Fake fans

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Fake fans
Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:52 am
  • I am a Seahawk fan each and every day of the year..every year. My problem is this..My inlaws and extended family all climbed on the Hawks bandwagon as of this last week, and want to have SB parties..they insist i attend. I really have no interest in this at all, they cannot even name our starters. They are buying Seahawk gear and acting out the part, but I know they dont know chit..I just tell them that I am not sure what Im doing for the game. I plan on watching the game by myself, at my own house in front of my TV..I feel like a damn hermit and I think they percieve me as such..but I dont want them to eff up MY,OUR day...anybody feel me? GO HAWKS
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Fake fans
Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:54 am
  • BGHawk wrote:I am a Seahawk fan each and every day of the year..every year. My problem is this..My inlaws and extended family all climbed on the Hawks bandwagon as of this last week, and want to have SB parties..they insist i attend. I really have no interest in this at all, they cannot even name our starters. They are buying Seahawk gear and acting out the part, but I know they dont know chit..I just tell them that I am not sure what Im doing for the game. I plan on watching the game by myself, at my own house in front of my TV..I feel like a damn hermit and I think they percieve me as such..but I dont want them to eff up MY,OUR day...anybody feel me? GO HAWKS

Ah, they must be the ones that were in the Just Sports at the Vancouver Mall yesterday buying up Seahawks gear like they were Armageddon necessities.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:57 am
  • Hey, we Hawks fans can have broad shoulders and let anybody onto the bandwagon that wants to hop aboard. That's all cool. But you're right, it's definitely weird to be the one super-into-the-game passionate fan amongst a bunch of people who are just there to enjoy the occasion. They really don't understand the emotions you'll be going through, and really, it's not that fun to be around people who don't "get it" on the same level.

I turned down a couple invites for NFCCG parties because I didn't really want to show off the insane, kinda childish (think Ramsey from those Bud commercial) sports fan in me. And when Russell fumbled on that first play? Believe you me, I was happy there was nobody around to see me acting the fool...
    Q: “What is your thing?”
    A: “Lay back, kick back, mind my business, stay in my own lane.”
    VivaEfrenHerrera
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:03 pm
  • You know the type of fan you are OP, that's all that counts man.

These people you speak of are going to be "fake" fans of somebody. Mine as well be the Hawks as opposed to the Niners, Stealers, Cowboys et al.
    The more of these fans we have, the better the chances I get to watch the Hawks every week out in Utah.
    rjdriver
    NET Veteran

• VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:Hey, we Hawks fans can have broad shoulders and let anybody onto the bandwagon that wants to hop aboard. That's all cool. But you're right, it's definitely weird to be the one super-into-the-game passionate fan amongst a bunch of people who are just there to enjoy the occasion. They really don't understand the emotions you'll be going through, and really, it's not that fun to be around people who don't "get it" on the same level.

I turned down a couple invites for NFCCG parties because I didn't really want to show off the insane, kinda childish (think Ramsey from those Bud commercial) sports fan in me. And when Russell fumbled on that first play? Believe you me, I was happy there was nobody around to see me acting the fool...

I'm with you, I don't want to make anyone feel "bad" about rooting for or getting into the Seahawks. To late for this now, but my wife "thought the jersey's were pretty" before this season. And through Fantasy football, and a lot of jedi mind tricks turned her into a rabid no holds maniac on game day. Invite some of your more crazy buddies over for the game. Then convert the family next year. Then when we head to a second SB, you will be good to go.

(I also got tired of being the only crazed Hawks in the room on game day, but you can flip the script)
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

