Melvin Gordon III

SeatownJay

Reaction score
With the "news" that Lynch likely won't be back with Seattle next year, people are talking about the Seahawks taking a running back early in the draft.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/zjwhitman/status/526402917717143552[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/nfldraftscout/status/526400428721061891[/tweet]

randomation

Reaction score
has nothing on MG3

[youtube]ERsp9PKHKJc[/youtube]

He has gotten stronger and faster since then.

[youtube]mn2b_Fl4d2M[/youtube]

253 yards on 13 carries 5 tds, this is while playing behind the worst o line in at least 8 years if not more at Wisc by a significant margin.

There are exactly two running backs worthy of a first round pick Gurley and MG3.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
How about my boy from Nebraska, Ameer Abdullah. Him and Gordon are interchangeable for the best back in the Big 10, depending on who you talk to. Lacks Gordon's size and straight line speed, but may have the best cutting ability since Barry Sanders. Also has great balance and lower body strength, possibly running with more power than Gordon. Ameer is one of the highest character guys you'll find, and has improved significantly every year he's been at NU. First player in Nebraska history to have three 1000 yard seasons, and will make a serious push for 2000 this year and Mike Rozier's career record. Right now I'm seeing projections slotting him around #25.
[youtube]J29s00LYlj4[/youtube]
[youtube]81WM8AdWDUw[/youtube]

Also, don't forget his version of Beast Mode:
[youtube]5mKavhm6Kk8[/youtube]

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Gordon is a great player. Can definitely see a little John Schneider man crush there.

Could even be that they simply like more than one player in R1 and more than one player in R2, so feel good about the situation. Doubt they have only one player in mind.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I am as wary of drafting a RB from Wisconsin as I would be a QB from USC.

Would much prefer Todd Gurley if they went RB early.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":5e1bubns said:

He's a top 10, 15 at worst. No way we get anywhere near Gurley. We need a strong run game, and I don't see Turbin or Christine providing that. Abdullah looks great, but he's only 195, I would like him a lot more if he was around 210.

randomation

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1mc12fuq said:

The big difference between MG3 and other Wisconsin backs such as Ball is he doesn't have the typical Wisconsin line. He is consistently getting hit in the back field and getting out our line is a porous mess this year. Also Palmer was damn good before he got hurt just saying.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
How are the pass pro skills in Gordon vs Gurly.

I really like Gurly's running style. He is deceptively quick and fast.

randomation

Reaction score
Amer who? MG3 400 yards 4 tds start of the 4th against nebraska just set the fbc record on 25 carries.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2jjgfg6a said:
So will this performance get him the Heisman over Mariota?

Only if he allows the Nebraska defense to go up and collect the trophy.

Shocking performance by Nebraska.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":364kp6u8 said:
So will this performance get him the Heisman over Mariota?

It should. He has a chance to break Barry Sanders record as well. Only 700 yards away with 4 games to go (assuming they beat Iowa and Minnesota and get to the Big Ten Conf Title game)

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
If the Heisman voters watch the game it's hard to make this a difference maker. He was barely touched! Gordon Melvin would've run for 150 today.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3661ax4b said:
If the Heisman voters watch the game it's hard to make this a difference maker. He was barely touched! Gordon Melvin would've run for 150 today.
What round do you see Gordon Melvin going in? :D

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1uqmrvp3 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1uqmrvp3 said:
What round do you see Gordon Melvin going in? :D

He's a sure fire mid round steal. Good old Gordon.

But today was hilarious. MELVIN could've moonwalked through those enormous running lanes and still made 200.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1v545uyr said:

How do you hold that against him though? Its not just this one game either.. hes 700 yards away from Barry Sanders record and averaging nearly 200 a game.

He should be the front runner right now

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":15yqpv5g said:
theENGLISHseahawk":15yqpv5g said:

How do you hold that against him though? Its not just this one game either.. hes 700 yards away from Barry Sanders record and averaging nearly 200 a game.

He should be the front runner right now

I think competition has to come into it. Wisconsin's schedule includes the following:

Western Illinois
Bowling Green
USF
Northwestern
Illinois
Maryland
Rutgers
Purdue

They lost to LSU in week one and rolled over Nebraska today. They face Iowa and Minnesota to close.

It's a powder puff schedule against some shocking defenses (Illinois, Bowling Green). I'm not taking away from Gordon's talent or production -- I think he'll be a first rounder. But I don't think we can look at this schedule and say -- this guy deserves the Heisman.

For me it's Mariota's to lose.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Do you think MG3 will break the mold of previous Wisconsin backs being flops at the next level?