UW Quarterbacks

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I think it's painfully obvious to everyone by now that the Huskies do not have a decent QB on the roster. Hopefully Petersen is already addressing that. I see that 4-star QB Jake Browning has committed to Washington. What can our recruiting gurus tell me about him? Will he instantly be the best QB on the team the moment he signs his letter of intent?

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
hawknation2014":250kxs89 said:
Yes, I think he will be the best QB on the roster. Sarkisian left the cupboard extremely bare. Browning reminds me a lot of Kellen Moore. Not a big guy, but excellent decision maker who throws a very catchable ball.

His production is insane: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jake-br ... -stats.htm
27 TDs in only 4 games so far this year? Damn.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
SeatownJay":35fh34kc said:
hawknation2014":35fh34kc said:
Yes, I think he will be the best QB on the roster. Sarkisian left the cupboard extremely bare. Browning reminds me a lot of Kellen Moore. Not a big guy, but excellent decision maker who throws a very catchable ball.

His production is insane: http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jake-br ... -stats.htm
27 TDs in only 4 games so far this year? Damn.

At least six TDs in each game, seven TDs in three of four games. He also has two rushing TDs. Even more impressive: only one INT to go along with 27 TDs.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
hawknation2014":1fwdbnfe said:

Miles, Lindquist, and Williams were all 4-star recruits. It's hard to imagine that Sark, a bunch of other coaches, and recruiting experts were wrong about 3 QBs, although it is possible we are witnessing 3 busts. I'm hoping to see some development.

kearly

Reaction score
UW hasn't had this much 1st round talent on the team since the 90s, I would hardly say Sark left the cupboard bare. But yes, two of our QBs suck, and the third we've barely seen. All of them were 4 star recruits, so it's not like Sark was the only one who whiffed.

Keith Price was a 2 star nobody. So was Russell Wilson. So was Kellen Moore. At one point, Marcus Mariota was a backup who got his chance after the then #1 QB failed.

Getting a good QB often just comes down to serendipity (or dumb luck, same thing). It's worth mentioning that most 5 star QBs turn into huge disappointments. Even at the college level, there's no such thing as a QB store where you can just buy one by throwing resources at it. Even major schools like Alabama have had trouble finding top shelf QBs more often than not.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
We lost Montana too.

But has he even played this year? And if so, how has he looked?

chris98251

Reaction score
College coaches are falling into the same trap as many NFL coaches were doing, look at the body but forget the brain and whether they can be coached. 4 stars have so much wind being blown up their skirts due to either a very good team around them or being athletic freaks that never had to hone their techniques against equal talent.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":1dzdea15 said:
UW hasn't had this much 1st round talent on the team since the 90s, I would hardly say Sark left the cupboard bare. But yes, two of our QBs suck, and the third we've barely seen. All of them were 4 star recruits, so it's not like Sark was the only one who whiffed.

Keith Price was a 2 star nobody. So was Russell Wilson. So was Kellen Moore. At one point, Marcus Mariota was a backup who got his chance after the then #1 QB failed.

Getting a good QB often just comes down to serendipity (or dumb luck, same thing). It's worth mentioning that most 5 star QBs turn into huge disappointments. Even at the college level, there's no such thing as a QB store where you can just buy one by throwing resources at it. Even major schools like Alabama have had trouble finding top shelf QBs more often than not.

Maybe this is a good time to mention that star ratings mean absolutely nothing. The coaches, like Sarkisian, who rely on them do so at their own peril.

Scouting elite QBs is not serendipity either. Some coaches have an actual acumen for it.

drrew

Reaction score
SeatownJay":25hsx32m said:
I think it's painfully obvious to everyone by now that the Huskies do not have a decent QB on the roster. Hopefully Petersen is already addressing that. I see that 4-star QB Jake Browning has committed to Washington. What can our recruiting gurus tell me about him? Will he instantly be the best QB on the team the moment he signs his letter of intent?

Lindquist had one horrible half the first time he ever played. Troy Williams hasn't had the opportunity to do anything but hand the ball off. K.J. Carta Samuels is a RS this season. I contend that not enough is known about any of those three to think Browning comes in and immediately is better.

Cyler Miles on the other hand has been seen enough to make it painfully aware that he just does not have a Pac12 (D1?) arm and doesn't see the field at all. I don't know how he was considered a top 10 QB coming out of high school, that arm strength should have been a huge red flag for anyone evaluating him.

kearly

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2mhj4hv8 said:
Scouting elite QBs is not serendipity either. Some coaches have an actual acumen for it.

There are some, but they usually have very friendly systems for QBs, often at the expense of other areas of the team (Mike Leach, for example). The only coach I can remember in recent times who was a QB factory and still had a great team around the QB was Pete Carroll at USC.

kearly

Reaction score
How amazing would UW be if Vernon Adams had ended up a Husky?