• I can be downright thuggish at times during the games and sometimes my emotions get the best of me, I DONT need bandwagon fan telling me " its alright ", or whatever. I would feel much better watching this thing alone..feeling exactly how I want through out the game. If we lose..I will not be nice to be around, and if we win I can celebrate right here on .net ..
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:07 pm
  • "Fake" fans provide a substantial financial incentive for a franchise to churn out a championship caliber team. "True" fans keep a franchise from selling and potentially relocating during its down years. The funny thing is regardless of whether we spend three hours before every game getting our incredible Hulk getup airbrushed on or whether we couldn't tell you who Doug Baldwin is or what position he plays, we're all just fans.
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:09 pm
  • That's how it begins for getting new fans Bro. It's about time! Go Hawks!!!
    socalhawker333
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:16 pm
  • Some of the new ones stick around. A few of my friends who didn't give a rip before SBXL were still around when Holmy imploded and for Mora and all of that.
    |~=[==~||~==]=~|
    ||Tfs LnD ] [ HAWKS||
    RIP BFS. He was kind of a douche, but he was our kind of a douche.
    ClumsyLurk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:18 pm
  • I have nothing against new hawk fans,..but It seems that they are trying to appease me somehow with this attention Im getting just because MY hawks are in the big game..or, they just want to be part of something I enjoy..idk. maybe I will go, and enjoy there food, watch the game and bite my tongue
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:20 pm
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    BGHawk wrote:I am a Seahawk fan each and every day of the year..every year. My problem is this..My inlaws and extended family all climbed on the Hawks bandwagon as of this last week, and want to have SB parties..they insist i attend. I really have no interest in this at all, they cannot even name our starters. They are buying Seahawk gear and acting out the part, but I know they dont know chit..I just tell them that I am not sure what Im doing for the game. I plan on watching the game by myself, at my own house in front of my TV..I feel like a damn hermit and I think they percieve me as such..but I dont want them to eff up MY,OUR day...anybody feel me? GO HAWKS

Ah, they must be the ones that were in the Just Sports at the Vancouver Mall yesterday buying up Seahawks gear like they were Armageddon necessities.

probably them..lol
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:23 pm
  • BGHawk wrote:I have nothing against new hawk fans,..but It seems that they are trying to appease me somehow with this attention Im getting just because MY hawks are in the big game..or, they just want to be part of something I enjoy..idk. maybe I will go, and enjoy there food, watch the game and bite my tongue

Or just go to show them how a Hawks Bad A.. gets down during a game!
    Shock2k
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:30 pm
  • I dont know about you all..but I pace during the game,I get up, get down,go outside for a few minutes ,eat , sometimes drink..ALOT, yell at the tv, hold my head and utter forth" I cant fuc*ing believe this ****", at times really happy and sometimes very pissed off.. well, Im sure all of you get the picture. Im not sure how all this would go down at somebody elses house..I would feel confined
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:32 pm
  • Part of the OP's post hit on something that has been bothering me, and I wonder if we are in the minority by a mile on it. I live in Florida, long story into why I fell for the hawks in 79, but I did. Anyway, all of my family and friends are going nuts telling me to have a party or watch the game with them,etc as they obviously know I am very excited.

Here's the thing, I have told them all that I plan to watch this alone in my home. They all think I am a weirdo and can't understand this. I will be a wreck before and during, and either distraught or crying tears of joy afterward. Not exactly in a social mind frame. Anyone else feel this way?
    WolfGrey
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:32 pm
  • Watch the game alone. As for fake fans? They are supporting the hawks so who cares?
    KARAVARUS
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:37 pm
  • VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:Hey, we Hawks fans can have broad shoulders and let anybody onto the bandwagon that wants to hop aboard. That's all cool. But you're right, it's definitely weird to be the one super-into-the-game passionate fan amongst a bunch of people who are just there to enjoy the occasion. They really don't understand the emotions you'll be going through, and really, it's not that fun to be around people who don't "get it" on the same level.

I'm the EXACT same. I'd rather be home where I know I will have enough beer and food and I can just enjoy the GAME. For bandwagon fans this is an event. For us......this is everything!

We other true fans and hermits are with you!
    "Home of the Greatest Defense on planet Earth."
    Gametime
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:47 pm
  • and another thing..during the game I am totally focused, watching exactly how our defense is setting up, trying to listen to audables..etc, and about that time we are 3rd and short it never fails, somebody will start in about there job, or how thier little dog died or something really stupid. I will try every poossible way to ignore them and try to focus..even crawling toward the tv while they are trying to tell me something..
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:53 pm
  • Gametime wrote:
    VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:Hey, we Hawks fans can have broad shoulders and let anybody onto the bandwagon that wants to hop aboard. That's all cool. But you're right, it's definitely weird to be the one super-into-the-game passionate fan amongst a bunch of people who are just there to enjoy the occasion. They really don't understand the emotions you'll be going through, and really, it's not that fun to be around people who don't "get it" on the same level.

I'm the EXACT same. I'd rather be home where I know I will have enough beer and food and I can just enjoy the GAME. For bandwagon fans this is an event. For us......this is everything!

