The mighty sec scared of lil ol' oregon

pehawk

Reaction score
Booooooo

...that's really all I can add

DTexHawk

Reaction score
Read the article twice and never found the word; scared.

But if that makes you feel better. ;)

"Aggie athletic director Eric Hyman exercised a clause from the contract A&M and the Ducks agreed to back in 2009 that said they could get out deal if A&M changed conferences. The deal was made when the Aggies were in the Big 12 and they have since moved to the SEC.
A&M was stuck in a bind because it couldn't play the Oregon games as is with its neutral site Arkansas game. "

SeatownJay

Reaction score
DTexHawk":1zztojtc said:

"Aggie athletic director Eric Hyman exercised a clause from the contract A&M and the Ducks agreed to back in 2009 that said they could get out deal if A&M changed conferences. The deal was made when the Aggies were in the Big 12 and they have since moved to the SEC.
A&M was stuck in a bind because it couldn't play the Oregon games as is with its neutral site Arkansas game. "
In other words, Texas A&M didn't want to have less than 7 home games.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3gooqzyz said:
DTexHawk":3gooqzyz said:

They replaced Oregon with Clemson. Probably an even trade, prestige wise, and much more appealing for their fans.

Not sure they are scared of Oregon, just being practical about their scheduling. It sucks for Oregon, but it is what it is.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
If Oregon wants to replace Texas A&M with another Power 5 team, and I assume they will, allow me to suggest Texas Tech. The Red Raiders have open slots in both '18 and '19.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":d96n4rkx said:
SeatownJay":d96n4rkx said:
DTexHawk":d96n4rkx said:

They replaced Oregon with Clemson. Probably an even trade, prestige wise, and much more appealing for their fans.

Not sure they are scared of Oregon, just being practical about their scheduling. It sucks for Oregon, but it is what it is.
Agreed, it wasn't about the opponent at all, it was entirely about the number of home games they had scheduled.

Texas A&M AD Eric Hyman":d96n4rkx said:
Hyman also addressed the earlier cancellation with Oregon in a release from the school. “Our goal is to play seven home games at Kyle Field each season. Playing at Oregon in 2018, combined with the Arkansas game in Arlington, would leave us with only six home games that season. In even numbered years such as 2018, we only have three SEC home dates as long as we continue to play Arkansas in Arlington.”
http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/10/texa ... h-clemson/

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
SeatownJay":39ly3udp said:
Seahawks1983":39ly3udp said:
SeatownJay":39ly3udp said:
DTexHawk":39ly3udp said:

Agreed, it wasn't about the opponent at all, it was entirely about the number of home games they had scheduled.

Texas A&M AD Eric Hyman":39ly3udp said:
Hyman also addressed the earlier cancellation with Oregon in a release from the school. “Our goal is to play seven home games at Kyle Field each season. Playing at Oregon in 2018, combined with the Arkansas game in Arlington, would leave us with only six home games that season. In even numbered years such as 2018, we only have three SEC home dates as long as we continue to play Arkansas in Arlington.”
http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/10/texa ... h-clemson/

Pac 12 teams not named USC will always be at a disadvantage when it comes to getting SEC teams not named Tennessee out west. There just isn't enough reason for them to justify playing in the areas that aren't really fertile recruiting grounds. The only reason UW was able to get LSU to come out here was due to the Mark Emmert connection.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
I think the SEC may have to change how they do things with a committee deciding the final 4 each year. Their refusal to leave the region (outside of Tennessee as mentioned above) may well bite them in the ass. I sure hope it plays out that way anyway. I'm sick of this conference.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The SEC has mandated that every team must play a non-conference game against a Power 5 school each year. The drawback with that is some SEC schools already have a non-conference rivalry game built into their schedules (South Carolina - Clemson, Georgia - Georgia Tech, Florida - Florida State, and Kentucky - Louisville) so that means they likely won't schedule any other Power 5 non-conference opponents. The remaining SEC schools will rarely look outside the ACC or Big 12.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
SeatownJay":14niah92 said:
If Oregon wants to replace Texas A&M with another Power 5 team, and I assume they will, allow me to suggest Texas Tech. The Red Raiders have open slots in both '18 and '19.

