Anyone else played out the Mass Effect series?

City Of Reign

Reaction score
So with the lack of games I feel worthy ofplayedollars, I reinstalled and played out this series again. I remembered being Kind of angered by the MET ending. As I played through this time though I got stuck and went online to figure things out. In my search I stumbled on the "Indoctrination Theory".

All I can say is Holy Hell. If that's what BioWare intended they pulled the biggest mind job I've ever experienced... went right over my head. At the sametime it leaves this smirk on my face of Damn I got indoctrinated by the reapers lol.

I'm still looking into it as I've also seen where this is just a cop out to a crappy ending. All the pieces are theft though. Tell me what you think if you have played.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Hell yes. The entire thing is amazing except for the ending of Mass Effect 3, but we can't let that ruin the 120+ hours of game play from the first through third games.

It's the greatest game series ever made. Ahead of The Elder Scrolls, IMO. I haven't replayed ME 1 because combat is pretty clunky in it, but before ME 3 came out, I played through ME 2 literally like five times.

ME 3 is also absolutely amazing all the way through...Until the ending. They definitely screwed the pooch and I'm sure they learned their lesson based on the backlash, but again, it doesn't change the fact that ME 2 and 97% of ME 3 are absolutely freaking amazing gaming experiences.

OP
OP
City Of Reign

City Of Reign

Reaction score
I've always had ESO and ME about neck and neck ... like 1a and 1b. I think it's unfair to stack them in a hierarchy as they both have their places. If Bethesda can ever make a decent follow up to Fallout3 , they'd have another epic series on its hands. And honestly I'd almost put Fallout 3 ahead of the others just for the simple reason that it seems to have been my fall back till recently when there is a lull in games out.

OP
OP
City Of Reign

City Of Reign

Reaction score
Oh and I'm with Jack, she's mine, you can't have her. I have a feeling you're a Liara man anyways lol

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
ME smokes Elder Scrolls because of having voice work for your own character. Makes a big difference, IMO.

Also, you're wrong. I'm all about Miranda. :)

OP
OP
City Of Reign

City Of Reign

Reaction score
ESO has a larger scale of do whatever wherever whenever on their side. I also agree that the voice acting for the protagonist is a huge plus too. That's why you'd be hard pressed for me to pick one over the other.

And I'll grant you that I have run through me2 and me3 with Miranda, she's just too hard to resist lol. I just like Jack's bad girl demeanor. To each their own lol

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
They are both RPGs, but really different in a lot of ways. If I could only have one series or the other...Well, I'd probably choose Elder Scrolls because you can waste a lot more hours on it, but Mass Effect is better, if you know what I mean?

OP
OP
City Of Reign

City Of Reign

Reaction score
I'll grant you that. BioWare is unmatched in their story telling abilities. In games that's what really grabs me the most. I was pissed the first time I played Me2 and I lost Grunt on the suicide mission. No other game has been able to make me feel and care about the characters in it as much as the ME series. Also really pissed when I had to shoot Ash, the list goes on and on .... Eff you Legion, there has to be another way!!!!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
That's what it really comes down to. BioWare gets you to care about some of the characters in the Mass Effect series.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I got burned out and couldn't finish 3. They are good games don't get me wrong I definitely enjoyed playing them to some extent...but there just isn't enough differences in part 2 and 3 to keep me playing. I eventually got very bored of the cut-scenes and picking good vs bad options. And sometimes I would pick something that was obviously good, and then I would get bad karma or whatever for it. Kinda pissed me off. The last straw while I was playing 3 was another glitch that made completing a side-quest impossible..happened in the first 2 games too and for the life of me I'm getting pretty tired of playing games with bugs in them....that goes for every fallout, elder scrolls, and KOTOR game i've played. I guess these types of games are hard to eat bugs out of or something.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Interesting, can't say I've ever gotten stuck on a bug in any of the ME games; and definitely never got bored with the story.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":34f3bcuc said:
Interesting, can't say I've ever gotten stuck on a bug in any of the ME games; and definitely never got bored with the story.

I've played Xenogears, so I'm spoiled when it comes to stories.

tooshort

Reaction score
Both series are awesome.

That said, Mass Effect actually evolved in all phases throughout its iterations whereas Elder Scrolls peaked with Morrowind in many aspects and then recovered (very,very nicely) with Skyrim.

If someone ever comes up with an RPG with the combat aesthetics of ME3 and the utterly expansive, life consuming, completionist devouring, mind blowingly orgasmic depth of Morrowind I believe I shall have a very antisocial decade or so.

TravTex

Reaction score
Gotta throw out an outlier for Best RPG, I'm torn between Baldur's Gate 2 and Planescape Torment. Meh, Bioware, either way.