Rocksmit

TravTex

Reaction score
What, nobody?

Okay, I'll give a mini-review. My background is relevant: I played my first Live Gig fronting a band when I was 18. Bizarrely, the memory comes rushing back to me. It was this little bar/grill place in Rio Rancho, NM... and I thought I was going to crap myself or throw up, or throw up while crapping myself. My hands shook, I couldn't remember song lyrics. Yet, somehow, I pulled a good enough performance out of my ass to get diner's attention and went on from there to...

Well, a stunted music career involving hundreds upon hundreds of shows in front of audiences ranging from 5 to 5,000 people. At one point, I was booked to appear on the Charlie Daniels Talent Round-Up (Haha!). A week before the trip, the show was cancelled. Then I started going through suicidal bass players... It was very Spinal Tap. Got offered a recording deal with Sun Studios that fell through within days of starting recording. Then the band fell apart, I fell in with a crazy woman, and the rest is just the history of your average schmuck getting older, married, and too busy for such idiocy.

So I, as a pretty decent guitarist/musician, love the hell out of Rocksmith.

It's definitely got flaws, some of which I'm hoping are to be fixed via patch, but overall it does precisely what it claims to do. You get a real-life guitar, plug it into your playstation, and learn some songs. Some of the problems aren't easy to recognize UNLESS you're a musician, so I guess that's good... although it makes some things more difficult than they need to be. (For instance, arpeggios in a song... If you knew ahead of time that you could just hold a chord form and pluck certain strings, it'd be much easier than RS's progressive difficulty thing just showing you one note at a time out of context.)

I heartily recommend, but don't think you're getting a 'game'. It's like the EA Active of music software.

(Back to rocking some Freebird.)