Forte or Lacy 4th overall pick in the draft

arghawkfan

Reaction score
So i got the 4th pick in my ten team NON PPR fantasy pool, and im all but certain McCoy, Charles and AP will be picked 1-2-3.
Pro's and con's of each

Forte Pro's

Consistent threat in the running and passing game
Is a true feature back with only Kadeem Carey behind him
Plays in a high powered offense that will allow him to face 6-7 man fronts

Con's

going to be 29 in December
History of ankle injuries and various ailments

Lacy Pro's

True Power runner
Youth 24 years old
Huge threat at the goal line (potential league leader in rushing td's)
Put up numbers with Rogers out, will likely get less touches but his YPC should increase

Con's

College injury history
only 1 yr of production
reminiscent of Trent Richardson last yr

Any help would be appreciated

ManBunts

Reaction score
Do you have, or foresee, dynasty players? If so, then Lacy and this discussion is done. If not, it's still Lacy, but for these reasons:

-Forte is getting old and not without his own bumps and bruises.
-Forte gets a lot of his yards of catches in addition to runs. Not bad at all, but with Jefferies and Marshall, and now potentially Holmes to compete with, that will only eat up those passes.
-Lacy's college injuries were addressed with off season surgery. Since he came back from the cheap shot concussion he received, the guy has been dynamite.
-Cutler is not slouch, and their WR core is awesome, but I trust Rodgers more to get Lacy into scoring position.
-I will say, against Lacy, is that he has a more talented backup in Starks, than whoever is behind Forte right now. I don't see him losing carries, but if/when Starks comes in, it's possible he tears off a big run and suddenly the offense is off the field.
-The Packers D still sucks. Bears D isn't so much better, but it's better. Thus, I see the Packers offense on the field much more

I also like Lacy as person. The guy's story is pretty cool, been through a lot, so if you're completely tied on the stats, maybe go for the cool story?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC9qwgW5QTw

kearly

Reaction score
Forte is the easy choice.

Why? Just reflect on the reason why Eddie Lacy fell to the 61st pick. He was the unanimous top RB in the 2013 draft yet 3 other backs were taken ahead of him. In terms of talent, Lacy was a surefire 1st rounder. So why the drop? Why did Green Bay trade down and then only reluctantly draft him? Injuries.

Granted, Lacy has generally played through pain, but throughout his career he's constantly appearing on injury reports (hamstrings, etc). There's also a widely held belief that the toe Lacy had surgery on a while back will only last so long before it gives out and when it does Lacy will be done.

And this is for a high workload RB with a very physical style of play.

I think Lacy is a stud and if he plays 16 games he'll be a top 5 RB. But I think the injury risk and the potential for a sophomore slump make him one of the riskiest picks in the draft. Teams that win fantasy championships almost always hit on their first two picks.

You can take Lacy, but just know that his risk is high. If you have Lacy, I would avoid any other risky RBs until you get to like your 5th or 6th RB, and if I were to draft Lacy I would make sure to have a "money in the bank" 3rd RB, a guy like say Frank Gore, Joique Bell or maybe Reshad Jennings. Someone that can help soften the blow if Lacy gets hurt.

Meanwhile, Forte had more points than Lacy did last year and it wasn't close (251 vs. 198).

It stands to reason that Chicago's offense will be even better in 2014. Jay Cutler has looked sensational this summer and the Bears O-line is quickly becoming one of the better groups in the league. Chicago is a sleeper candidate to finish as the NFC's top offense.

Forte is old by RB standards, but hasn't slowed down and because he missed the playoffs last year, his rushing numbers were kept to a moderate number so I'm not expecting him to be "tired" this year due to a high workload in 2013. He's only gone over 300 carries once ever, as a rookie in 2008. Even though he's 29, he only has 1553 career carries (259 per season). Last year he stayed under 300 carries and added 74 catches, which to me is an ideal ratio. The reason for Forte's skyrocketing fantasy value was that his reception totals basically doubled in Trestman's offense.

Forte has only missed 4 out of 96 NFL games.

My only knock on Forte is that he's not the greatest RB for racking up TDs. Last year he had 12 total TDs which is well above his career average of 7.8. He will probably decline some in the TD department this year, but I still expect him to be a stone cold lock for the top 5 RB group.

I think Forte has a good chance to beat out a healthy Lacy, and Lacy's health is much more of a question mark. But mostly, I would draft Forte because he wouldn't stress me out, he's money in the bank. And he wouldn't force me to draft a #2 caliber RB as my #3 guy in round 5 like Lacy would.

I like Lacy a lot and would happily draft him 5th, but I would much rather pick one spot sooner and get Forte.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Forte, absolutely no question.

Lacy will be good, Forte will be better.

kearly

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":1nuygbq3 said:
Lynch before either of those guys.

I LOVE how all the fantasy experts are doomsaying Lynch this year. ADP of 10.1. Potential 2nd round pick. Love it.

ManBunts

Reaction score
kearly":16u01rfe said:
SacHawk2.0":16u01rfe said:
Lynch before either of those guys.

I LOVE how all the fantasy experts are doomsaying Lynch this year. ADP of 10.1. Potential 2nd round pick. Love it.

Agree. Hilarious even, but I wholly encourage it. If I can grab Forte or Lacie in the first round and Lynch in the second, oh how amazing that would be. Then you use your next two to grab some stud WRs, or potentially Jimmy and a WR if he's around. Unstoppable team

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The problem with Lynch and being in Seattle is no one's going to fall asleep on him here :/. Our draft is the final Sunday before the season and I expect him to go 1-3.

kearly

Reaction score
If it's nothing but Seattleites in your draft then Lynch will be a high pick no doubt. If I was in a draft like that I'd take advantage of Hawk fan bias and look to get steals on players like Stacy, Crabtree, and Tate.

Aside from Lynch, the one top pick player that I think could be a bargain is Matt Forte. Of the top 5 studs, he seems to be falling to the 6 or 7 range the most often.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
I think this is a tougher call than everyone else thinks cause Lacy could be #1 in fantasy or flop big time. Forte is an injury risk, he has a ton of carries over the last few seasons but I'd still go Forte given the choice.

ManBunts

Reaction score
kearly":2rz1axnv said:
If it's nothing but Seattleites in your draft then Lynch will be a high pick no doubt. If I was in a draft like that I'd take advantage of Hawk fan bias and look to get steals on players like Stacy, Crabtree, and Tate.

Aside from Lynch, the one top pick player that I think could be a bargain is Matt Forte. Of the top 5 studs, he seems to be falling to the 6 or 7 range the most often.

Wow have you really seen him drop that far? All my drafts (mocks and real) I don't think I've ever seen him fall out of the top 5. Who would kick him out? AP, McCoy, Charles are an obvious top 3, but, even if Lacy was taken 4, I can't imagine who'd be worth skipping Forte to pick. Calvin? Jimmy!?

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Forte, no doubt. Lacy will see less carries this year than last year if Rodgers stays healthy.

Forte, imo, is a better runner and pass catcher.