Greatest RTS ever gets re-released with modern graphics

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Ok, that is pretty badass. This game is the opposite of Starcraft II. Amazing multiplayer and total shit for a single player campaign.

Pre-fatherhood I used to LAN this game up with 8 buddies fairly regularly and it was always a different game.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
We need to play some .NET AoE II games when this bad boy comes out. I've completely forgotten how to play it, but I'm sure it'll come back quickly.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I remember my first time playing multiplayer and I built one of each unit producing building and some walls...then I got utterly destroyed by the guy who just built like 10 each of like 2 types of unit producing buildings and overran me in seconds.

You gotta get into the opposing teams trade route and jack up their caravans.

If someone is playing as Japanese, their trebuchets will ruin you.

That is most of what I remember.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I only remember making a bunch of Teutonic Knights, or archers playing as the Britons. Man, I've forgotten so much of that game. I've forgotten the face of my father. :(

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
That's awesome. Especially the multi-monitor support. Wasted so much time with AoE II in high school.

Wish Blizzard would do the same with Warcraft II.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Yeah, building in multi-monitor support is a great move, I can't wait to see how they implemented it. $19.70 after tax on Steam, I just bought it.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1k3cv6lu said:
That's awesome. Especially the multi-monitor support. Wasted so much time with AoE II in high school.

WC2 was a grandfather to many things, but I don't think it would hold up to the test of time. 2 playable races... I'm not sure I ever did it multiplayer, but I just don't see it being in AoE's league.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
JesterHawk":aogj1bfa said:
Sarlacc83":aogj1bfa said:

WC2 was a grandfather to many things, but I don't think it would hold up to the test of time. 2 playable races... I'm not sure I ever did it multiplayer, but I just don't see it being in AoE's league.

Possible that the reality would take off some of the shine from my nostalgia. Still, I long for the days of loading up on Berserkers, Ogre Mages, and Dragons and raining hell on opponents.

OP
OP
RolandDeschain

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I'll never understand why Warcraft was so popular. I did not care for it. The strategy part of AoE II trumped the holy hell out of Warcraft times a thousand.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2r5o1qau said:
I'll never understand why Warcraft was so popular. I did not care for it. The strategy part of AoE II trumped the holy hell out of Warcraft times a thousand.

The Warcraft series were popular because they were the best RTS if you wanted something a little less serious, more straight-forward, and dumbed down than AOE. I will agree, though, that AOE and especially AOE II were much better games in terms of strategy and involvement.

Starcraft, on the other hand...I cannot for the life of me understand why anybody ever liked that game other than the fact that it was full of cool, futuristic-looking buildings and vehicles that took place in space. Other than that the game was boring and broken as hell in so many aspects. I didn't play 2, but I can say that the breakdown of 2 in the post above pretty much sums up the original Starcraft.

LAN parties were always fun until people started playing Starcraft. Half of the people hated the game so they wouldn't play it and the other half would be stuck playing one match for hours.