Your best waiver wire addition

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Who are the players you picked off the waiver wire that was a major help during the season or even a single game you needed to win?

Mine would have to be Marshawn Lynch in 2011. Seattle was horrible running the ball to start the season and Lynch was averaging maybe 5 points a game, so someone dropped him after a 24 yard game in week 4.

I knew the potential, though, and for the next 12 games Lynch put up the best fantasy stats for a RB and basically led my team to finish with the most season points in my league.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Dang, great topic. Man, there's a lot. Seattle D in 2011 (i think it was that year). Browner's first year with the Hawks. I lost too many early games, so I missed the playoffs. But I got them after they waxed the Giants in NY. Defenses don't score a ton in that league, but Seattle got me around 20 PPG the rest of the way, and helped me go on a sserious tear.

Overall though, I had two in 2013 that pretty much won the championship for me. After watching the preseason game against Denver, I immediately picked up Julius Thomas. You know the rest. Then, after week 3, I think it was, I got Jordan Cameron off the wire. I didn't exactly NEED him since I had Thomas, but it was mostly for a potential trade chip, and to also keep him away from everyone else. I think I used Cameron at flex a couple times, and also when JT had his bye. Right at the deadline, I ended up trading Cameron and Kendall Wright for Josh Gordon and Geno Smith. I then dropped Smith for a D for a bye week filler. The first week I had Gordon was the first week that he absolutely went off. He had something like 35+ points. And it's not even a PPR league. I dominated from week one to the championship game, and won it all. Here was my championship lineup

QB: Fitzpatrick
RB: Lynch (acquired via trade that included Spiller after week 3)
RB: Andre Brown (another solid waiver add)
WR: AJ Green
WR: Gordon
TE: Thomas
Flex: Gio Bernard (late round draft pick)
D: Seattle
K: Novak

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Mike Vick, whatever year he came off the bench for Kevin Kolb early in the season. He putting up insane numbers that season, seemed like each week was 25-35 fantasy points. I just remember the Monday Night Game they played on the road against Washington and Vick had something like 50 fantasy points.

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":17kmudb1 said:
Dang, great topic. Man, there's a lot. Seattle D in 2011 (i think it was that year). Browner's first year with the Hawks. I lost too many early games, so I missed the playoffs. But I got them after they waxed the Giants in NY. Defenses don't score a ton in that league, but Seattle got me around 20 PPG the rest of the way, and helped me go on a sserious tear.

Overall though, I had two in 2013 that pretty much won the championship for me. After watching the preseason game against Denver, I immediately picked up Julius Thomas. You know the rest. Then, after week 3, I think it was, I got Jordan Cameron off the wire. I didn't exactly NEED him since I had Thomas, but it was mostly for a potential trade chip, and to also keep him away from everyone else. I think I used Cameron at flex a couple times, and also when JT had his bye. Right at the deadline, I ended up trading Cameron and Kendall Wright for Josh Gordon and Geno Smith. I then dropped Smith for a D for a bye week filler. The first week I had Gordon was the first week that he absolutely went off. He had something like 35+ points. And it's not even a PPR league. I dominated from week one to the championship game, and won it all. Here was my championship lineup

Oh man, Julius Thomas is a good example. I was one of those guys who missed on him and regretted it (and Jordan Cameron since you mentioned it). Both guys were on the waiver wire too and I didn't even put in a claim :/

That's a hell of a job adding to your roster. I think I would have really hated you by the end of the season if I was in your league ha ha. I'm in a money league with $10 each week to highest score. You might have swept the last 7 games of the year with that team.

One question. was Ryan Fitzpatrick your main QB that year?

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1702jkbk said:
Mike Vick, whatever year he came off the bench for Kevin Kolb early in the season. He putting up insane numbers that season, seemed like each week was 25-35 fantasy points. I just remember the Monday Night Game they played on the road against Washington and Vick had something like 50 fantasy points.
I remember that MNF game. I think Vick scored like 5 or 6 tds in the first half. It's too bad he could never stay healthy for a whole season once he got going with the Eagles.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":qlnrxmfc said:
Thepeelsessions":qlnrxmfc said:

Oh man, Julius Thomas is a good example. I was one of those guys who missed on him and regretted it (and Jordan Cameron since you mentioned it). Both guys were on the waiver wire too and I didn't even put in a claim :/

That's a hell of a job adding to your roster. I think I would have really hated you by the end of the season if I was in your league ha ha. I'm in a money league with $10 each week to highest score. You might have swept the last 7 games of the year with that team.

Haha, thanks man. That was such a fun year. We're all great friends, and our banter was priceless. Defending my trophy was tough last year. I started out terrible. Like taking Ben Tate in the third terrible. It was bad. But not giving up on Mike Evans and Jeremy Hill early on, and getting ODB on the wire saved my bacon. But I got smoked in the championship. Tough tough.

Heck no! It was a rollercoaster at QB. Mainly consisting of Kaep, Locker, Jason Campbell and Fitz. Oh, and I resorted to picking up Josh Freeman for his famous Vikings game. Thankfully I didn't start him though. What a disaster that was. And another one of my late round flier big guns was Cordarrelle, mainly due to return points. But he was also a relevant receiver his rookie year.

