The next Marshawn Lynch? Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
My family lives in Boise, Idaho, so we go to pretty much all of the Boise State home games. The atmosphere is great, a lot of people here love our Broncos. Every game is almost sold out(About 1000-1500 seats are usually open), with about 32,000 at capicity if I remember correctly. Now. let me tell you this. Ajay is the next Marshawn Lynch, I can almost guarantee you that. He has so much aggressiveness in him, he's hard to tackle individually, etc. If you're not convinced yet, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJbd1yctaVo

What are your guys' thoughts? Seriously. Every time I see Ajayi run, I think of Lynch. He just has that running back mentality that the NFL requires, never give up, etc.

Since the poster of that video has the same comparison, at least I know now it's not a stretch to say that. Your thoughts? Anyone else who goes to Bronco games?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The next Marshawn Lynch plays at the University of Georgia and rocks the number 3.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Fellow Boise member here. Ajayi fumbles like crazy. Last year he got benched in favor of another guy who then left when Peterson bailed. I like him and he does run tough but I don't think he's anywhere near Lynchs style.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3ds37jml said:
The next Marshawn Lynch plays at the University of Georgia and rocks the number 3.

He runs to straight up and down, he looks like a good back but is no Lynch.

OP
OP
D

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
You could say that Lynch fumbles a lot as well. I guess saying he's the next Lynch is a little exaggerated, it's just that he reminds me of him every time I see him run

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Doubt we'll ever see another Lynch.

He's 10lbs lighter than Gurley and isn't a 'big back' when you compare to others. He just plays big. He's made differently. Nobody does what Lynch does.

Gurley is bigger and more of a breakaway runner, but ultimately a different player.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":179ji7f8 said:

He's 10lbs lighter than Gurley and isn't a 'big back' when you compare to others. He just plays big. He's made differently. Nobody does what Lynch does.

Gurley is bigger and more of a breakaway runner, but ultimately a different player.
All the time in broadcasts they talk about Lynch as a big back, and I laugh. He is something like 215, right? Not small, but definitely not some 230 pound dude.

I think you damn near have to be bowlegged to run like Lynch.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":24otg1s3 said:

I would add, that we really shouldn't be trying to find 'the next Lynch' either. That's like hamstringing a QB search for the next Manning or of late, the next Wilson.

There are a lot of ways to be a physical back. Lynch has a lot of unique gifts that make him what he is. The trick to reloading is to find other guys with unique gifts and put them in a similar position to showcase them. The likelihood of finding two successive players with the same style and gifted attributes is just far too rare.

I'd submit a suitable new face might be Ameer Abdullah if we're talking early round back. He's a slighter back, but his physical running style is worth noting. He's not of the Seahawk mold from a measurables standpoint. But he is incredibly unique. A physical runner who uses leverage and leg drive to effect the same physical style. Shorter, lighter and shiftier than Lynch. Excellent straight line speed. Excellent power. Accomplished pass blocker. Watching his tape you see Lynch's attitude jump out at you.

I'm not sure he fits Seattle's blueprint. On one hand, Seattle really does tend to toss the blueprint aside for unique players. But on the other hand, they are rigidly dogmatic in the types of guys they look for at RB and LB. A strong case could be made either way. In this draft class -- I see Abdullah as being probably the most physical runner out there.

chris98251

Reaction score
I would just pull up the stat yds after contact, look at whomever is there in the top ten from where ever they are and start seeing if they have the moxie. Schools record doesn't matter, could be a good back with bad line or a dumb coach.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Last weekend did not look good for the Broncos....A friend decided not to go hunting and watch the game. He came back way way early. Should have gone hunting.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Scottemojo":9xo7arme said:
theENGLISHseahawk":9xo7arme said:

All the time in broadcasts they talk about Lynch as a big back, and I laugh. He is something like 215, right? Not small, but definitely not some 230 pound dude.

I think you damn near have to be bowlegged to run like Lynch.

they do list his weight at about that.....not so sure though.