Yahoo gave this FF draft a C-, what do you think?

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Personally I'm happy with my draft...

First time doing a PPR. I went in with the strategy of getting RB/TE and hopefully picking up WR/QB later. We also do Defensive players.

QB: Russell Wilson
WR1: Jordy Nelson
WR2: Percy Harvin
WR3: Golden Tate
RB1: Adrian Peterson
RB2: Reggie Bush
TE: Julius Thomas
W/R/T: Frank Gore

K: Blair Walsh

Def: Houston

D: A.J. Hawk
DB: Kam Chancellor
DL: Cliff Avril

BN: Cody Latimer
BN: Zach Ertz
BN: Martellus Bennett
BN: Phillip Rivers
BN: Robert Woods
BN: Jeremy Hill

Sac

Reaction score
I'd really like your draft in a standard league, but I can see why you got a C in a ppr.

kearly

Reaction score
Yahoo gave you a C minus? Congrats on winning your league.

Yahoo's draft grade system is deeply flawed. They gave my 2013 draft a similar grade, and I finished the year #1 in scoring. In fact, I went back after the year and compared their draft grades to how the final standings turned out, and the five lowest draft graded teams finished in the top 5 in scoring by the end of the year and the five teams with the highest draft grades were in the bottom five for scoring.

Of course, there's a lot of stuff that goes into a fantasy season that a draft grade can't capture (waivers, etc), but still, their draft grades were almost perfectly wrong.

The best part is that the version I used had a computer generated critique of my draft that was both impressively convincing as a real writeup and also dripping with backhanded insults and smug snarkiness. That year I led off with Calvin Johnson and Drew Brees, and the writeup said something along the lines of "Most fantasy drafters lead off with RB-RB, but you were one of very few to avoid going RB with either of your first two picks. Obviously, you must know something they don't." I forget how they worded it exactly, but it was unambiguously dickish and that was among the kinder things the writeup said. Which was kind of hilarious, if you are going to have an algorithm be a draft critic you might as well make the robo-critic a total dick. Which just made it that much sweeter when said team dominated in a very competitive fantasy league in 2013.

OP
OP
Yxes1122

Yxes1122

Reaction score
kearly":3hu46aej said:
Yahoo gave you a C minus? Congrats on winning your league.

Yahoo's draft grade system is deeply flawed. They gave my 2013 draft a similar grade, and I finished the year #1 in scoring. In fact, I went back after the year and compared their draft grades to how the final standings turned out, and the five lowest draft graded teams finished in the top 5 in scoring by the end of the year and the five teams with the highest draft grades were in the bottom five for scoring.

Of course, there's a lot of stuff that goes into a fantasy season that a draft grade can't capture (waivers, etc), but still, their draft grades were almost perfectly wrong.

The best part is that the version I used had a computer generated critique of my draft that was both impressively convincing as a real writeup and also dripping with backhanded insults and smug snarkiness. That year I led off with Calvin Johnson and Drew Brees, and the writeup said something along the lines of "Most fantasy drafters lead off with RB-RB, but you were one of very few to avoid going RB with either of your first two picks. Obviously, you must know something they don't." I forget how they worded it exactly, but it was unambiguously dickish and that was among the kinder things the writeup said. Which was kind of hilarious, if you are going to have an algorithm be a draft critic you might as well make the robo-critic a total dick. Which just made it that much sweeter when said team dominated in a very competitive fantasy league in 2013.

It's funny that you mention the snarkiness... The first line of my grade was "What's important Sherman Moment, is that you have fun, regardless of the final score. Like that quote from Vince Lombardi, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing." Oh wait no, that's not the right quote for this."

It gave my Brother in Law a B+ and he drafted Luck and Dalton in Rnd 2 and 3 :34853_doh:

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Hmm...

Tough team to grade. My personal opinion is that RW will continue to be an average fantasy performer (but efficient), Bush will lose significant carries in the new offense and Gore will share significant carries with his new backfield mate (Hyde).

Harvin is a great boom/bust PPR player (and general fantasy guy), Jordy is also good for 6 targets. Interested to see how Tate performs. You'd like to think the DET #2 is going to get looks, but Stafford likes to force it to Megatron a lot. If Stafford can look short, GT should have a big year.

It'll be interesting to watch AP, but he's a safe bet for a solid year and I of course like Thomas.

I would have given a solid B, but I have no idea how they ran kthem.

OP
OP
Yxes1122

Yxes1122

Reaction score
SonicHawk":1g50b1oy said:
Hmm...

Tough team to grade. My personal opinion is that RW will continue to be an average fantasy performer (but efficient), Bush will lose significant carries in the new offense and Gore will share significant carries with his new backfield mate (Hyde).

Harvin is a great boom/bust PPR player (and general fantasy guy), Jordy is also good for 6 targets. Interested to see how Tate performs. You'd like to think the DET #2 is going to get looks, but Stafford likes to force it to Megatron a lot. If Stafford can look short, GT should have a big year.

It'll be interesting to watch AP, but he's a safe bet for a solid year and I of course like Thomas.

I would have given a solid B, but I have no idea how they ran kthem.

My thinking:

Harvin will be force fed the ball early in the year which will make him worth it. If he starts to see less action late in the year or gets hurt, I truly believe Latimer will be a good replacement. Especially now with Welker suspended.

I agree that Gore will see less carries but I think he's a significantly better power runner than Hyde, which mean he's the guy they'll put in on goal lines. I'm not expecting huge numbers but he's a good third back.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I really like it. It's a strong team though you rostered 2 backup TEs which I'm not a fan of. But you're starters are good and it looks like a guaranteed playoff team. Yahoo grades blow. The team in the league that I started the thread about in this forum was given a B, while the one team that was autopicked naturally received an A+ even though it rostered 2 K's and 2 D's and is really weak outside of 2 or 3 players.

The one thing I really do enjoy about Yahoo leagues are the articles about the matchups with all of the statistics and "what-ifs".

DYLcurry59

Reaction score
kearly":ijioo5ov said:
Yahoo's draft grade system is deeply flawed.

Yeah, they downgraded my draft because I took Brandin Cooks too early (in the 6th round), which I'm sure was purely based on his being a rookie and having no stats from last year.

Latest posts