Activision/Blizzard threatens to stop pub/dev for PS3/PSP

TestMo1337

Reaction score
The target is Sony, the once-dominant hardware maker. “I'm getting concerned about Sony; the PlayStation 3 is losing a bit of momentum and they don't make it easy for me to support the platform. It's expensive to develop for the console, and the Wii and the Xbox are just selling better. Games generate a better return on invested capital on the Xbox than on the PlayStation,” he says.

“They have to cut the price, because if they don't, the attach rates [the number of games each console owner buys] are likely to slow. If we are being realistic, we might have to stop supporting Sony.”
Ask when and he says: “When we look at 2010 and 2011, we might want to consider if we support the console — and the PSP [portable] too.” Sounds like Sir Howard Stringer, Sony's chief executive, is going to have to call Mr Kotick pretty fast.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article6531367.ece

Pretty big words from the man at the top. Kotaku.com calls it "just saber-rattling" which I tend to agree with.

Don't see the momentum thing unless he's really into motion controllers. :D

Non-documented sources are saying that the number of consoles world-wide is 30 million Xbox 360 vs 22 million PS3. (No clue how many Wii's out there).

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It's a message to Sony to stop being ****ing idiots and making their consoles difficult to develop for for no other reason than because they can. (which is what development on the PS3 is like; nails on a chalkboard)

Latest posts