We other true fans and hermits are with you!

yes..this is everything..gohawks.., I will seek out other serious Hawk fans to watch with, or watch alone
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran

• That is one of the by products of our team being elite. We "lose" them just a little bit to the general public. Ive had the same thought. Watching kids who weren't even born carry on like they've finally reached the promised land while many of us watched qb's like Mirer, Friez, Stouffer etc........

Ive never seen so much Hawk swag (even in 2005) in my life. It's cool, yet I ask myself the question:

How many of these people would be wearing Hawk gear if we weren't in the Superb Owl?
    Last edited by morgulon1 on Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran

• I don't mind bandwagon fans but I agree...I wouldn't go to their Super Bowl party.
    andyh64000
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:56 pm
  • Everyone has SuperBowl parties.

Every year.

Many of those people don't even follow the NFL, they just use it as an excuse to make appetizers and drink alcohol. It pretty much is an unofficial holiday now so I wouldn't be shocked by people having parties like this. They would have done the same thing if it was a Ravens Packers SB. The teams really don't matter.

That said, I think it is something you embrace. It is weird that people spend years complaining we never have the spotlight and then the moment people start giving our guys some shine, people start complaining about that too. Enjoy the fact that the players are earning the admiration. They worked hard for this.

As for being bandwagon fans? Most people I know like to have one or two people at the SB parties that are diehard fans of the team because then you get to enjoy their reactions throughout the game.

Frankly it is really weird to judge someone for liking a team because you liked them first. That is like 5th grade girl logic (trust me, I witnessed a feud like this with ours because one girl lied about finishing a book about cats first and it turned into some crazy playground feud involving 10 kids. I have come to the conclusion that girls can be weird) Just enjoy the ride.
    TwistedHusky
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:57 pm

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:00 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:they just use it as an excuse to make appetizers and drink alcohol.

You mean you're supposed to need an excuse?
    andyh64000
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:09 pm
  • Where I work, we get Seahawks clothing in pretty often, but the last couple of months, everything dried up. Great for sales, but now everyone is looking for something. What really cracked me up about the new "fans" is we got a bunch of NFC Champions stuff in, and I get asked at least 10 times a day if people can get a discount, cause the stuff says 2013. I just have to laugh.

Earlier today, I am wearing a sideline hoodie from 2009, and a customer asks me "wow that is a great sweatshirt, did you get that here?". I tell them yes, and they ask "do you have any more." I just looked at them and shook my head. I wanted to say I got it when Mora was our Coach, ever heard of him? I support my team, right, or wrong. Not just when they are in the Superb Owl, but even when they go 2-14, or 4-12, and 5-11.
    It's about damn time TEZ is in the HOF
    tacomahawk
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:10 pm
  • This is something I really don't understand. SBXL we were absolutely shit on and the only reason is because we didn't have the fan support to prevent it.

What happened in a regular season meaningless game against a team with an enormous fans base over one questionable call? Not bad call mind you just simply questionable.

Seeing Hawk nation take over the stadium in Arizona and being able to hear Hawks chants in away games has been amazing to me and when I see that I envision a fan base big enough and strong enough to prevent getting shafted because no one will notice type of attitudes. I also envision Hawks nation providing fan support at away games enough to tilt the field. Get our players amped up and cause false starts in other teams venues.

Don't take those you consider band wagon or new fans for granted. Every additional fan offers more support and breeds more fans. Embrace what we are building and support it because if it flourishes to it's potential great things can come from it.

Imagine what it would be like to have national broadcaster actually have a clue about what they are talking about or watching national shows that show more the 30 seconds of Hawk games before moving on to spend thirty minutes on the Jets or Tebow.

You know who you are and that won't change just because others are finally seeing what you have seen for a while. Be a good Hawk fan and help it grow.

Go Hawks.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 pm
  • TwistedHusky wrote:Everyone has SuperBowl parties.

Every year.

Many of those people don't even follow the NFL, they just use it as an excuse to make appetizers and drink alcohol. It pretty much is an unofficial holiday now so I wouldn't be shocked by people having parties like this. They would have done the same thing if it was a Ravens Packers SB. The teams really don't matter.

That said, I think it is something you embrace. It is weird that people spend years complaining we never have the spotlight and then the moment people start giving our guys some shine, people start complaining about that too. Enjoy the fact that the players are earning the admiration. They worked hard for this.

