Updating your PS3 HDD

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Anyone else ever updated their PS3 HDD?

I just bought a new HDD for my PS3 and I'm having the damnedest time trying to get out 5 tiny screws.

My friend said that his was a lot easier... only 1 of the screws was difficult to get out.

Online confirms that the screws are absolute crap and get torn to shreds by most Philips head screwdrivers.

Right now I've resorted to filing the head to make a groove for a flat-head screwdriver.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I haven't replaced mine, but I've taken out my HDD and put it back in, so pretty much the same thing. The little blue screw on my old school 80gb model was a pain to remove, literally took me hours and I did the filing step too, after I ripped it to shreds. Very annoying.

No advice though. That happened 6 months ago and I've been trying to remove all memories from that ordeal from my head.

OP
OP
TestMo1337

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I just swapped out the old 60 GB HDD for a nice 500 GB.

Now I just have to restore it all and hope it all goes to plan.

I pretty much scrapped off all the blue from the blue screw. After waiting for my precision screwdriver set to arrive I found out that they were worthless for this task since the screws were put on so tight that I ended using a normal philips and applied a lot of pressure and got it off... then I spend the next two hours trying to take off the ones on the case. And failed.