Elder Scrolls Online

Uffda

Reaction score
Anyone thinking of playing this game?

I just preordered the collector's edition.

Just wondering because none that I know irl plays games, if anyone would care to group up, when the game goes live.

Exittium

Reaction score
I'm still on the fence, about it. I still don't feel they are delivering on what they set out to do. My wife a huge Elder Scrolls homer even strayed away from it.

Snohomie

Reaction score
I'm a huge MMO junky, even though with work/school I don't get much time anymore.

I am sure it will be a letdown for the hardcore Elder Scroll fans, I like the series but I'm not all wrapped up in the lore so I can look at the game just compared to other MMORPGs:

IMO, it's an MMO with RvR (or AvA) combat, some degree of action combat, and class freedom - that makes it vastly more interesting than anything else on the MMO market right now, IMO.

I'd be down to group up once I buy it. Not sure what alliance I will play for, but I'll probably be using Snohomie as my in-game name.

razgriz737

Reaction score
My roommate played the beta for it, and he didn't really go into detail but he said he wasn't really impressed. He is a huge Skyrim fan, but he hasn't played any of the other Elder Scrolls games though.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I played the beta for a few hours. It really wasn't great. Not a single thing that jumped out at me as being innovative or even an upgrade over other MMO's that I've played.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":916xwlcf said:
I played the beta for a few hours. It really wasn't great. Not a single thing that jumped out at me as being innovative or even an upgrade over other MMO's that I've played.

I've played it a couple hours as well. While it looks nice and everything, it seems relatively boring.

DISCLAIMER: This is my first experience with an MMORPG.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tried playing again this weekend, and I just can't get into it. It feels a lot more like Random MMORPG #973 than an Elder Scrolls game. Love the Elder Scrolls series, but I won't be buying this; which is unfortunate, because I had high hopes for it when it was announced.

Laloosh

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3fdjaf6v said:
Tried playing again this weekend, and I just can't get into it. It feels a lot more like Random MMORPG #973 than an Elder Scrolls game. Love the Elder Scrolls series, but I won't be buying this; which is unfortunate, because I had high hopes for it when it was announced.

Not sure if you ever played Warhammer Online but I had the same feeling about this beta, that I had about crafting in Warhammer. Just wasn't well thought out.

OP
OP
Uffda

Uffda

Reaction score
Just found out that this weekends beta was a months old version. Since this was a stress test, was much lag and they had to bring the server down for fixes.

They have changed alot of things like being able to skip the starter islands added collision detection, the crates trunks in the world are instanced for each character. Tweaked alot of quests and balanced templates.

The newest build will be tested in about two weeks, and that is the open beta.

Atleast, we got a monkey pet when it goes live.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Uffda":2grc6xqp said:
Just found out that this weekends beta was a months old version. Since this was a stress test, was much lag and they had to bring the server down for fixes.

They have changed alot of things like being able to skip the starter islands added collision detection, the crates trunks in the world are instanced for each character. Tweaked alot of quests and balanced templates.

Targeting is strange, identifying group members in a crowd is tough, lack of a mini-map is a huge oversight. No option for integrated voice communication. Tons of issues imo.

If you're going to do an MMO, at least produce something comparable to games that have been around for years from the standpoint of functionality.

I'd also add that I hate the first person POV by default and the impact it has on peripheral vision around your character as well as the targeting (yes, I already brought up targeting) mechanics. I don't think any MMO that involves PVP (on any level) or group combat should default to a first person POV.

Lack of a healing class (versus casters that can utilize a healing staff) will limit the game with regard to group play, organized encounters (boss fights), etc.

OP
OP
Uffda

Uffda

Reaction score
First person POV, took a second ? to use the middle mouse to scroll back, tada. Was it on by default ?

I dislike first person, wasn't problem for me, though I never play games in first person anyway. I spend abit of time changing the controls to work the way I prefer in every game, wish they'd add a toggle to make the keybinds work on each character, so you don't have to set them again when you start a new character.

Did you know that they have a addon system up and being tested ?, everything you've had in old mmos will be added to the game, by players.(don't have to wait and hope for the devs to add it.) Every Elder Scrolls game were better because of addons that are made by the playerbase.

