First Fantasy Draft

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Never really been into FF much, but some guys at my work were doing a league so I figured I'd give it a shot. It's a 10 team league, 1QB/2RB/2WR/flex/K/Def. I drafted 9th.

Here's what I ended up with:

1) Montee Ball
2) Dez Bryant
3) Vincent Jackson (in hindsight this was a reach. I regretted it immediately after putting the pick in.)
4) Keenan Allen
5) Toby Gerhart
6) Shane Vereen
7) Percy Harvin
8) Russell Wilson
9) Kyle Rudolph
10) Philip Rivers
11) Chris Ivory
12) Deandre Hopkins
13) Lance Dunbar (trying to decide if I wanna swap him for devanta freeman who is on the waiver wire)
14) Nick Novak
15) Jets D (I playing matchups, took the jets cause they have Oakland at home week 1)

So my team looks like:

QB:
Russell Wilson
Philip Rivers

RB:
Montee Ball
Toby Gerhart
Shane Vereen
Chris Ivory
Lance Dunbar

WR:
Dez Bryant
Vincent Jackson
Keenan Allen
Percy Harvin
Deandre Hopkins

TE:
Kyle Rudolph

K:
Nick Novak

Def:
Jets

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't really trust my running backs outside of Ball, thinking about dangling Vincent Jackson and see if I can trade for someone more reliable.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I actually think your RB depth is fine. Really like Vereen this year. In a 10 man league just wait for the inevitable undrafted sensation and grab the RB off the waiver wire.

Timmahawk

Reaction score
Vjax was a slight reach, but I think Gerhart was a good value pick since he should be their #1. I would have preferred a RB in the 3rd rd and a WR in the 6th. It looks like you don't have to start a TE? I still like Rudolph's upside if that's the case.

I think Ball is a great pick, I'm just a bit worried how he is going to start the year.

Maybe try to dump off Rivers if he is doing as good as last year after the Hawks bye week. You don't necessarily need an immediate upgrade at RB, maybe let the first few weeks play out then use your WR/QB depth to make a play as well as work the waiver wire. I don't think Dunbar is going to get picked up in a 10 team league unless Murray goes down (he's available in every league I'm in including a dynasty league), so I would drop him for Freeman since I'm not a fan of SJax.

kearly

Reaction score
Solid 'A' grade from me.

Russell Wilson is set to be a fantasy breakout this year. There's only one problem, he has big home/road splits. That means that it's probably a good idea to platoon Wilson with another QB during his road games. It just so happens that the three QBs with the most favorable matchups during Wilson's road games are Big Ben, Jake Locker, and Philip Rivers (heard that on CBS podcast). Rivers was 4th in fantasy among QBs last season.

A Rivers/Wilson duo is probably the best late round QB platoon possible this year, so I have to give you major props for that. Sure, they'll take up two roster spots all year, but play those QBs in their home games and they'll give you super-high end production at QB for a late round price.

Jackson is a reach but you know that.

Vereen is probably a reach. Even if the rumors are true and the Pats ditch Ridley, I just can't see Vereen as anything more than a Danny Woodhead type player. I think it's a good pick, I just would have liked it more in the 7th or 8th.

Really surprised you got Harvin in the 7th and Hopkins in the 12th.

Ivory and Dunbar are textbook late-round RB gambles. I'm fine with taking Dunbar over Freeman. If Jackson goes down, I suspect the Falcons would go to RB by committee, and remember, their run game sucked even before they lost their left tackle.

I think Keenan Allen probably repeats last year's numbers. Under-rated.

I think Gerhart is going to see so many carries that he's going to be a lock for 8+ TDs. I think he's a lot safer of a pick than people make him out to be.

Ball and Bryant are a great start.

My only real criticism is that in a flex league you have to make sure you have at least three starter worthy RBs, and right now you are unlikely to have more than two. If you had drafted a guy like Alfred Morris or Giovanni Bernard instead of V-Jax this team looks a lot better.

OP
OP
Trrrroy

Trrrroy

Reaction score
Yep, I really should have gone RB over Jackson, and I knew it. I was stewing over it the entire drive home. Timmahawk, we do start TEs, I just miss-wrote.