USC at Boston College

Kennedyin92

Reaction score
The early commentary sure sounds a lot like the old rap on the Seahawks. "This is the farthest east they've ever played."

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":3dsq8ye8 said:
GREAT game by BC.

Sark needs a QB.

He's got like 4 guys who were rated 5* and top 10 Qb in HS. Talent isn't the issue with sc.

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":1rw9ibuh said:
He's got like 4 guys who were rated 5* and top 10 Qb in HS.

They have two, Max Browne and the recently recruited (true freshman) Ricky Town. Browne has been a big disappointment, from what I've heard.

I saw the following on Bleacher Report and thought it was interesting. There were 10 five star QB recruits nationally over 5 years from 2008 to 2012.

Dayne Crist
EJ Manuel
Terrelle Pryor
Matt Barkley
Garrett Gilbert
Russell Shepard
Jeff Driskel
Braxton Miller
Gunner Kiel
Jameis Winston

Some good QBs in there, but being a 5 star is hardly a guarantee of success. I heard somewhere that three and four star QBs historically have a higher rate of NFL success too.

CPHawk":1rw9ibuh said:
Talent isn't the issue with sc.

Cody Kessler's final stats look amazing, but when USC needed to respond, he led the team to a sure 3 and out every time.

USC's defense was more to blame than Kessler, but I knew USC was going to lose in the 3rd quarter down just 20-17 because Kessler looked so inept on contested passing downs.

davidonmi

Reaction score
BC ran for over 450 yards. USC for 20.
Kessler had nothing to do with that.
sark was mediocre at wash, and I believe won't be great at USC either.

zifnab32

Reaction score
Sarkisian having his team unprepared and uninspired to play on the road, there's a shock :sarcasm_off:

CPHawk

Reaction score
zifnab32":1i0c5xng said:
Sarkisian having his team unprepared and uninspired to play on the road, there's a shock :sarcasm_off:

UO played Wyoming yesterday, and I have to say I was super impressed with how well coached Wyoming is. They obviously didn't have the athletes to stick with UO, but they have some great coaches. He won 3 strait titles at NDSU, I'm really surprised a bigger program didn't go after him. A guy like that would win big at sc, and wouldn't make excuses when he lost.

sc85sis

Reaction score
When nearly every possession consists of run, run pass, it's not surprising when the QB can't do much. The young o line didn't help matters. Yes, Cody could have been better at making quicker decisions at times, but this loss is not on him.

zifnab32

Reaction score
sc85sis":2wlkwfwz said:
When nearly every possession consists of run, run pass, it's not surprising when the QB can't do much. The young o line didn't help matters. Yes, Cody could have been better at making quicker decisions at times, but this loss is not on him.

Not counting scrambles, USC threw the ball 41 times and USC ran it 23 times

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It was a horrendous performance by USC and there's just something so completely underwhelming about Sark.

sc85sis

Reaction score
zifnab32":3g5ddmrg said:
sc85sis":3g5ddmrg said:

Not counting scrambles, USC threw the ball 41 times and USC ran it 23 times
How many of those throws came in the last four to five minutes of the game when Sark finally opened up the offense?

Edit: Many of the passes were also of the dreaded bubble screen variety. Cody ended up in a fair number of 3rd and medium/long situations. That combined with a very young o-line was a recipe for disaster.