Mini maps, chat bubbles etc... Personally, I'd want character nameplates , FOV slider also.

Healing classes ?, every class can be that, equip a resto staff, or can wait until your second hotbar after 15th level, though some templates like Templar are better at that.

Exittium

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":2ws4ih5q said:
Uffda":2ws4ih5q said:

Targeting is strange, identifying group members in a crowd is tough, lack of a mini-map is a huge oversight. No option for integrated voice communication. Tons of issues imo.

If you're going to do an MMO, at least produce something comparable to games that have been around for years from the standpoint of functionality.

I'd also add that I hate the first person POV by default and the impact it has on peripheral vision around your character as well as the targeting (yes, I already brought up targeting) mechanics. I don't think any MMO that involves PVP (on any level) or group combat should default to a first person POV.

Lack of a healing class (versus casters that can utilize a healing staff) will limit the game with regard to group play, organized encounters (boss fights), etc.

While you've nailed on a lot of points that were my general complaints about the game from various betas.

A few of which I can live with i.e. lack of a mini map. The compass at the top works for me.
VOIP like how SOE does, I dont know that's more of a luxury imo. Its fairly cheap now a days to have one or if you have the bandwidth host one. I pay 30$ a year for a 50 man Mumble server. When I originally did the test, I was invited back in December and have been in one every weekend since. And they've by far made some leaps and bounds.

The targeting I agree, as I've played quite a few MMO's, started with Ultima Online, and the list goes on. And while each has had its own sort of targeting, the common thing between them minus Ultima Online was, tab targeting. It took me a few weekends to understand that in ESO the tab targeting is more for focus targeting, rather then just tabbing around.

And as for lacking a Healing class, for me thats a half and half. The Templar and Sorcerer seem to be the go to people for healing.

Overall is it something Ill buy? Maybe/Maybe Not. I'll give it a month to see how everything is and going. Is there still work to be done? Yes of course. The main issue I'm seeing right now? They seem to be stuck between MMO and An Elder Scrolls Game. I don't think there's enough to say its a solid MMO or enough to say its a solid Elder Scrolls game. And because of that I think it won't reach it full potential. There is also a lot still that hasn't been tested that's not in it either. Such as adventure maps, and Raid content. And I'm sure that stuff will come the close people are to getting near the end.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I was hoping this game would have a story/questing system like SWTOR with a combat and "world exploration" system like Skyrim/Oblivion. Too much to hope for, I guess.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
I'm glad I actually listened to my senses for once. I wanted this game to be awesome. I am a huge Elder Scrolls fan. The concept of this game seemed so huge and a too good to be true deal for me. So I took the wait and see approach, I haven't heard a whole lot of good things so far

City Of Reign

Reaction score
Speaking of SWOTR. Did they ever fix that game Roland. It is a super awesome game to level in, but the pvp and end game ruined it for me. I guess since it is free to play now I can see for myself. Another game that really disappointed me

Exittium

Reaction score
funny enough for me SWTOR has been for me the thing to be blowing time for now. "Shrug" EA/bioware still adding stuff but I don't know seems like a cash sink at times.

City Of Reign

Reaction score
EA draining you of money? You don't say!?!? Lol. What a horrible company. There is a reason that of all the companies to choose from they consistently get chosen as the worst company.

ChiefHawk

Reaction score
Love the Elder Scrolls series, Hate MMORPG because it is a bunch of punks playing murder hobo thieves (break in somebody's house, kill them, take their crap, repeat...).

I prefer the story based quests in the stand alone games (I like fallout of the same reason)

Sorry - I'm not in on an online version.

I may play the hell out of Oblivion/Skyrim for a couple months, then not touch it for 6 - my playing patterns and desire for story based quests don't match with online.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
They've improved PvP balance in SWTOR and added more maps and game modes, but it's still largely gear-based, which is annoying. Galactic Starfighter is pretty cool, though. I'd check that out for sure.

Exittium

Reaction score
So I've been messing around with it. Got a tauntaun from Hoth.. what a pita but then again im on a PvP server, The Bastion. I got toons on The Harbringer and JungMa .. but none of them are max .. been toying with SWTOR and D3 now with the new update.

Latest posts