Yeah, 2011 Lynch was unstoppable. What about this year so far? It's still early, but have you gotten anyone you're really giddy about?

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":2tcdico8 said:
Recon_Hawk":2tcdico8 said:
Thepeelsessions":2tcdico8 said:

Haha, thanks man. That was such a fun year. We're all great friends, and our banter was priceless. Defending my trophy was tough last year. I started out terrible. Like taking Ben Tate in the third terrible. It was bad. But not giving up on Mike Evans and Jeremy Hill early on, and getting ODB on the wire saved my bacon. But I got smoked in the championship. Tough tough.

Heck no! It was a rollercoaster at QB. Mainly consisting of Kaep, Locker, Jason Campbell and Fitz. Oh, and I resorted to picking up Josh Freeman for his famous Vikings game. Thankfully I didn't start him though. What a disaster that was. And another one of my late round flier big guns was Cordarrelle, mainly due to return points. But he was also a relevant receiver his rookie year.

Yeah, 2011 Lynch was unstoppable. What about this year so far? It's still early, but have you gotten anyone you're really giddy about?

You know, not really, but I really hope there's an ODB type player out there waiting for me (holy hell another good pick up). I picked up Matt Jones in one league and Jordan Reed who has some potential for the TE spot, but I'm not sure they will have a huge impact on my starting roster. The people in my league seem to get better at fantasy football lol so I missed some claims on players that I think have potential, but didn't get. Guys like Dion Lewis and Travis Benjamin. David Johnson also has a chance to be big time if he takes over the starting role for Arizona. I made a mistake and dropped Denver's defense Week 1 to grab Miami and then couldn't pick them back up again, so someone is enjoying that claim.

The shitty thing for me about that 2011 season with Lynch on my roster was even though he killed it to finish the year, he was a part of the WORST fantasy football decision I've ever made. That year in the week 16 game to decide who plays for the trophy, I sat Lynch against the 49ers. You might remember, but it was the year their defense hadn't let a single rushing TD. I basically pussed out! I think Lynch ended the game with like 100 yards and 2 tds. I would have made (and won) the championship. To add insult to injury, the person i lost (and eventual winner) to was a 49ers fan!! Ugh. I still have nightmares about it.

How about you? Any gems so far?

chet380

Reaction score
C J Anderson and Martavis last year -- C J and Martellus were traded for the first claiming position in our 28 yr old keeper league which led to us getting Gurley.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1nud36yu said:
Hawk-Lock":1nud36yu said:
I remember that MNF game. I think Vick scored like 5 or 6 tds in the first half. It's too bad he could never stay healthy for a whole season once he got going with the Eagles.

Game was crazy. First play of the game I think Vick threw an 80 yard TD bomb to DeSean Jackson.

That Eagles team probably had the most speed I'd ever seen. At the time they had the fastest QB (Vick), RB (Shady McCoy in his prime), and WR (DeSean Jackson in his prime).

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
chet380":2mhj5rep said:
C J Anderson and Martavis last year -- C J and Martellus were traded for the first claiming position in our 28 yr old keeper league which led to us getting Gurley.

A 28 year old league is the longest I've ever heard a league lasting. Congrats on that. The way CJ Anderson's been playing so far your trade might work out for you. Of course, as hawks fan I have to root against that happening ')

OP
OP
Recon_Hawk

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2cjrg5qj said:
Recon_Hawk":2cjrg5qj said:
Hawk-Lock":2cjrg5qj said:

Game was crazy. First play of the game I think Vick threw an 80 yard TD bomb to DeSean Jackson.

That Eagles team probably had the most speed I'd ever seen. At the time they had the fastest QB (Vick), RB (Shady McCoy in his prime), and WR (DeSean Jackson in his prime).

Didn't they also have Maclin? Man, yeah that offense was crazy good. If only they could get back to putting up similar numbers to that season. I've got like 3 eagle players on my teams right now!

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Definitely Victor Cruz in 2011. I had a good team with no WR and he boosted me to the top of the league. Of course I lost the semifinal game and finished 3rd though.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1a2xkwf3 said:

Haha, Vick carried my teams to titles in three leagues.. including my main money league. I was high on Kolb that year so when he went down I grabbed Vick as insurance. Little did I know.

Couple years ago Josh Gordon was sitting in FA due to suspension and being on the Browns, I scooped him up.. he was the best WR in fantasy that year.

The year Shaun Alexander broke out on the scene I grabbed him in waivers.

Marques Colston's rookie year I grabbed him in waivers before the season started and not only was he a total stud, he had TE eligibility.. so I was basically going 4 WR all year. Was just unfair.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Jeremy Hill last season saw me over the finishing line.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
UK_Seahawk":122s973r said:
Jeremy Hill last season saw me over the finishing line.

God he sucks this season though. I just got Rawls in both my leagues just in case ML's injury is worse than we think.

Ozzy

Reaction score
My wife grabbed Rawls before I could, solid pickup and I'm starting to wonder if Lynch is going to be fighting injuries all year.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":1geczcms said:
My wife grabbed Rawls before I could, solid pickup and I'm starting to wonder if Lynch is going to be fighting injuries all year.

I keep telling you, I'm flattered but not your wife. :twisted:

Latest posts