BYU

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Last week they destroyed Texas in Austin. This week they're beating up on Houston. If they run the table, or even go 11-1, should they get into one of the New Year's Six bowl games?

drrew

Reaction score
Not unless it turns out that Texas, Virginia, or Cal end up being top 15 or so teams.

If not, the schedule is just too weak.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
And early impressions say that Texas and Virginia are nowhere close to that level. Other shoe is going to drop for Cal as well once conference play starts.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
I sure hope not. I'm still pissed off about 1984 and getting robbed by an undefeated BYU team (that didn't play one top 25 opponent).

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
huskylawyer":3k4ynn91 said:
I sure hope not. I'm still pissed off about 1984 and getting robbed by an undefeated BYU team (that didn't play one top 25 opponent).
That wasn't BYUs fault. If you want to blame someone, blame the pollsters like I do.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Just curious but for Football why are BYU not in the Pac 12 but Colorado and Utah is? I know for basketball it was because they can't play Sunday games. They aren't the most glamorous team and non mormons probably aren't going to go out of their way to watch them but they look like a good team this year and Hill a good QB.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
From what I understand they don't meet the academic standards of the Pac 12 because they're not a research school.

El Caliente

Reaction score
SeatownJay":31q24xkt said:
From what I understand they don't meet the academic standards of the Pac 12 because they're not a research school.

Yeah, they weren't admitted for this reason, which sounds dumb considering they are a top 50 school according to US News and World report.

I never understood why one of the Power 5 conferences didn't come for them, yet you have team like Rutgers, Iowa St., Utah, Colorado, and West Virginia, none of which carry national appeal, like the Mormons do. It's very weird indeed why they aren't courted by the Power 5, but the that division of college football is a joke anyway.

BYU could go undefeated and not hit the top 11 (they need to be a top 10 team to qualify for one of the 6 New Years day games) because their schedule isn't strong enough. It's not like the Big 12 has world beaters, but BYU's schedule is just too week.

I think that Hill kid has a shot at the Heisman, and he might be a pretty decent qb, but I think even the Heisman is stacked against him because of the conference he plays in.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2eixbwep said:
Just curious but for Football why are BYU not in the Pac 12 but Colorado and Utah is? I know for basketball it was because they can't play Sunday games. They aren't the most glamorous team and non mormons probably aren't going to go out of their way to watch them but they look like a good team this year and Hill a good QB.

Conference affiliation has nothing to do with sports.