Coug fans...what gives?

pehawk

Reaction score
Any Cougs on here? I'm a casual follower of the Cougs, but do root for and watch them occasionally. I haven't watched them at all this year, but, what is up with them? How or why did they seemingly take a step backwards? I liked the general direction last season.

I understand Leach needs to get his guys in. But, they're down right embarrassing this year...and last year they we're respectable.

Any thoughts?

XOXO

Shambe Wright-Fair

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
pehawk":jm2cup4l said:
Any Cougs on here? I'm a casual follower of the Cougs, but do root for and watch them occasionally. I haven't watched them at all this year, but, what is up with them? How or why did they seemingly take a step backwards? I liked the general direction last season.

I understand Leach needs to get his guys in. But, they're down right embarrassing this year...and last year they we're respectable.

Any thoughts?

XOXO

Shambe Wright-Fair

Rueben Mayes

Really poor defense and Halliday still too prone to ints from what I've seen. His protection is also hit and miss. Because they throw so much, running game is hit and miss as well. Did I mention a really poor D?

All that said, watch 'em derail the Huskies' chance at a bowl game in the Apple Cup.

getnasty

Reaction score
They really should have at least 4 wins, they have played better then their record. Still cant figure out why they disappear at times though, last night was a great example.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The Apple Cup should be interesting, the Movable Object (Cougs defense) vs. the Resistable Force (Huskies offense).

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":279slqwm said:
pehawk":279slqwm said:

Any thoughts?

XOXO

Shambe Wright-Fair

Rueben Mayes

Really poor defense and Halliday still too prone to ints from what I've seen. His protection is also hit and miss. Because they throw so much, running game is hit and miss as well. Did I mention a really poor D?

All that said, watch 'em derail the Huskies' chance at a bowl game in the Apple Cup.

Halliday has been outstanding this year. He isn't the problem at all. The problems center on both of their lines, which are both very lousy by Pac 12 standards. Couple that with a couple of crucial gaffe's at the worst possible moments, and they are 2-6. They really probably should be 4-4 with wins over Rutgers and Cal, but WSU did WSU things instead. Not having Deone Buchannon and Andrew Furney has really hurt them this year, too.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
They are better than their record, lots of close losses. They could easily be 4-4 right now, maybe even 5-3. But, things happened.

It's easiest to build a respectable offense in college football, defense and special teams come later. I am really questioning if Breske is the right guy to coach the defense. Some games they show up utterly unprepared, his schemes are pretty generic and the unit is just awful this year. I recognize the secondary is playing a lot of young, talented kids, but the front seven should be better than this.

Last year they probably shouldn't have gone to a bowl game, I think it made people think this team is farther along than it is. There was not a lot of talent when Leach got here and the conference is better than its been in a long time. It makes a rebuild especially hard when you face elite offenses and good teams damn near every week.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
seahawk2k":khaj14x7 said:
They are better than their record, lots of close losses. They could easily be 4-4 right now, maybe even 5-3. But, things happened.

It's easiest to build a respectable offense in college football, defense and special teams come later. I am really questioning if Breske is the right guy to coach the defense. Some games they show up utterly unprepared, his schemes are pretty generic and the unit is just awful this year. I recognize the secondary is playing a lot of young, talented kids, but the front seven should be better than this.

Last year they probably shouldn't have gone to a bowl game, I think it made people think this team is farther along than it is. There was not a lot of talent when Leach got here and the conference is better than its been in a long time. It makes a rebuild especially hard when you face elite offenses and good teams damn near every week.

I think you are absolutely right about last year. WSU caught a couple of breaks (playing against Kiffin who had lost his team, catching Arizona in Tucson in a trap game come to mind) which led people to expect even more this year, when it probably wasn't realistic. Their defense was destined to take a step back this year given the youth and lack of depth.

Hell, going into Saturday they were actually ranked higher in the F/+ rankings with a 2-5 record than UW was with a 5-2 record. I'm guessing after the beatdown at the hands of Arizona that that probably is not going to be the case this week.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Agree that they should be 4-4 at this point.. special teams gaffes cost them dearly in each of those games. Also feel that they got jobbed with a non PI call against Oregon, but I don't know if you can say one way or the other that they go on to win that game.

Defense is their big issue.. the offense is electric.. but they are basically having to score 40+ just to have a shot to win.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
The Cougs front seven is terrible. They have just been worn down and have had lots of trouble closing out games. I want to see them to beat SC this week. Outside of their freshman corner Adoree Jackson, the rest of SC's secondary is really weak. And Wilcox's defense has generated zero pass rush for them. That's not looking like a good combination for USC if Sark wets the bed again. Or maybe it is? I have talked to some SC fans who are actually hoping Sark is one and done so they can bring back Ed Orgeron.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
JSeahawks":lweiutwr said:
Looks like Halliday may have broken his leg or ankle. Bummer for cougs.
Yeah just saw that on the Oregon-Stanford pregame too. Looked ugly as hell. They put the aircast on him so not a good sign.

sc85sis

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2o1lp5ao said:
The Cougs front seven is terrible. They have just been worn down and have had lots of trouble closing out games. I want to see them to beat SC this week. Outside of their freshman corner Adoree Jackson, the rest of SC's secondary is really weak. And Wilcox's defense has generated zero pass rush for them. That's not looking like a good combination for USC if Sark wets the bed again. Or maybe it is? I have talked to some SC fans who are actually hoping Sark is one and done so they can bring back Ed Orgeron.
That's not happening. Ed had the chance to be the highest paid assistant in the country and assistant head coach and turned it down. And Haden is not going to fire Sark after one year.

sc85sis

Reaction score
JSeahawks":6hbw7jhn said:
Looks like Halliday may have broken his leg or ankle. Bummer for cougs.
That looked bad. Hope he's going to be OK.

Also hope Cravens' knee is just a minor sprain. We need him.

minormillikin

Reaction score
"career ending" broken leg for Halliday. Sucks for a number of reasons, not least that his great statistical season was wsu's one bright spot this year.
Thanks for some exciting games, Connor.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Feel terrible for Halliday .. doubt he has much of a pro career in store unless he goes to the Arena league. Crappy way for him to end a very good collegiate career for the Cougs.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... celebrated

This article kind of implies he was going to be drafted. Really? I know he has the passing stats but I thought that was more due to the fact he was a product of the system and the Cougs have no real running game? Would he have?

I like Sean Mannion as a QB for Oregon St and Mariota, two in the Pac 12 that may/will get drafted. Not a huge fan of Hundley.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":16wh7i0k said:
http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id/79909/hallidays-career-should-be-celebrated

This article kind of implies he was going to be drafted. Really? I know he has the passing stats but I thought that was more due to the fact he was a product of the system and the Cougs have no real running game? Would he have?

I like Sean Mannion as a QB for Oregon St and Mariota, two in the Pac 12 that may/will get drafted. Not a huge fan of Hundley.

I've heard multiple different draft pundits project him anywhere from the 5th round to UDFA.

At the very least, he will get a camp try out somewhere.