Vernon Adams is the real deal.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":byfu093e said:
hawknation2014":byfu093e said:

There are some, but they usually have very friendly systems for QBs, often at the expense of other areas of the team (Mike Leach, for example). The only coach I can remember in recent times who was a QB factory and still had a great team around the QB was Pete Carroll at USC.

Pete Carroll is very good at identifying QBs who throw a catchable ball.

Chip Kelly proved very adept at finding duel-threat QBs almost seamlessly-- Jeremiah Masoli to Darron Thomas to Mariota.

More recently, Kevin Sumlin has shown a real knack for developing QBs-- to go from Case Keenum to Johnny Manziel to now Kenny Hill is an extremely impressive run.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":1kfbeepy said:
hawknation2014":1kfbeepy said:
Pete Carroll is very good at identifying QBs who throw a catchable ball.

Chip Kelly proved very adept at finding duel-threat QBs almost seamlessly-- Jeremiah Masoli to Darron Thomas to Mariota.

More recently, Kevin Sumlin has shown a real knack for developing QBs-- to go from Case Keenum to Johnny Manziel to now Kenny Hill is an extremely impressive run.

I thought of Kelly too, but left him off because he's such an obvious system coach who runs schemes to make his QB and RB look good at the cost of other areas of the team.

Texas A&M has had a really nice run of QBs going back before Sumlin even, but unfortunately for them they just can't seem to get a defense there. In fairness to Sumlin, I think that's just a coincidence. He seems like a legit QB guru so far.

Is the cost to other areas of team time of possession?

kearly

Reaction score
If you just want a guy who can get you good QB play, there's probably 15-25 coaches out there who could do that with consistency, including a lot of coaches from the lower ranks. Chip Kelly came from New Hampshire.

The problem is, all of these coaches achieve QB success through gimmick schemes that often come at the cost of other areas of the team. Teams like Oregon, Texas A&M and Baylor have awesome QB play every year but can't play defense to save their lives because they make concessions on the defensive side of the ball to adapt to a hurry up offensive scheme (i.e. smaller defenders who wouldn't tire as easily, etc).

If that's all you want, then sure, those kind of coaches are freely available. In the Pac-12, there's a few guys like that, Rich Rod and Mike Leach.

Me? I'd rather have a complete coach who builds a complete team the way Pete Carroll does. I think Sark was that kind of coach, albeit not a great one. I think Petersen was that kind of coach for most of his time at BSU. I want a coach who will build an offense to set up his defense. To Petersen's credit, that's what he's done so far at UW despite suffering some flawed QB play.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Ya...but how many of Chip Kelly's (while he was coaching college) or Oregon's QBs are succeeding in the NFL? I can't think of one. He ran a gimmick offense at Oregon and that program still continues that tradition. None of them ever pan out to make an impact in the NFL.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
hawkfan68":bd0lmt0w said:
Ya...but how many of Chip Kelly's (while he was coaching college) or Oregon's QBs are succeeding in the NFL? I can't think of one. He ran a gimmick offense at Oregon and that program still continues that tradition. None of them ever pan out to make an impact in the NFL.

Gimmick wins > whatever the hell UW has been doing for the past 13 years.

Florida won 2 national championships using a "gimmick" system. Their starting QBs were Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. Neither did squat in the NFL.

Aaron Rodgers never won a conference title at Cal.

Drew Brees' career highlight was a blowout loss in the Rose Bowl to a gimmick UW QB.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":cfobv6r5 said:
hawkfan68":cfobv6r5 said:

Florida won 2 national championships using a "gimmick" system. Their starting QBs were Chris Leak and Tim Tebow. Neither did squat in the NFL.

Drew Brees' career highlight was a blowout loss in the Rose Bowl to a gimmick UW QB.

I agree and would like to see UW do whatever it takes to win, even if it means running a gimmick offense. However, Hawkfan's point still stands, in that it does not prepare QBs well for the NFL.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
fenderbender123":zqpnnsfv said:
Seahawks1983":zqpnnsfv said:
hawkfan68":zqpnnsfv said:

I agree and would like to see UW do whatever it takes to win, even if it means running a gimmick offense. However, Hawkfan's point still stands, in that it does not prepare QBs well for the NFL.

There are around 115 FBS starting QBs, and in any given year, maybe 3 or 4 of them go on to be highly regarded NFL prospects. They are incredibly rare, and would be a very difficult thing to build a program around on a consistant basis, especially given the types of offenses that dominate in high school these days.

The idea that "gimmick" offenses don't prepare them for the NFL is not without merit, but the idea that a "gimmick" offense can't win championships at the collegiate level is.