Left tackle prospects

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Oh resident draftniks, please give us some breakdowns on the left tackle prospects that will be available in the next draft. Seattle needs one of them.

chris98251

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2kexzkso said:
Oh resident draftniks, please give us some breakdowns on the left tackle prospects that will be available in the next draft. Seattle needs one of them.

Two, depth would be nice!

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Probably won't be in a position to get him, but Andrus Peat is a guy I think is going to be a very, very good NFL lineman. Anyone watch some of his snaps yet?

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":1fwwey8c said:
Probably won't be in a position to get him, but Andrus Peat is a guy I think is going to be a very, very good NFL lineman. Anyone watch some of his snaps yet?

Count me in. Now starting the 'Concede defeat for Andrus Peat' campaign.

I'll also start the 'Suck in bunches for (Devin) Funchess', 'Stupor for (Amari) Cooper' and 'Play denser for Spencer (Drango)'.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
There are several.

Keep an eye on NC State's Rob Crisp. Very underrated Senior. Aside from that there's the usual names... Ogbuehi, Erving, Scherff, Peat (who is too soft for my liking and has technical deficiencies -- what a surprise coming from Stanford) and La'el Collins.

The two Oklahoma tackles are good. Chaz Green is a later rounder development type with value. And you've got Corey Robinson at SCAR and a lot of people like Clemmings at Pitt.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":31a59lzz said:
There are several.

Keep an eye on NC State's Rob Crisp. Very underrated Senior. Aside from that there's the usual names... Ogbuehi, Erving, Scherff, Peat (who is too soft for my liking and has technical deficiencies -- what a surprise coming from Stanford) and La'el Collins.

The two Oklahoma tackles are good. Chaz Green is a later rounder development type with value. And you've got Corey Robinson at SCAR and a lot of people like Clemmings at Pitt.

In general I think you're assessments are pretty good. However, Rob Crisp is currently ranked as the number 26 ranked OT, and listed as an 7 RD / UDFA prospect by NFLDraftScout. He may be a guy that some teams would look at for depth, but if we're trying to upgrade the starting position from Okung I doubt that Crisp is a guy you can consider.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Still haven't seen a lot of LTs yet.

Not a bit fan of Tyrus Thompson at Oklahoma. I like Daryl Williams better. Thompson doesn't use his arms well to ward off rushers in pass pro. Doesn't seem to really produce much drive on his run blocking either. Seems to just kind of get in the way of opponents.

Robinson looks like a possibility in R2/R3. Not a huge fan based on 2013. Have yet to give him a 2014 look. I do see he did garner SEC OL player of the week honors once this year.

One not mentioned is Donovan Smith. He's a guy that may be in the day 2/3 mix. I recall him from last year's notes having really dominated Randy Gregory in their matchup last year. Long limbed, with good ability to keep rushers at length. Violent drive blocker able to consistently head snap opponents on impact. Seem to recall he wasn't light on his feet, but quick out of his stance.

This draft looks pretty good at the top. Not unlike the last two years. But that has also produced some mixed results. Greg Robinson/Eric Fisher being the most glaring potential busts. But there are plenty of others. Ultimately it's been a position heavily overdrafted and with significant risk attached. That's not even accounting for OT/LT prospects that end up moving inside (Bitonio/Long/Robinson/Martin).

Erving is a player I could see us being interested in and he's had a rough go this year. Probably has cost himself a full round in draft position if he doesn't turn it around this season.

It's a position that I'd be very very wary of dumping an R1 pick and assuming he'll be a long term day one answer. That's not exactly the expectation that fans of the 'fix it now with a round 1 stud OT pick' would want to hear. Honestly it looks like Justin Britt has been one of the best OTs thus far to come out of the 2014 draft. I don't see a player that has outperformed him at OT other than Jake Matthews who's been injured and maybe Ja'waun James.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Great posts by Attyla and English.

Probably the worst thing for the Seahawks is that offensive tackles, and even guards, are being drafted heavily in the first round now. Last offseason, we saw a lot of teams copying the Seahawks and drafting DBs in the first round. But, I think that will prove to be an anomaly. Over the last decade, teams have really started focusing on OTs in the first round and a lot of the quality ones go pretty quickly.

One thing is for sure - we have a lot of holes to fill on the OL, and at WR. And probably RB. Ugh.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":30g8wyek said:
theENGLISHseahawk":30g8wyek said:
There are several.

In general I think you're assessments are pretty good. However, Rob Crisp is currently ranked as the number 26 ranked OT, and listed as an 7 RD / UDFA prospect by NFLDraftScout. He may be a guy that some teams would look at for depth, but if we're trying to upgrade the starting position from Okung I doubt that Crisp is a guy you can consider.

NFL Draft Scout says a lot of things.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
We need those two O lineman from I think it was Penn St. that ended up blocking each other on a play. I think they would fit in nicely with our current guys.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":gd5qug6i said:
Seattle will probably be drafting in the mid teens this year so we may have a shot.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
SeatownJay":2rqo3ren said:
Maelstrom787":2rqo3ren said:
Seattle will probably be drafting in the mid teens this year so we may have a shot.

Except that PC/JS will do their typical trade down for more picks and select an unknown fat guy in the 6th round that Cable says fits his system.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":12dei1ez said:
SeatownJay":12dei1ez said:
Maelstrom787":12dei1ez said:

Except that PC/JS will do their typical trade down for more picks and select an unknown fat guy in the 6th round that Cable says fits his system.

That's probably not as likely as we already will have so many comp picks. Normally those trades have been acquire more day three picks. We will likely go into the draft with 7 to 8 of those in hand.

At this stage, Britt looks like one of the better OT prospects in this draft class. I'd consider his selection a win. I was also very bullish on Garrett Scott who just simply had a health condition that rendered the pick wasted. Sometimes those are the breaks.

It seems we tend to tar Cable with the brush of the 2011 class. That class just flat sucked and dire need required bodies. And even though we pan the Carpenter pick -- that selection has borne out to be one of the better picks amongst the group in that range.

It could well be that we take a LT prospect early this draft. There are players who can fit the bill. I would think that Brandon Scherff and Cameron Erving would be two of the most appealing prospects to Cable. Scherff is very similar to Britt in tenacity -- but with better talent. Erving is an athletic LT who started out on the DL. Both of those types seem to appeal to Cable and I'd certainly endorse either of them.

Peat could be good too. Although I don't see him possessing the qualities that we covet. In particular it doesn't seem like he'll be a fit for our cut blocking zone scheme. Clearly Seattle is moving towards an our kind of guys model and Peat's play doesn't strike me as compatible. But it's worth noting that our draft board really crystallizes based on interviews and personal background. Peat could shine in that regard.