Compensation: A Golden Tate Inquiry

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
I've always thought Tate would fetch a 4th round Comp pick but those who understand the "formula" better, does having a monster 2014 performance possibly increase his comp value?

I remember someone saying that signing for $8.3+m apy = 3rd Round comp.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
Just posted this on the draft forum:

They don't release the actual formula but it's predominantly done on contract. However, the fact that post season honours are a factor makes Golden's situation interesting. We're slotted to get a 4th from his salary, but he's a lock for the Pro Bowl at this stage and might even take All Pro honours if he keeps up his play. You'd have to think that 4th could then turn into a 3rd, but the NFL probably keep their formula under wraps so they can screw teams like us out of such compensation.

Regardless, our 2015 draft is looking fantastic, and even if we end up with the 4th for Golden it should look something like this...

1st
2nd
3rd
4th x 4 (Our original fourth plus comp' fourths for Golden and BB, plus a conditional if Percy remains with Jets)
5th x 2 (Original pick plus comp for Giac)
6th (Traded for Burley but should acquire one for WTIII or Clinton Mcdonald)
7th

That's 11 picks, 7 of which could come in the first 4 rounds.

Of course, Percy's not remotely close to being a lock for a 4th, but even if it ends up being a sixth we're looking at a really good situation that gives us plenty of manoeuvrability.

It's annoying that the formula isn't open to the public and whilst analysts have tried to decode it, they're still not certain.

I wonder if the original team's success might have something to do with it, and that a successful season for us may be detrimental to our chances of getting anything more for Tate.

I can't think of any of any examples where players have garnered a higher comp pick than their contract suggested, but I'm sure someone can?

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Damn. I hope we get a whole clutch of OLinemen in that draft.

SeaChase

Reaction score
There going to be 9 o-line picked,1 RB, and 1 WR...

King Dog

Reaction score
Whatever the formula is, we should get the highest pick available for Tate. He's blowing up in Detroit. Oh, and I don't understand comp picks :D

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
SeaChase":2ewrpfxu said:

My guess is that (BPA aside), it'll be at least one CB, two LBs, three DLs, one WR, and one reach OL that they traded down three times for.

Our Man in Chicago

Reaction score
Tate's numbers are slightly deceiving, due to the fact that CALVIN JOHNSON has been out or a limpy decoy essentially the whole year. He's still the wall marlin that got away, though.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
SeaChase":2wspgge9 said:

Problem with that, is we can only keep a hand full. Unless of course your assuming rookies are stealing jobs away from your starting lineman this year......

NFL's roster rules really hurt good drafting teams like Seattle.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":11yd81pa said:
Just posted this on the draft forum:

They don't release the actual formula but it's predominantly done on contract. However, the fact that post season honours are a factor makes Golden's situation interesting. We're slotted to get a 4th from his salary, but he's a lock for the Pro Bowl at this stage and might even take All Pro honours if he keeps up his play. You'd have to think that 4th could then turn into a 3rd, but the NFL probably keep their formula under wraps so they can screw teams like us out of such compensation.

Regardless, our 2015 draft is looking fantastic, and even if we end up with the 4th for Golden it should look something like this...

1st
2nd
3rd
4th x 4 (Our original fourth plus comp' fourths for Golden and BB, plus a conditional if Percy remains with Jets)
5th x 2 (Original pick plus comp for Giac)
6th (Traded for Burley but should acquire one for WTIII or Clinton Mcdonald)
7th

That's 11 picks, 7 of which could come in the first 4 rounds.

Of course, Percy's not remotely close to being a lock for a 4th, but even if it ends up being a sixth we're looking at a really good situation that gives us plenty of manoeuvrability.

It's annoying that the formula isn't open to the public and whilst analysts have tried to decode it, they're still not certain.

I wonder if the original team's success might have something to do with it, and that a successful season for us may be detrimental to our chances of getting anything more for Tate.

I can't think of any of any examples where players have garnered a higher comp pick than their contract suggested, but I'm sure someone can?

I don't think it has anything to do with our team's success. The 49ers have received 3rd and 4th round picks every year for their guys leaving.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1k05cutd said:
I don't think it has anything to do with our team's success. The 49ers have received 3rd and 4th round picks every year for their guys leaving.

Yes, and we are guaranteed a 4th due to Tate's salary. I was simply pondering the conditions that come into play for that 4th to turn into a 3rd.

kearly

Reaction score
Seattle signed Kevin Williams. It wasn't for a ton of money, but he's got a hell of a resume which factors significantly into the formula (this is why he went unsigned until mid-June). I assume it will cancel out a decently shiny comp pick, though Seattle lost so many players that they might end up with four bonus picks anyway.

pehawk

Reaction score
kearly":nqyprz4f said:
Seattle signed Kevin Williams. It wasn't for a ton of money, but he's got a hell of a resume. I assume it will cancel out a decently shiny comp pick, though Seattle lost so many players that they might end up with four bonus picks anyway.

Wasn't that after June 1st? Ie; not eligible for comp equations?

mikeak

Reaction score
pehawk":1c0lv2v2 said:
kearly":1c0lv2v2 said:
Seattle signed Kevin Williams. It wasn't for a ton of money, but he's got a hell of a resume. I assume it will cancel out a decently shiny comp pick, though Seattle lost so many players that they might end up with four bonus picks anyway.

Wasn't that after June 1st? Ie; not eligible for comp equations?

Yes june 12