Keeper advice

SeatownJay

Reaction score
This is my fourth year in this keeper league. We can keep up to 3 players. It's an Auction league so the keeper costs are deducted from our $200 draft budget. Here are my options.

QB
Matt Ryan - $32
Andy Dalton - $8

RB
Marshawn Lynch - $33
Lamar Miller - $19
Ryan Mathews -$9
Zac Stacy - $3

WR
Damaryius Thomas - $53
Danny Amendola - $23
Antonio Brown - $19
DeSean Jackson - $16

TE
Jermichael Finley - $8
Jordan Cameron - $4
Coby Fleener - $3

Right now I'm leaning toward Stacy, Brown & Cameron, although Lynch & Jackson are also in the mix.

Birdfinger

Reaction score
Stacy and Brown definitely. Fantastic bargains. Cameron you may be able to get for close to $4 anyway so I may not use a keeper spot on him.

Who your 3rd keeper is may depend on your strategy. I kinda like Thomas at $53. One of, if not the, top recievers in the draft this year at a really good price.

Lynch at $33 is good too. He's fallen a bit due to the Christine Michael hype and rbbc rumors but I'm not buying it. Lynch will eat this season. You could have 2 bell cow type rbs for 36 bucks! Pretty cool!

Personally, I like strong receiving groups. I'd go Thomas, Brown, Stacy.

Good luck!

ManBunts

Reaction score
Okay, my initial thought was Stacy, Brown and Cameron also. That's definitely the most cost effective choice and I don't think it would do you wrong and you'd have a good player at 3 spots. Leaves you more cash to play with down the road.

However, I'm suddenly thinking Stacy, Brown and Thomas is another option. It's spendier. $53 is high for Thomas, but probably not much more than what you might pay this year if you get him. I've seen him go #1 WR off the boards and I can't find myself arguing against that. Brown and Stacy are such a steal that I think over the three you still have a major discount. And you suddenly have yourself two stud WRs and a solid RB. You can then focus that extra cash on one more stud RB and then shop the bargain bin for the rest.

With all the drama surrounding Lynch (unnecessarily in my opinion, but still it's there) you might be able to get him cheaper than $33.

I forbid you from ever paying that much for Matt Ryan or Amendola again. Ever.

kearly

Reaction score
I'm shocked Stacy is going for so little. Cameron is a good value. Brown and Lynch are solid value relative to the rest.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
ManBunts":1w0hqw0q said:
kearly":1w0hqw0q said:
I'm shocked Stacy is going for so little.

Perhaps I should explain how our keeper rules work. It's an auction league so keeper costs are based of what you paid for the player the year before. The more years you keep a player, the higher his cost, +$3 the first year, +$5 the second, +$10 the third and beyond. I've been in this league since 2010 so this is my fifth season. I drafted Matt Ryan ($14) and Marshawn Lynch ($15) in 2011. Their keeper costs for 2012 were $17 & $18 respectively. Danny Amendola was a FA pickup in 2012 for $15. Ryan, Lynch & Amendola were my keepers in 2013 at $22, $23, & $18 respectively. I picked up Zac Stacy as a free FA pickup last season, that's why his keeper cost for me is only $3 this year.

ManBunts

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1tmgm0ij said:
ManBunts":1tmgm0ij said:
kearly":1tmgm0ij said:
I'm shocked Stacy is going for so little.

Perhaps I should explain how our keeper rules work. It's an auction league so keeper costs are based of what you paid for the player the year before. The more years you keep a player, the higher his cost, +$3 the first year, +$5 the second, +$10 the third and beyond. I've been in this league since 2010 so this is my fifth season. I drafted Matt Ryan ($14) and Marshawn Lynch ($15) in 2011. Their keeper costs for 2012 were $17 & $18 respectively. Danny Amendola was a FA pickup in 2012 for $15. Ryan, Lynch & Amendola were my keepers in 2013 at $22, $23, & $18 respectively. I picked up Zac Stacy as a free FA pickup last season, that's why his keeper cost for me is only $3 this year.

Ahhhh, now it all come together. In that case, thinking of the future, I think you go Stacy, Brown and Cameron.

Brown might not be worth it in two or three years once Wheaton and Bell come to fruition and eat into his workload, but Stacy and Cameron, barring injuries, have no competition (yes, I remember Tre Mason is there) and a ton of talent. And with a $3/year increase, you could feasibly own Stacy his entire career at a bargain. Cameron is a TE, so his value will max out quicker, but as the lone target right now (probably the whole season), and even WITH Gordon back, I think he'll be a bargain for another 2-3 years. And with three key roster positions filled, you can take some budget gambles on rookies for future keepers.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
I agree with keeping Stacy, Brown, Cameron

That gives you the largest possible cap space to work with while locking in talent well undervalue.

You might be able to get DT again at or under that price, same with a few of the other guys.

You absolutely have to keep Stacy since you theoretically have him locked in at undervalue for his most productive years.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Our draft is Tuesday night and keepers are due by midnight tonight. I've decided to go with Stacy, Brown & Cameron. The league is dropping from 12 to 10 teams this year so I should be able to afford another top-10 RB.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So we just finished our auction draft. Here's the team I ended up with.

QB
Matt Ryan, $8
Russell Wilson, $6

RB
Zac Stacy, $3 (keeper)
Reggie Bush, $36
C.J. Spiller, $20
Lamar Miller, $2

WR
Antonio Brown, $19 (keeper)
Calvin Johnson, $52
Larry Fitzgerald, $23
Julian Edelman, $16
Marques Colston, $8

TE
Jordan Cameron, $4 (keeper)
Charles Clay, $1

PK
Steven Hauschka, $1

DST
St. Louis Rams, $1

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
You got hosed on Reggie. I wouldn't have shelled out nearly that much for him. Overall not a terrible team though.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1ibim8di said:
You got hosed on Reggie. I wouldn't have shelled out nearly that much for him. Overall not a terrible team though.
Yeah, if I had a do-over I probably would've kept Lynch instead of Cameron. My RBs overall are kind of weak but I'm loaded at WR so I'm hoping to swing a trade early in the season.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
SeatownJay":g04iezbg said:
So we just finished our auction draft. Here's the team I ended up with.

QB
Matt Ryan, $8
Russell Wilson, $6

RB
Zac Stacy, $3 (keeper)
Reggie Bush, $36
C.J. Spiller, $20
Lamar Miller, $2

WR
Antonio Brown, $19 (keeper)
Calvin Johnson, $52
Larry Fitzgerald, $23
Julian Edelman, $16
Marques Colston, $8

TE
Jordan Cameron, $4 (keeper)
Charles Clay, $1

PK
Steven Hauschka, $1

DST
St. Louis Rams, $1
After winning the league last year, my team crashed hard this year to the bottom. Two of my keepers failed to pan out and all my RBs sucked. I ended up dropping Jordan Cameron outright when Antonio Gates became available and I traded Stacy for Doug Martin. I did pick up Montee Ball, Tre Mason and Bishop Sankey for $0 off waivers, though, so I have choices for cheap keepers for next year. All told, only seven of my original players are still on my team at the end (Wilson, Ryan, Bush, Johnson, Brown, Edelman, Colston).

ManBunts

Reaction score
Crazy. I remember seeing this thread at the beginning of the season and being crazy jealous you got Stacy so cheap. That said, Mason has promise. It's almost worth keeping him just to cover a RB slot, Hauschka so you don't to worry about a kicker, and Brown.

Latest posts