Properly Running a Dynasty League

highplainsdrifter

Reaction score
I'm wondering if any of you know whether there are any good websites that discuss Dynasty League formats, playing experiences, etc.

I have a few questions for anyone who has some experience running or participating in a Dynasty League.

I am currently in a Keeper league that uses 17 roster spots throughout the season and Keeps 9. We want to make the jump to full Dynasty. I suspect the roster size of 17 is too small to make jumping to a Dynasty format worth it. 17 doesn't seem enough for those owners who want to store multiple deep sleepers for the future and still be able to field enough options for the present. However, the more roster spots that are added, the more the free-agent pool is depleted, and I think that's a big issue for players in our league because they enjoy having at least SOME decent options with the waiver wire. I've heard of Dynasty leagues with rosters that go up to 30, though that seems way too many. Do any of you have an opinion as to what a healthy balance is?

A couple owners in our league are worried that Dynasty, since we can keep ALL our players year-in-and-year-out, will shift the balance and make the rich much richer and the poor much poorer. Some even view it as the potential death nail to our league, which I find preposterous. Anyone have any experience that can validate or invalidate that theory?

Lastly, how much better is Dynasty? Is it much more involved? Does it get owners to participate more? Any other advice?

JKent82

Reaction score
One league I've been involved with used a salary cap where the points scored the previous year is the salary for the player. Rookies, DST, and Kickers have a value of zero. However the league also was much more touchdown heavy, with 3 points for 100 yards recieving/rushing, and points for long touchdowns, and things of that sort.

Anyways I think its the best possible way to have dynasty league. You can keep what you want, it's not limited to 3 guys or something weird like that, and at the same time you can't end up with a roster composing of all-pros at every position. It adds a lot of dimensions to trades and makes rookies important. Of course it takes way more work and you need dedicated owners to do it.

The roster size was 18 I think, but only 8 teams.