Texas tech would be nice because I believe the whole point of scheduling Texas a&m was to get to play a game in Texas for recruiting purposes. I'm hoping for Baylor though, who also has open dates those two years. Baylor usually schedules bigger cupcakes than the sec does though, so I doubt that happens.

Somebody said Alabama has an open date those two years as well. That would be fun, but I doubt they'd come to Eugene.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2o8edsnz said:
SeatownJay":2o8edsnz said:

Texas tech would be nice because I believe the whole point of scheduling Texas a&m was to get to play a game in Texas for recruiting purposes. I'm hoping for Baylor though, who also has open dates those two years. Baylor usually schedules bigger cupcakes than the sec does though, so I doubt that happens.

Somebody said Alabama has an open date those two years as well. That would be fun, but I doubt they'd come to Eugene.
Baylor has an open date in '18, but not '19.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-12/baylor-bears.php

TCU might be a longshot option as they have open dates those years but they are already playing a home & home with Ohio State then.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-12/ ... -frogs.php

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":6owfan2r said:
..........Somebody said Alabama has an open date those two years as well. That would be fun, but I doubt they'd come to Eugene.
There's a better chance of me riding a horse in the Kentucky Derby next year at 6'6" and 255 lbs. than there is of Alabama coming to Eugene, EVER!

sc85sis

Reaction score
SEC teams like to play 8 home games and they do not like to leave the southeast if they can avoid doing so.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1n1ggcy9 said:
Texas A&M backs out of home and home series with the ducks. This is the second time an sec school backed out on us (Georgia). At least we still have some cool matchups coming up. Finish home and homes with Michigan st and Virginia next year, then a series with Nebraska, and an upcoming series with Ohio state.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... -19-102314

Not sure why the SEC would be scared. The only SEC teams Oregon has had any success against were the middle-tier Mississippi State and Tennessee teams.

But I guess that would go against the anti-SEC narrative you like to peddle, eh? :mrgreen:

I mean, I realize it probably gets frustrating to hear all the "SEC is the best!" stuff all the time, but the numbers tend to bear it out for the most part. It's not like the SEC is the Big 10.

HawkGA

Reaction score
I"m guessing with the new playoff system where quality of opponents matter, the SEC just doesn't want to dilute their schedule by playing patsy games against the PAC-12. :)

HawkGA

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":xo9tqbfv said:
Pac 12 teams not named USC will always be at a disadvantage when it comes to getting SEC teams not named Tennessee out west. There just isn't enough reason for them to justify playing in the areas that aren't really fertile recruiting grounds. The only reason UW was able to get LSU to come out here was due to the Mark Emmert connection.

To add to this, didn't Auburn play WSU last year? Georgia has played Boise State (not PAC-12 but probably better than most PAC-12 teams at the time) a handful of years ago.

As a fan of the SEC and a native of the Northwest, I would love to see more match ups between the conferences. But with the ACC, Big 12 and Big 10 so much closer, it makes little sense geographically to go all the way out West (though probably a decade or a bit more ago Alabama play UCLA).

SeatownJay

Reaction score
LSU had a home & home series with Washington a few years ago. Here are some of the future matchups with the Pac 12 & SEC.

Arizona & Mississippi State: home & home in '22 & '23
Arizona State & LSU: home & home in '22 & '23
Cal & Auburn: home & home in '19 & '20
UCLA & Texas A&M: home & home in '16 & '17
UCLA & LSU: @ UCLA in '21 & '24
USC & Tennessee: home & home (possible neutral site) in '21 & '22

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If Oregon holds serve the rest of the year, they may very well get their crack at 2 SEC teams in the playoff.