My team: Could use some thoughts

Lithium

Reaction score
So quick history, I am in year four of a all friends league, which is very competitive. I have won 2 of the 3 years so far. 12 teams.

QB R. Wilson
RB L. Bell
RB T. Rawls
WR A. Robinson
WR T. Lockett
TE J. Reed
K. Houshka
D/ST Rams

M. Gordon
J. Ajayi
K Dixon
C. Coleman
T. Boyd
T. Sharpe
K. White

I am a perfectionist and constantly trying to improve my team, Im worried about my depth right now though. Wondering if I should flip J.Reed for a WR or RB and find a TE.

I couldnt get any cuffs which kinda sucks.

getnasty

Reaction score
You need one more WR and you'll be real good. I wouldnt trade Reed though, if healthy I think he out points Gronk this year. Your gonna need to hope one those rookies show up.

OP
OP
Lithium

Lithium

Reaction score
getnasty":3gb66rzo said:
You need one more WR and you'll be real good. I wouldnt trade Reed though, if healthy I think he out points Gronk this year. Your gonna need to hope one those rookies show up.

Thanks, yeah those were my thoughts as well.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Yeah I think you need to find a better WR2. Lockette could be good, but I wouldn't want to depend on him on a week-to-week basis. You will also need to find a RB for the first three weeks since Bell is suspended. If it were my team, I'd probably trade Russell for a weaker QB like Cousins or Carr and a solid WR2.

OP
OP
Lithium

Lithium

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2x9gd0n8 said:
Yeah I think you need to find a better WR2. Lockette could be good, but I wouldn't want to depend on him on a week-to-week basis. You will also need to find a RB for the first three weeks since Bell is suspended. If it were my team, I'd probably trade Russell for a weaker QB like Cousins or Carr and a solid WR2.

Thanks. I actually just picked up Cousins. Im gonna try and flip Wilson although it will be tough from a fans perspective lol

OP
OP
Lithium

Lithium

Reaction score
So I traded Wilson for A. Jeffery and picked up Dak, then traded him to a cowboys fan for A. Hurns....Feel way better about my team now.

Bryce84

Reaction score
I probably would've kept Dak, personally. Hurns doesn't excite me a lot, I have both Lockett and Coleman ahead of him in my ranks, White is around that area too. The upside of Dak is a lot higher than Hurns is, in my opinion - Dallas may find it hard to put Romo back in if Dak has that team in a nice rhythm offensively. In addition, I feel like your team has way more question marks at RB than WR to warrant adding someone like Hurns.

You have to survive the Bell suspension and then he's got a fairly high injury risk. We don't yet know how carries are going to be distributed between Rawls and company. I am optimistic about Gordon this year but him being your fill in for Bell and most bankable backup kind of scares me. Ajayi and Dixon I don't have very high expectations for. If you have a vastly different take on the RBs and WRs though then by all means your moves have been great! It's all subjective really. Even the best "experts" are wrong a lot.

OP
OP
Lithium

Lithium

Reaction score
Bryce84":10tw8ko9 said:
I probably would've kept Dak, personally. Hurns doesn't excite me a lot, I have both Lockett and Coleman ahead of him in my ranks, White is around that area too. The upside of Dak is a lot higher than Hurns is, in my opinion - Dallas may find it hard to put Romo back in if Dak has that team in a nice rhythm offensively. In addition, I feel like your team has way more question marks at RB than WR to warrant adding someone like Hurns.

You have to survive the Bell suspension and then he's got a fairly high injury risk. We don't yet know how carries are going to be distributed between Rawls and company. I am optimistic about Gordon this year but him being your fill in for Bell and most bankable backup kind of scares me. Ajayi and Dixon I don't have very high expectations for. If you have a vastly different take on the RBs and WRs though then by all means your moves have been great! It's all subjective really. Even the best "experts" are wrong a lot.

I feel what you are saying, I have my concerns too. As for Dak, he's a rookie QB and Hurns is a 1,000 yard 10td WR. Not saying that will happen again but I needed WR help and Cousin will put up better numbers than Dak almost surely. I actually am fine with Gordon for 3 weeks, he is a starting back at least.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Lithium":3m3c4hwj said:
So I traded Wilson for A. Jeffery and picked up Dak, then traded him to a cowboys fan for A. Hurns....Feel way better about my team now.

That's a nice trade. If Alshon stays healthy he is going to put up big numbers. But his health is a big "if." You basically traded a 4th rounder (RW) for a 2nd rounder (Jeffery). I doubt Dak has value this year, Cousins will make a good fantasy QB.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm starting to cool on Russell Wilson as a top fantasy QB. The spread looks and 3 WR sets that made him so dominant last year have been rolled back this preseason. Seattle is heading back to their roots and going more inline formation, run heavy stuff. And the umpteen bubble screens Bevell called in the first half of the tuneup game were a sobering omen as well.

To add insult to injury, Tyler Lockett wasn't even on the field in most 2 WR sets. At this point I am not trusting Lockett as anything more than a #4 WR in fantasy. It doesn't matter how talented he is if he only gets 60 catches.

Wilson has also continued a trend of running less. The better his OL plays, the less he takes off.

Bell and Rawls are uber-risky without those handcuffs. Good job getting them but it's certainly a turd in the punchbowl when you can't get their insurance policies.

Reed is risky and you didn't pair him with a more dependable TE in the later rounds like Gary Barnidge.

I think your bench is mostly bad. Way too many lottery tickets on it, and Dixon is really the only lottery ticket I would draft of that group. I hope Gordon is good, he'll be starting for you in weeks 1-3.

This is an extreme swing for the fences team. You've won league titles so odds are you kick ass on the waiver wire. You'll need those waiver wire skills with this team.

