Why is everyone so jazzed about motion controllers?

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Seriously? I get that it can track body movement...but if I want to throw a football, swing a bat, kick a ball, punch someone in the face I could go outside and do it.

Smurf

Reaction score
Exactly. I am not a huge fan of it, but i think its pretty neat we have the ability to do it.

I do think its pretty awesome i can have an actual conversation with an AI, if like no one else is a round or whatever. I think that type of function will be awesome for games like Fable III or Elder Scrolls V.

Snohomie

Reaction score
My roommate has a Wii, played it a lot. If the Wii wasn't a poor machine, there would be some awesome applications for the wiimote.

I'd like to see a better processor handle it. But I think the potential for it is fun. Even the simple Wii-Tennis games are, IMO, more fun than a regular tennis video game. And if you live in Bellingham, you get 5 months where it's warm enough to play tennis, during daylight. My room is always warm, and I can play it easily at night.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Right. The Wii has done motion controllers. My favorite game for it is still Wii Sports...that being said my does Sony and Microsoft need to expand into a niche market?

Snohomie

Reaction score
When that niche market involved the best selling game system... yeah.

*shrug* I got a PS3, but once the motion-sensor technology improves no doubt I will buy one.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Best selling system no doubt...but I'm stilling waiting the games to take full advantage of the motion sensors. Right now I think Wii Sports is still the best sports game for the Wii, in fact I think it's their best game [but it's too limited but it's the game I probably play the most]. Had Wii Sports not been included with the Wii console, it would probably be the best selling game for the Wii much like in Japan where it was sold individually.

Also, once Sony and Microsoft launch their respective motion controllers it will launch as a "niche" market. I enjoy joysticks and controllers to motion sensors.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Again... If I want to play with real friends, throw a real football, swing a real bat, etc, etc... I'd go outside.

It's all very cool and interesting concepts but I don't see how this is the future. Controller-based video games still reign supreme.

Sanity

Reaction score
I disagree sammy. Project NATAL from Microsoft is going to revolutionize gaming. Imagine the ealism of a golf game and how you could work on your swing, when it is raining, from the comfort of your home.

I am jacked for NATAL. I also like my Wii, the bowling is fun and Tiger Woods is awesome.

Snohomie

Reaction score
sammyc521":1wk4j1c0 said:
Again... If I want to play with real friends, throw a real football, swing a real bat, etc, etc... I'd go outside.

It's all very cool and interesting concepts but I don't see how this is the future. Controller-based video games still reign supreme.

Do you live in California or Arizona or something, by chance?

For those of us living in Bellingham, we can swing a bat or throw a football maybe 4, at best 5 months a year. I didn't start ditching my coat til middle of May, and will probably start wearing sweatshirts in October. That's a lot of time when the weather here is downright unpleasant.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I am currently in Tokyo, Japan; I cannot afford the luxury to do many of the things mentioned, but it is possible. I have lived in Washington State most of my life.

To say that you are limited to play sports due to weather is a poor excuse. I've golfed in rain, played football in rain, swam in the rain, etc, etc. Yes, weather hinders many people but to say that there are only 4-5 months to do anything outside in Washington is weak. Maybe 4-5 months of being able to play in "perfect weather," sure...

Everything you're arguing for is based on theory which is fine but I think that motion controllers will not replace normal controllers ever. Maybe it has more to do with my lack of faith that any of these companies will be able to full replicate full 1:1 motion that has been promised.

I love the rain, so it doesn't bother me to get drenched. I do see the point you're making how weather can make it miserable to do anything.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I played baseball since before I could write my name, and in the rain too. I've yet to find a league that doesn't cancel because of rain. And I haven't found a good batting cage here in BHAM. I signed up for softball this year with the school, and got rained out of 2 of my 5 planned games. Bellingham weather is a little more severe than Snohomish weather, I'll admit. But a lot of sports don't work well in the rain (golf in the rain seems frustrating, but I admit I don't know a ton about golf. I have a baseball swing when I golf, it's ugly).

I'm closer to you, I'll play in most anything. But when you're talking about team sports, it's another story.

I admit, I'm skeptical that 1:1 will come about soon. I think eventually they'll get it right, but the main reason I don't own a Wii is that half the time I throw a punch, the wii doesn't sense it because I punch too fast (I own a punching bag and use it regularly, so I guess I'm probably not "normal").

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Sammy, you're not thinking big enough. Project Natal is ever so much more than a body controller. (and no, I wasn't fooled by that scripted Milo video, either)

Watch the little videos here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/projectnatal/

Now think about coming in and sitting down, being able to control your TV/DVR/movies/sound & music/room lighting with your hands or words and no remotes, and while watching a sweet new film, you see a particularly awesome sequence (think of seeing Neo dodging the bullets from the agent in The Matrix on the rooftop for the first time) and want to share it with a friend. With a word or two and/or a hand gesture or two, you're looking at them if they're already in their living room after accepting your video chat request and you go "hey, check this out" and you share a clip by saying show <friend's name> this movie from 46:30 to 48:17 and it shows them that portion of the movie as a preview, and they go "wow, that was awesome" and they buy the movie or watch it on Netflix right then and there, if they want.

That's a small example of what could be done with Project Natal, if it gets developed properly; it'd be able to integrate almost anything together. One of the best things in those videos for me would be the trivia gameshow; I love trivia games. You could even turn on your computer (wake on LAN through your router) and show your computer screen on your TV and do whatever you want with the computer via that if they develop software for it; a nice network HTPC via the 360, no mouse/keyboard required.

There are infinite possibilities if this device will be made well and reasonably priced; almost everything lies in the hands of software developers for it. If they do things right, (I have high hopes because they've gotten to practice with a much more limited system with some of the same concepts; the Wii) this could be revolutionary. Steven Spielberg is already looking to make some parts of new films interactive with this. (think of the Choose Your Own Adventure books, at certain points you could choose between different choices the film's characters make that are available that they've filmed...choosing your own ending to a film based on the choices you've made, pretty ambitious)

Get the picture? Things like what I just mentioned are why there's so much press surrounding Project Natal. If it's done right, it could change the entire world in some fundamental ways.

Everyone hope that this doesn't get ****ed up.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Maybe for the next generation. I don't like a cluttered interface. I don't see how a screen wouldn't get bogged down with HUD's, UI and the like if you have to control it with your fingers/hands. This thing is still in its infancy and I don't think it's anything to get excited about since it seems like it's a long way from what you're envisioning.

How is that different from a mouse and a keyboard, a cell phone or the usual internet?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
That's kind of like asking what the big deal is about a GUI as opposed to good old command-line DOS. If you can't see it, I can't show you.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I think there is a big difference between the current onscreen interface and future motionbased interfaces.

We at both talking about hypotheticals. You see enough to be impressed. I don't see enough to warrant change with how I play my video games.

Also the idea that everything is hooked up through a console does not interest me either.

Sanity

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2dxd5xaq said:
That's kind of like asking what the big deal is about a GUI as opposed to good old command-line DOS. If you can't see it, I can't show you.

Well said.

Ashy

Reaction score
Snohomie":2bqkqht1 said:
I admit, I'm skeptical that 1:1 will come about soon. I think eventually they'll get it right, but the main reason I don't own a Wii is that half the time I throw a punch, the wii doesn't sense it because I punch too fast (I own a punching bag and use it regularly, so I guess I'm probably not "normal").

+1. True 1:1 is still a ways off (I don't think Natal or PS Motion will get there either). I'll be on a controller until then.