Unger and Breno out...

pehawk

Reaction score
At least that's the tweet which came across. Oh well, next man up.

No offense, but I'm not going to whine about the OL like everyone else. Unless you have Walter, or Hutch, Oline's usually specialize in run-blocking or pass-protection. The Hawks isn't the latter. And their philosophy and QB mean their pass protection will always look worse than it is.

I'm pretty stoked to see Bowie.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not freaking out about this despite my checkered past with o-line threads.

We have a scrambling QB and a top 3 RB. Just go get it done, fellas.

davidonmi

Reaction score
Well this is pretty bad, but if anyone can do it it's cable

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I don't think it's whining to say that if this is true that is a huge blow. To have 3 of our 5 starters out, and the only two that are playing are a guy who has been injured since he was drafted, and sweezy who is penalty-prone and still developing is sorta huge. Is it really 'whining' to think that this is sort of a big deal?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hoping that Lemuel and Bowie can step up this week. I think they'll be serviceable at the very minimum. Wilson needs to get the ball out faster because the long developing plays aren't going to be there on Sunday.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree, you live and die by your line. unless we have some talented back ups were going to lose games we otherwise should win.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2fzz3qoc said:
I don't think it's whining to say that if this is true that is a huge blow. To have 3 of our 5 starters out, and the only two that are playing are a guy who has been injured since he was drafted, and sweezy who is penalty-prone and still developing is sorta huge. Is it really 'whining' to think that this is sort of a big deal?

Personally I think it is pretty delusional to act like this isn't a big deal. The only saving grace is that the O line wasn't looking great even before the injuries and we still won games

OP
OP
P

pehawk

Reaction score
Wilson will never get the ball out quickly. Just not his game to drop 3 and throw a slant.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Hopefully we've been preparing all week to get wilson out of the pocket more. Because there is not going to be a pocket. No offense to the 'next man up!' guys, that is great when you're patching a hole. not great when you're patching your whole line and you rely on a running game to establish yourself.

NYCoug

Reaction score
I've been impressed with Lemuel whenever he's gotten a chance to play. I was at the Giants game in Jersey a few years back when he came in for Unger and I remember walking away being pretty impressed with how well he held his own. I definitely he can do the job for a game or two, if need be. Hopefully they are being cautious with Unger and want to give him the week off in order to get him closer to "100%."

Also, I think we can survive without Breno. It's a contract year for him and it gives the Hawks a chance to see what they have in Bowie/Bailey. I share pe's enthusiasm in getting a chance to see Bowie play when it matters, when a solid performance is needed.

Let's see who steps up and who steps back before we just assume that this is going to end tragically. I'm thinking this might cause Pete and Bevell to try and make this game a slugfest kind of like the Panthers game was. Get some inspired play from the defense, let them know that they've got to come up huge this week, and then just keep it close to the vest on offense, lull em to sleep and try and hit em with something over the top every now and again.

Should be fun to see how it goes down! I'm not worried!

12thManNorth

Reaction score
Good news is that our D is so good (and healthy) that we should only need 14 pts to win the game. I think with all of our weapons still available on offence we should still be able to scratch out enough points to pickup the W

Dtowers

Reaction score
Expect a lot of running with that line up. Play action all day.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We need to run, run, RUN the ball. I can live with an L, but I don't want to see RW get blown up and hurt behind this line. Run it all game long as far as I'm concerned.

drdiags

Reaction score
Yeah, its whining if you try to use it to justify a loss.

Players get hurt and nothing you can do about it. Just figure out a way to do it like other teams have had to do. Until robots replace humans in this game, this happens. Sucks since you cannot put out your best but that is why those who chirp when the team has no injuries like it is some fantastic training regime could be fooling themselves.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
NYCoug":8z6l64jw said:
Should be fun to see how it goes down! I'm not worried!

Wish i could say the same. I was worried when okung went down but figured we'd get by. I was concerned that Breno might not play but held out hope he would. Now Unger being out - puts me aboard the worry train.

We're going to struggle to run the ball with that many starters out, and I'm especially concerned that we're going to end up giving away 100 yards in holding penalties.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very confident in these coaches and the team, but this is a bad situation for them to be in.

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=577&a=9961927&p=&n=[/urltargetblank]

According to Pete on the radio, it seems a longshot for them to play, but he hasn't declared them out yet. Said we won't know for sure until practice today.

I think anyone who isn't worried about being out both starting tackles and your center for a game against a solid defense on the road is crazy. I am beginning to believe in the next man up mantra, but there are only so many "next men" who can hold their own. The only saving grace is we are able to game plan for this instead of having it happen during the game.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Russell will be running for his life!!! I fear to death that he could get hurt. Crap! This really sucks!!!