OP
OP
Lithium

Lithium

Reaction score
kearly":12xk4kp8 said:
I'm starting to cool on Russell Wilson as a top fantasy QB. The spread looks and 3 WR sets that made him so dominant last year have been rolled back this preseason. Seattle is heading back to their roots and going more inline formation, run heavy stuff. And the umpteen bubble screens Bevell called in the first half of the tuneup game were a sobering omen as well.

To add insult to injury, Tyler Lockett wasn't even on the field in most 2 WR sets. At this point I am not trusting Lockett as anything more than a #4 WR in fantasy. It doesn't matter how talented he is if he only gets 60 catches.

Wilson has also continued a trend of running less. The better his OL plays, the less he takes off.

Bell and Rawls are uber-risky without those handcuffs. Good job getting them but it's certainly a turd in the punchbowl when you can't get their insurance policies.

Reed is risky and you didn't pair him with a more dependable TE in the later rounds like Gary Barnidge.

I think your bench is mostly bad. Way too many lottery tickets on it, and Dixon is really the only lottery ticket I would draft of that group. I hope Gordon is good, he'll be starting for you in weeks 1-3.

This is an extreme swing for the fences team. You've won league titles so odds are you kick ass on the waiver wire. You'll need those waiver wire skills with this team.

Thanks for the thoughts, I see what you are saying on all points. It was definitely a risky roster, perhaps you didnt see the moves I have made since in the other posts.

I make my "living" with trades and waivers for sure. I will trade for Deangelo Williams after week 3. Just picked up Dak and traded him to a cowboys fan for A. Hurns. Traded Wilson for A. Jeffery and have Cousins as my QB. I usually stream QB's if I have too. Worked in my championship years. My bench Is ALWAYS full of lottery picks, it works for me every year. I dont want ho hum players on my bench, you can always find suitable replacements on waivers or minor trades so my bench is for stashing potential stars.

I too am slightly concerned with Lockett and his targets but IMO, you have to take some risks and go with your gut sometimes. Things always change from year to year. I try to anticipate that.

I'm not as concerned with Reed and the TE position. I mostly never carry two. Reed is also the hottest player in my league so I can always flip him for pretty much any TE and someone else. I like having players with high value.

I know all about risky players too. Last year I had 3 top RB's tear there knee up. Bell, Charles and Foster. But I traded and waiver'd my way to the championship. Picked up Kirk Cousins and dropped my season long starter in the championship game and Cousins got me 30+ points :)

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I really like Reed, but I don't think I can draft him. He is one concussion away from missing major time.

OP
OP
Lithium

Lithium

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":3l28uxof said:
I really like Reed, but I don't think I can draft him. He is one concussion away from missing major time.

I feel ya. I can trade him for ANY other TE in my league right now plus some other players. He is the hottest player in my league. I just love his upside too much.

Besides Gronk and Olsen (panther fan nabbed him), who do you think I should try to get?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Lithium":3a1riwx6 said:
Hawk-Lock":3a1riwx6 said:

I feel ya. I can trade him for ANY other TE in my league right now plus some other players. He is the hottest player in my league. I just love his upside too much.

Besides Gronk and Olsen (panther fan nabbed him), who do you think I should try to get?

Now that you made the trade for Alshon Jeffery, I really like your team as is. I wouldn't trade Reed, I'd just make sure you have a good insurance policy behind him. Is Jared Cook available? And assuming you have Cousins, the Cousins/Reed connection will be one of the best in fantasy.

If Reed stays healthy for all 16 games, he will have a good chance of outscoring Gronk. He is that good. But he has never played a full season in the NFL.

I do agree with Kearly that your bench isn't very good. Other than Melvin Gordon, you have a bunch of projects on your bench.

kearly

Reaction score
I make my "living" with trades and waivers for sure. I will trade for Deangelo Williams after week 3. Just picked up Dak and traded him to a cowboys fan for A. Hurns. Traded Wilson for A. Jeffery and have Cousins as my QB. I usually stream QB's if I have too.

Those are great moves. You Houdini'd your way into getting Hurns for free, that's pretty funny. The Wilson trade for Jeffery is pretty crazy, as Jeffery is getting drafted ahead of Wilson by ADP. Cousins is a great fallback option at QB. Chicago's offense is terrible, but Jeffery is really the only proven target for Cutler right now. He'll get his.

Normally I avoid drafting a bench TE, but if Reed gets hurt you are probably screwed at the TE position. Rarely you'll have a 2015 Barnidge or 2014 Gates who can be your waiver wire savior, but usually available mid-season TEs are pretty bad. Sounds like you have good connections and can make a trade. Still, at least for me, I would carry an insurance policy especially since Barnidge and Gates are going fairly late.

Also, Dixon got injured. MCL. Not season ending as far as I know, but he'll be out at least a month and it makes his odds of a breakout year even longer.

OP
OP
Lithium

Lithium

Reaction score
kearly":1whx9l9r said:
Normally I avoid drafting a bench TE, but if Reed gets hurt you are probably screwed at the TE position. Rarely you'll have a 2015 Barnidge or 2014 Gates who can be your waiver wire savior, but usually available mid-season TEs are pretty bad. Sounds like you have good connections and can make a trade. Still, at least for me, I would carry an insurance policy especially since Barnidge and Gates are going fairly late.

Also, Dixon got injured. MCL. Not season ending as far as I know, but he'll be out at least a month and it makes his odds of a breakout year even longer.

Yeah, I already got rid of Dixon. I can see why having a backup TE is wise with Reed. I will be on the lookout. Yeah, I was able to trade Wilson to a hawks fan and Dak to a Cowboys fan. Gotta know your league :)