.NET Q&A with Edgar Hansen of Deadliest Catch

RockHawk

Reaction score
Edgar Hansen, star of the hit show Deadliest Catch, graciously answered questions from fellow 12's in the .NET Q&A! Edgar is the Deckboss and Relief Captain of the Northwestern, a fishing vessel based out of Ballard Washington. But more importantly, he's a diehard Seahawks fan! Enjoy the Q&A, and be sure to learn more at the end of this post.

Northwestern edgar hansen crew

McG Asks: How big of football/Seahawk fans are you and the guys, do you ever plan off-loads around the football schedule? (I've seen the episodes were you guys are going crazy over the Superbowl). Thanks!
Edgar - In the past there have been boats in the fleet that cut their trip short to watch the game, but we have never done that. We have had the option, but choose to finish our trip since the boat comes first! But yes, the day of the Superbowl was one of the best day fishing ever! Go Hawks!

Loafoftatupu asks: My old roommate used to be a crabber and he talked about seeing multiple sunrises without sleep. Do you guys ever get a period where you can catch up on sleep? As the "engineer" and deck boss do you get less than the rest of the crew? How do you guys function with so little of it?
Edgar - The only time we can catch up on sleep is when we are on our way in to off load. Engineers have extra responsibilities, during sleep time, they have to check engine room, change oil etc. You turn into a zombie and you are just going through the motions, just like a robot. But there is a light at the end of the tunnel, you are eventually going into port, when the boat is full.

Hawkfan509 asks: Edgar. Could you please do us all a favor, and blast that Punk Elliot in the grill if the opportunity presents itself?
Edgar - No, Elliot doesn't need a punch in the face, he needs a hug!

Drcool asks: How many days a year are you actually out on the boat between all the different crab and fishing seasons?
Edgar - The boat is typically busy 7 months out of the year, plus we have 1 to 1 1/2 months of shipyard work.

PlinytheCenter asks: Love the show Edgar; despite the occasional (and inevitable) arguments, your ship seems to be the tightest run and most successful year to year. Doing this kind of work you have to be an adrenaline junky to some extent. When you retire, what do you see yourself doing? What would measure up to the grind and satisfaction of doing such a hard and dangerous job?
Edgar - Right now between fishing seasons. I am busy remodeling and renovating my rental houses. I am doing a crazy job now so I don't have to work hard later. After fishing I can see myself continuing remodeling houses, it is my "happy place"!

Grizbob asks: So how many championships do you see the Hawks winning before you have to retire from crabbing? (I'm guessing more than 2)
Edgar - Hopefully I don't have to see another win before I retire. "Which will be next year"! But I don't see retiring that soon ... Go Hawks!!

DynoHawk asks: Exactly how nerve racking was it to have your niece one the boat for crab season and how long was she there?
Edgar - It was a little nerve wracking having her on the boat, being family and a young girl, but we knew she was in good hands! She was there for 2 full trips, roughly 3 weeks, and she did a kick ass job!

Edgar - Thank you for taking the time to send in the questions, thanks for watching the show and being Northwestern and Hawks fans! Go Hawks!!
Edgar-Hansen-Matt-Bradley-Northwestern-Seattle-Seahawks.jpg

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you to Edgar for his time, and be sure to visit their website http://www.fvnorthwestern.com and support them by purchasing some sweet FVNorthwestern swag to wear,
Edgar hansen tshirt
Or you can try out their excellent coffee, Northwestern Grind!
http://www.northwesterngrind.com/
I highly recommend it to you coffee lovers out there!

.NET would like to thank Lucy Nicandri for her assistance in coordinating this. If you would like to book Edgar Hansen (or any of the other crew members) for an appearance or upcoming event, you can do so here: http://fvnorthwestern.com/contact/nwao/

QUILCENE

Reaction score
I've known Edgar since he was a young man- I'm 58- and run a boat in the same fleet that the Northwestern is in- I knew his dad- I have much love and respect for the Hansen family- so, this TV show has evolved from a "reality" show, to a "drama" show- it is now causing serious financial harm to the rest of the crab fleet-

The crab is now issued like stock- you have so many units- so the vessels who were issued with an amount of units that were borderline profitable, they lease these to other boats in the fleet- they actually make more money keeping their boats tied to the dock, then if they took them out and fished them- the lease rates for these kind of stocks are 65% to the guy leasing the stock out, and 35% to the guy who fishes the stock, for King Crab- and with Snow Crab, it is 50/50-

BUT- here is the problem- there are several boats who are on the TV show- and they cut other vessels throats trying to lease the same quota= and the vessels on the TV show, Wizard, Kodiak, Cornelia Marie, Saga, and others, they offer the owners of this stock anywhere from 80% to up to 100% of the money, just to get crab, for the filming of the show, knowing that the TV producers will make up any difference.

Greed in any business is common- but after 10 years of this "Reality Show" , it is now effecting families from the other 60 vessels that are involved in the crab fishery- so, most of us are waiting and praying for a quick end to this show.

This is not to mean any disrespect to any of the Hansens- who know me quite well- and they would confirm anything I've said here.

OP
OP
RockHawk

RockHawk

Reaction score
Thank you for the insider view Quilcene, and I'm sure you would agree that any push for profit's sake at the expense of other crabbers has nothing to do with the good folks like Edgar that own & work these vessels. It's an interesting issue though, and I appreciate you bringing your perspective on it.