As for being bandwagon fans? Most people I know like to have one or two people at the SB parties that are diehard fans of the team because then you get to enjoy their reactions throughout the game.

Frankly it is really weird to judge someone for liking a team because you liked them first. That is like 5th grade girl logic (trust me, I witnessed a feud like this with ours because one girl lied about finishing a book about cats first and it turned into some crazy playground feud involving 10 kids. I have come to the conclusion that girls can be weird) Just enjoy the ride.

This...every year we have a SB party. This year, since our team is in it, there's even more of a reason to have one. I get way too into the games, but watching this game alone is out of the question for me. After all we've been through, I want to share this moment with the people that mean the most to me. Win or lose, at least we'll experience it together
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:23 pm
  • I say enjoy the game alone but don't be too hard on the family. Not everyone is a fanatic, 24 hrs/365 days a year football junkie. While we are going through withdrawals looking at Free agent lists and mock drafts, they will have a life. They kind of feel sorry for us.

I am wondering if I will be a little less possessed if we win the big one? Probably not and that is the joy/pain I choose.

My step-daughter flipped from a Bills fan to pulling hard for the Seahawks late in the season. I figured the team was doomed. Now her mom, a fair-weather, don't want to be around when the Seahawks are playing person has becpme a Sherman lover. I just bought her his jersey yesterday. I had to step away from them during the Saints game and the last 3 quarters of the 9ers game. I love my wife but she was dragging me down.

I may be a skeptic on this board but I do not want to hear anything negative while I am cussing out the TV (ha ha!).
    Last edited by drdiags on Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:23 pm
  • tacomahawk wrote:Earlier today, I am wearing a sideline hoodie from 2009, and a customer asks me "wow that is a great sweatshirt, did you get that here?". I tell them yes, and they ask "do you have any more." I just looked at them and shook my head. I wanted to say I got it when Mora was our Coach, ever heard of him? I support my team, right, or wrong. Not just when they are in the Superb Owl, but even when they go 2-14, or 4-12, and 5-11.

Completely this. I wear my hawks hat around texas, same as i do my mariners hats or jerseys, but now all of a sudden i notice more and more "fans" walking around claiming SEA. Its nice to see a fellow fan, but ive been wearing my heart on my sleeve since i was 5 and frankly i kind of feel like walking up to them and saying something along the lines of "Hey nice to meet you. Remember John Friesz?

I know its not fair, and hell, really the more the merrier.
    "Your Seattle Seahawks, 2013-14 World Champions"
    Adopt A Rookie 2014-15 - Kevin Pierre-Louis
    Adopt-A-Red-Shirt 2014-15 Christine Micheal
    Previously known as megamanflx1
    Seahawkscrazy
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:24 pm
  • BGHawk wrote:and another thing..during the game I am totally focused, watching exactly how our defense is setting up, trying to listen to audables..etc, and about that time we are 3rd and short it never fails, somebody will start in about there job, or how thier little dog died or something really stupid. I will try every poossible way to ignore them and try to focus..even crawling toward the tv while they are trying to tell me something..

THIS IS the reason I am staying home for the game. I was invited to a friends place and declined for this purpose alone. He will have a couple of smokers there too, but I HATE the interruptions that will happen. I went there for the Bowl 2 years ago and was looking for a tv to watch. He had 3 available and I could not see one of them due to the amount of people there. Last year was the same at another persons place. I was thinking about going to Baker Ore for it and watch at a brewpub I remember there (if it still is there)...but changed my mind. I am staying home and probably gonna open up a bottle. :)
    :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:
    Cats will rule the world...just ask my cat.
    Gollum had a ring...Bilbo took it...Frodo had it...Gollum got it back.
    Gollum never had OUR ring.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:49 pm
  • BGHawk wrote:I am a Seahawk fan each and every day of the year..every year. My problem is this..My inlaws and extended family all climbed on the Hawks bandwagon as of this last week, and want to have SB parties..they insist i attend. I really have no interest in this at all, they cannot even name our starters. They are buying Seahawk gear and acting out the part, but I know they dont know chit..I just tell them that I am not sure what Im doing for the game. I plan on watching the game by myself, at my own house in front of my TV..I feel like a damn hermit and I think they percieve me as such..but I dont want them to eff up MY,OUR day...anybody feel me? GO HAWKS

LMAO! Hey bro..it's actually a good problem to have. The more attention we receive the better the benefits across the board.

