2015 draft strategy?

Trrrroy

Reaction score
I'm having trouble deciding what the strategy I'm going to take for my main league this season. Usually I get a top RB in the first, top WR in the second. This season, I decided I was going to take advantage of the seemingly deep WR group, and go RB with my first two picks. I've been doing that in a number of mock drafts and have liked the results.
But then I noticed how many starting RB's have been available later. You have guys like Joseph Randle, Tevin Coleman, Crowell, Sankey, T.J. Yeldon, Blount etc... available in the fifth and later. Not the best names, for sure, but they have enough upside to think at least a few of them will pan out. So I've been going WR with my first two picks, and stocking up on these names late. I've really been pleased with the results.

Thoughts?

OP
OP
Trrrroy

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Here was my last mock with the early WR strategy, picking last with 12 teams:

QB: Philip Rivers
WR: Demaryius Thomas
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Andre Johnson
RB: Latavius Murray
RB: T.J. Yeldon
TE: Delanie Walker
K: Cody Parkey
D: Carolina

Bench:
RB:
- Legarrette Blount
- Isaiah Crowell
- Bishop Sankey

WR:
- Michael Floyd
- Kendall Wright

TE:
- Tyler Eifert

Ozzy

Reaction score
Is this PPR or standard?

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
Year in and year out the highest scoring position other than QB is RB. Also, the drop off in talent between the top WRs taken in the first two rounds and those taken from rounds 3-6 is much less than RBs. That's why I continue to go with 2 RBs early, at least within the first 4 rounds but usually in the first 3. And the strategy is the same if I'm doing PPR.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I really think Latavius Murray will be a point stacker this year. He'll have a great year. Good choice. Good receivers too. I'd be excited if I got DT and Julio. And Eifert is a HUGE sleeper at TE. Huge. I like him, a lot. Here's the mock I did last night. Standard scoring. I picked 2nd. I was going to take Keenan Allen, but he went about 3 spots ahead of me, so I took Maclin instead. And I made one big blunder. I took Agholor in the 8th instead of the Hawks D. Hawks D got taken right after I took Agholor. I should've swapped those picks. Overall though, I think it's decent. Would you rather have Crow or Ryan Mathews as an RB3? Alshon or Mike Evans as your WR2?

QB: Matty Ice
RB:Beast
RB. Latavius Murray
WR: A.J. Green
WR: Mike Evans
WR: Jeremy Maclin
TE: Travis Kelce
K: Hausch
DEF: Buffalo

Bench
WR: Nelson Agholor
WR: Kenny Stills
WR: Chris Matthews
RB: Crow
RB: Duke Johnson
TE: Tyler Eifert

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I am finding that QB early is a big mistake. As for RB or WR, the draft board seems to dictate which one for me. TE also seems deep enough to wait on for a couple rounds

m0ng0

Reaction score
I am picking 13th out of 14 for the second year in a row in a standard league, I tried AJ Green and Dez with my first 2 picks last year and did well until AJ Green went down at the end, then so did my season. I had no solid running back waiting until the 3rd round.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I almost always go with 2 RB's early. My usual rule of thumb is 2 RB's in the first 3 rounds, and I'm almost guaranteed to take a RB in the first round. I think every year I've played fantasy I've taken a RB in the first round.

This year is a little different. After round 1, the RB pool drops off a bit. In round 2 I will be faced with choosing a tier 1 WR and a tier 2 RB. I'm not sure if I will be able to take a Jeremy Hill or Justin Forsett over Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson.

As for QB and TE, my rule of thumb is usually to either be the first to take one, or be the last (or near last). Meaning get Rodgers or Gronk, or just wait it out. I almost always wait and take my QB and TE after round 6 or 7. I'm most likely going to be targeting Matt Ryan, Romo, Eli, Cam or Stafford late.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
This year more than any recently, after the top 5 pics, you could really go WR or maybe even Gronk late in the 1st. I actually kind of like how deep RB seems to be this year

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Had my worst fantasy year ever last season and it was because I loaded up at QB/WR early and rotated bums at RB all year.

I know it's a boring method, but hammering out RB early is a must IMO. Only way I take a QB in R1 is if Rodgers/Luck fell to me at the bottom of R1 and some nice options at RB are there for you at the start of R2. If you're picking 1-8 though.. bad idea IMO to ignore RB.