Fantasy Keeper Advice

SeaDiddy

Reaction score
So the league that I'm playing in allows us to keep up to four players, but the catch is that you have to give up your draft pick one round higher than they were drafted last year. For example, if Andrew Luck was taken in the 7th round last year, you would have to give up this year's first round pick to keep him. To keep players drafted in the first round, you give up this year's first round pick. To keep players that you picked up as a free agent, you give up your last pick.

Here is my team:

Round 1 - Arian Foster
Round 2 - Andre Johnson
Round 3 - Adrian Peterson
Round 4 - Michael Vick
Round 5 - Stevie Johnson
Round 6 - BenJarvus Green-Ellis
Round 7 - Jason Witten
Round 9 - Seattle Defense
Round 9 - Golden Tate
Round 10 - Matt Schaub
Round 11 - Rashard Mendenhall
Undrafted - Josh Gordon
Undrafted - Joe Flacco
Undrafted - Lawrence Tynes
Undrafted - Tampa Bay Defense

So, I'm thinking that AP and Foster are no brainers. My question is, do I keep Andre Johnson for what is essentially a third round pick? It seems like his production has been declining, but I'm not sure that I'm gonna be able to find a better receiver in the third round. For my fourth keeper, I'm not really sure what to do. I was thinking about keeping Flacco, just so I had some QB insurance, since I won't have a pick in the first 3 rounds, but with Percy Harvin out for awhile Golden Tate might be a decent option. Witten is always a solid option at TE. Or maybe Seattle's Defense..... Thoughts anyone?

Shock2k

Reaction score
If you have at least a .5 PPR League, keep Jason Witten. Adrian Peterson went in the third, seriously? Definatley worth a 2nd round pick. IF PPR Andre Johnson might be a good choice. Arian is nicked up this year so I would skip him and pick up one of the top QB's, or if you have a high first round (which most likely you don't given your roster from last season) you may be able to grab a Marshawn, D. Martin, A. Morris or Ray Rice.

So i would say definatley Peterson and Whitten (if PPR). Maybe Andre.

I would keep the Seattle D also. For an 8th round pick you get a D that was averaging 11 points a game. and should be BETTER this year.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Yeah, ADP for a 2nd rounder is an absolute no brainer. I'd definitely round out with Arian Foster (make sure you draft Ben Tate this year as your handcuff), and then I'd keep Witten and Tate.

Seattle D is not worth an 8th rounder. Defenses should only cost you a late rounder because they're so unpredictable. Last year, for instance, you could have picked up the Denver defense with a 15th round pick, and they were far better than teams that went in the 8th or 9th.

OP
OP
S

SeaDiddy

Reaction score
Thing is, if I keep Andre and Peterson, I'm still giving up my 1st and 2nd round pick, which makes Foster basically a 3rd rounder. The only way I get my 1st rounder is if I give up Foster and Andre. Also, I've got the second to last pick, so I'm not sure how many better players will be there to make it worth it. Most of the guys you mentioned will be kept by other teams. Especially if they were taken in later rounds. I think Lynch will be available, but probably not with the 2nd to last pick. I think it's a toss up between Witten and Seattle's D for the fourth keeper. It is a PPR league, so Witten is a good option, but I remember Seattle's D getting me a lot of points last year.

OP
OP
S

SeaDiddy

Reaction score
There are 12 teams in the league.

Looking closer at the TE position, it doesn't look like there are many elite TEs available this year, so I think I am going to keep Witten. Dude just gets targeted too often.

I guess that just leaves me with my original question, which is should I keep Andre Johnson for a third round pick? Or should I keep Tate for an eighth round pick. I think I'm going to keep Andre Johnson. While it seemed like his production was down, he was third in fantasy points in our league last year. Plus, I'm not really going to have a shot at any of the elite QBs anyways. They'll either be kept or taken in the first two rounds. I know that Stafford, Dalton, and Luck will all be available, so maybe one of them will fall to the 4th round, since a lot of teams already have their QB, and will be looking for WRs and RBs.