GTA V Online...racing.

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
So, my current record in races is 12 wins 189 losses. In the storied history of my video game career I have never achieved this level of futility. Dark Souls was a breeze by comparison. I mean, WTF? No, what I really mean is: WTFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :229031_banghead:

So frustrating!

I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. Obviously the cheating bastards in this game running you off the road does not help, but I can't seem to ever catch back up. Dudes in lesser cars zoom right passed me all the time. I am slipstreaming and use turbo off the line but I still massively suck.

Is this just a matter of other players having upgrades that I don't? Obviously with my low win total I am not eligible to even upgrade my cars and bikes. I am also concerned that it is a controller input issue, like there is some secret acceleration button that I am unaware of.

Can anybody help out?

Also, I joined the .NET Crew. Gamertag: seahawq

tubbs51

Reaction score
Its the lag. the differences in internet sadly. At least that what i've heard. Try racing in a pack with friends and maybe they'll help you take out rival drivers and what not.

I do know at the beginning if you slam on RT when "GO" pops up you'll get a quick boost off the line. Also make sure the race doesnt have custom vehicles, cause that'll change everything.

OP
OP
Thunderhawk

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
tubbs51":3vtjvuw7 said:
Its the lag. the differences in internet sadly. At least that what i've heard. Try racing in a pack with friends and maybe they'll help you take out rival drivers and what not.

I do know at the beginning if you slam on RT when "GO" pops up you'll get a quick boost off the line. Also make sure the race doesnt have custom vehicles, cause that'll change everything.
Yeah, I think you may be right about the lag. I have 25 mb pipe through my cable company but it seems like some players are still on 28.8k dial-up. Their cars literally flash on and off the screen every other second.

Never had these problems in NFS or Forza. This game is incredible and will be doubly so once they sort all of these issues out.

Roland, I'm going to get the PC edition too. I can't even imagine a Steam Workshop for this game. The player developed content for Skyrim was awesome and Los Santos is larger with more options to play with. Should be cool...

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
My win rate right now is close to about 50% (I think I'm roughly about 45 wins to 50 losses, but it changes every time obviously).

I always host races, never join them because there are a few key options that affect the outcomes.

1. Traffic - turn it off for better racing
2. Custom Vehicles - lower levels it isn't a huge deal when you're racing Super/Sports cars because no one has these cars, let alone has dumped $$$ into them to make them faster. I personally turn custom vehicles off to get everyone on a level playing field.
3. Catch-up - If I ever see that someone has catch up turned on, I leave immediately. I'm not trying to play Mario Kart and basically have first place taken from me or handed to me for no reason. This is not racing. I always turn it off to make sure that it is fair and that you sleep in the bed you've made.

As far as tips for racing...
1. Make sure you choose a competitive car. For Super, choose the Entity or the Adder. They are the two fastest and the Entity is the best handling car in the game. Sports, choose the Carbonizarre or 9F.
2. Watch out for the first turn! It's easy to go in a straight-line from the start, but there is almost always (I'd say it has to be in the 90%+ region) bumping, grinding and crashing in the first corner. How you start the race is probably the most important part of the race. I know I can deal with any other racer 1v1, but when you're in a pack and you can get hit from any angle, it's very important to be cautious and get the race underway while giving yourself a good chance to comPETE.

I always take the first corner extremely tight so no one has a good shot at rear-ending me, or I slow down more than anyone, take it really wide and get on the gas and dodge everyone who crashes in front of me.

Other than that, I don't have much for tips.

OP
OP
Thunderhawk

Thunderhawk

Reaction score
JGfromtheNW":11ato4pf said:
My win rate right now is close to about 50% (I think I'm roughly about 45 wins to 50 losses, but it changes every time obviously).

I always host races, never join them because there are a few key options that affect the outcomes.

1. Traffic - turn it off for better racing
2. Custom Vehicles - lower levels it isn't a huge deal when you're racing Super/Sports cars because no one has these cars, let alone has dumped $$$ into them to make them faster. I personally turn custom vehicles off to get everyone on a level playing field.
3. Catch-up - If I ever see that someone has catch up turned on, I leave immediately. I'm not trying to play Mario Kart and basically have first place taken from me or handed to me for no reason. This is not racing. I always turn it off to make sure that it is fair and that you sleep in the bed you've made.

As far as tips for racing...
1. Make sure you choose a competitive car. For Super, choose the Entity or the Adder. They are the two fastest and the Entity is the best handling car in the game. Sports, choose the Carbonizarre or 9F.
2. Watch out for the first turn! It's easy to go in a straight-line from the start, but there is almost always (I'd say it has to be in the 90%+ region) bumping, grinding and crashing in the first corner. How you start the race is probably the most important part of the race. I know I can deal with any other racer 1v1, but when you're in a pack and you can get hit from any angle, it's very important to be cautious and get the race underway while giving yourself a good chance to comPETE.

I always take the first corner extremely tight so no one has a good shot at rear-ending me, or I slow down more than anyone, take it really wide and get on the gas and dodge everyone who crashes in front of me.

Other than that, I don't have much for tips.

That's a great win rate. Thanks for the tips. I won 4 races yesterday doing what you suggest, although I still rarely host because it takes forever to get players to join.

I just bought an Entity. I've discovered that *allegedly* certain upgrades, like armor, slow you down or unbalance the car. I used to get armor on all my rides to survive GTA races but I'm going to get rid of it. I didn't install any on the Entity and it seems like there is a difference in performance.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I just started playing last week and am 6W in 14 races. I haven't done races with custom cars though since I can't afford 'em.

TriCHawk

Reaction score
I feel your pain. I haven't raced a whole lot, but I'm like 4-13 or something like that.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Play the track a few times by yourself so you get an idea of the course. Playing solo still nets you RP just not cash.

TravTex

Reaction score
I just go ahead and lose because GTA5 Online is having more entertainment value as a documentary of my criminal incompetence than anything else.

Particularly fond of the time JG ramped a motorcycle off a mountain while I was riding bitch and deliberately did a half back-flip so as to stick the landing directly on my head. (The exploding ramped cop car being a close second.)

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Just won like 10 in a row last night. That was sweet.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
TravTex":e2x0z344 said:
I just go ahead and lose because GTA5 Online is having more entertainment value as a documentary of my criminal incompetence than anything else.

Particularly fond of the time JG ramped a motorcycle off a mountain while I was riding bitch and deliberately did a half back-flip so as to stick the landing directly on my head. (The exploding ramped cop car being a close second.)

Hahahaha ohhhh boredom.

253hawk

Reaction score
Racing is bullshit, especially with slipstream and catch-up turned on. I ran a flawless race -- boosted off the line, avoided the inevitable pile up crash on the first turn -- and turned it loose all the way to the end. The guy in second place crashed head-on into traffic three separate times at max speed (I kept flicking back to rear-view to check when he got close enough) and still kept creeping up on me like Jason from Friday the 13th...then he caught up one last time and rear-ended me just as I crossed the finish line. Only a few more wins until I've got all the unlocks though...

SonicHawk

Reaction score
253hawk":3nmg53um said:
Racing is bullshit, especially with slipstream and catch-up turned on. I ran a flawless race -- boosted off the line, avoided the inevitable pile up crash on the first turn -- and turned it loose all the way to the end. The guy in second place crashed head-on into traffic three separate times at max speed (I kept flicking back to rear-view to check when he got close enough) and still kept creeping up on me like Jason from Friday the 13th...then he caught up one last time and rear-ended me just as I crossed the finish line. Only a few more wins until I've got all the unlocks though...

Slipstream is too much of an edge. I never race with catchup on.