a new qb which could be pretty dicey. Rich Rod asks a lot from his quarterbacks with reads and responsibility. They lost their stud running back, and I don't think their defense is anything more than average, I don't like that 3-3-5 scheme anyway. Soft in the deep middle which is a spot a lot of qbs in this league attack frequently. ASU is more talented and has solid coaching. I think they are a year ahead of Arizona in their development.

UW could easily get 9 wins this year. Schedule is favourable and the defense is excellent. However, first year under new coaches can be unpredictable. Issues crop up where you didn't think they would. Players learning new system, new coaching style. Peterson is going to have to coach out the tendency for that whole team to get into those little funks. It really is a solid coaching upgrade, I am curious about them not running as smooth due to the transition.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
There are what should be six easy wins on that schedule: Hawaii, Eastern Washington, Georgia State, Cal, Colorado, and Illinois. 80% chance they win all six games, even with problems on offense. Illinois is the toughest game of the five, although they beat them last year on the road and Illinois too will be breaking in a new QB.

They need to find just one more win to have an above .500 record. Stanford's defense will be tough again, but they have almost as many problems on offense as we do. 70% chance we lose that game at home, along with losses to Ucla and Oregon. They won't be able to match those teams offensively. I also doubt they will be able to match ASU's high powered offense. Road game at Arizona is a toss up that will probably result in a fifth loss.

At that point, you're looking at 6-5 with Beavers and Cougs left on the schedule. This is where Petersen's mettle will be tested. Win both games and it is a successful year in my eyes. Lose both games and it is a major disappointment. Lose to the Beavers and beat the Cougs, and I'm still happy. Beat the Beavers and lose to the Cougs, back to disappointment.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I think more than anything I'm most excited about Peterson's reputation for developing talent. Sark was a flashy recruiter, but fairly or otherwise I never perceived that he got as much out of his players as their potential suggested. Peterson, on the other hand, routinely puts 3-star players into the NFL, and I'm really excited to see what he can do with Pac-12 recruits. He even did a nice job of salvaging the recruiting class after Sark left, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a full year to get going.

Given all of the turnover and breaking in a new QB, I'll be happy with 8 wins. I'll expect more the next year though.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I just disagree hawknation. I would never be happy with a 3-6 conference record regardless of who we beat. Sark did not leave the cupboard bare at all and I think most of us would agree that petersen is an upgrade at HC to sarkisian.

There are concerns at QB, RB, and TE however I really like what we have on the offensive line in terms of experience.

The secondary behind peters is also a cause for concern however the front has a chance to be nasty.

My expectation looking at the schedule is 9-4, but I could deal with 8-5, not 7-6 though

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Sarkisian left the cupboard bare at QB. To my eyes he did not do a good job developing his backups. RB is another major concern with so few reps for backups. They might need to rely on Shaq Thompson at running back like UCLA has done with Jack. It's going to take a miracle to get this offense humming, but I don't think there's a better coach in the country to handle this arduous task than Peterson. He has squeezed blood from a turnip before.

I'm excited about the additions of Budda Baker and Najiel Hale to the secondary. Those were two great pickups and both have the raw ability to grow into All-Conference players.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
davidonmi":2hehdsrl said:
I just disagree hawknation. I would never be happy with a 3-6 conference record regardless of who we beat. Sark did not leave the cupboard bare at all and I think most of us would agree that petersen is an upgrade at HC to sarkisian.

There are concerns at QB, RB, and TE however I really like what we have on the offensive line in terms of experience.

The secondary behind peters is also a cause for concern however the front has a chance to be nasty.

My expectation looking at the schedule is 9-4, but I could deal with 8-5, not 7-6 though

You expect 9-4 with major question marks at QB, RB, TE, and DB?

LOL

UW will pad their record with cupcakes, but they will not be a factor in the north or the conference races.

davidonmi

Reaction score
I don't see a huge ? at RB. I like Washington and the offensive line is big so that will play well in the run game, and they all have in the past blocked well for sankey.

I don't see 9-4 as unrealistic. Illinois, Hawaii, EWU, GSU, Cal Colorado, there's 6 wins alone yes?

ASU lost a lot of talent and we have them at home. I see that as probably a 50/50 game

a big part of OSU last year was Cooks, he's gone. At home that's a 50/50 game at worst.

and then the apple cup. We should go 2-1 in those games

Plus is it unrealistic to pull one upset on UCLA/Stanford/Oregon/Arizona?

So yes 8-5 is fine, 9-4 is realistic

hawknation2014

Reaction score
davidonmi":1i6rxi2l said:
I don't see a huge ? at RB. I like Washington and the offensive line is big so that will play well in the run game, and they all have in the past blocked well for sankey.

I don't see 9-4 as unrealistic. Illinois, Hawaii, EWU, GSU, Cal Colorado, there's 6 wins alone yes?

ASU lost a lot of talent and we have them at home. I see that as probably a 50/50 game

a big part of OSU last year was Cooks, he's gone. At home that's a 50/50 game at worst.

and then the apple cup. We should go 2-1 in those games

Plus is it unrealistic to pull one upset on UCLA/Stanford/Oregon/Arizona?

So yes 8-5 is fine, 9-4 is realistic

I agree that 9-4 is not unrealistic. I just don't expect that to happen at this point due my concerns about the dearth of experience at the skill positions. Washington doesn't have a single running back on its roster who has 50 carries in his career. That's what happens when you don't give the rock to the backups. Could Peterson work some magic? Absolutely, Dwayne Washington could surprise us by staying healthy and turning into a beast. Jesse Callier and Deontae Cooper could show that they are fully recovered from their knee problems. Shaq Thompson could into the dyanmic two-way threat. A true freshman could step up. I'm just not counting on it during this rebuilding year.

Latest posts