As for your hermit-like existence...I just had a birthday and on that birthday I made one commitment, a mantra, that I will live the rest of my life with...be true to thyself. I am happier already. Take care of those that love you, but as long as you are not neglecting them in a harmful way...do what makes you happy unless you believe this life is a stepping stone to the next. If you are like me, and believe this is it, live it your way and do so without reservation or apology.

IE: A couple friends pissed off that I failed to attend a particular party that was of no interest to me, later commented, "hey bro...pretty soon we may stop inviting you at all". My reply? "Now you're getting it". ; )
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:52 pm
  • It's all good plenty of room on the bandwagon I got zero problem with anyone jumping on .
    hawkfannj
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:53 pm
  • One of my friends I hadnt seen in years, and who was always a Cowboys fans moved back to town from Federal Way 3 weeks ago. I happened to run into him while I was with another buddy at a local pub. He was wearing Seahawks gear. This guy has removed his pictures on facebook wearing Cowpuke gear and is now involved in some serious facebook Seahawks groups..

SMH!!!!!

My sister and brother in law have been giving crap since I was a kid, im 36, for being a hawks fan and invited me to a superbowl party! LOL... ummmm.. nooooo

PS, they are now Seahawks fans...
    BlueBlood
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:20 pm
  • I love new fans! I love seeing gear and 12 signs everywhere I go, celebrate it! I have no problem with bandwagon fans at all. I know we won't be discussing defensive schemes in detail, but we can talk about how exciting it is. I'm a bandwagon Mariners fan. I'm good for a game or two every year, but when they're actually in contention I'll go to 20+.

That said, I'll be watching the game with the three guys that I attend games with. That's it. I don't want any distractions, I'm way too invested. Waited too long...
    Green13
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:23 pm
  • I hear what you're saying OP, I too don't want to be talked to or have to explain everything that happens in the game to the new converts. I just get to emotional and don't have the patience for it, add to that having the occasional bandwagon jumper try and tell me I'm not as big of a fan (yes that's happened). I'm all for new fans, I was one at one time, but in '91 there wasn't much of a crowd. I will be by myself enjoying the game like every weekend and not worrying about someone seeing my meltdowns and jumping and cheering. I won't have to worry about destroying my brothers tv remote again, or yelling at my sister in law to shut up. That's just the way some of us are "the hermit 12's"
    Vantucky Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:40 pm
  • Really don't buy into the "REAL FAN" nonsense. What's the point? "Fake" fans raise our profile, make a ton of money for the franchise and gin up a little respect in media; i.e., "yeah, there's a pretty good football team out here in the NW. It's not just the Steelers/Bears/Packers."

Who thinks being a "real" fan is paying dividends for them, and how? I believe Pete appreciates our support, and many of the players appreciate the noise, but if you think ANY of these guys are as invested in you as you are in them, or care that you're a "real" fan, give 'em a call and see if they want to hang out with you or share a dinner. They don't care about you now, and they won't when they move on to Indy or Tampa or wherever.

The only way so-called "fake" fans might bother me is if they were buying up seats at the Clink and sitting quietly while the other 12s are going bananas on 3rd down D.
    gulliver
    NET Practice Squad

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:43 pm
  • I use to feel the same way, but think of it this way, you and everyone else that is a fan now began cheering for the Hawks for a reason at some point right? This is their reason.
    Image Image
    AF_Hawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:52 pm
  • The larger the fanbase, the better options on Seahawks gear. I remember looking for years trying to get an Easley Authentic by the xxxx and Ness folks. They only offered Largent and Alexander high quality gear. You could look at other teams gear and the variety was much larger. If the money is there, the merchandise will be available. We all have our purposes.

I don't think this was a "real" fan debate, though maybe the title could be different. I thought the OP was just voicing a concern about how he was choosing to watch a game that could change the history of this franchise. Not sure it was a "looking down one's nose" type of post but maybe it could become that as the post starts to morph?
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:53 pm
  • gulliver wrote:Really don't buy into the "REAL FAN" nonsense. What's the point? "Fake" fans raise our profile, make a ton of money for the franchise and gin up a little respect in media; i.e., "yeah, there's a pretty good football team out here in the NW. It's not just the Steelers/Bears/Packers."

Who thinks being a "real" fan is paying dividends for them, and how? I believe Pete appreciates our support, and many of the players appreciate the noise, but if you think ANY of these guys are as invested in you as you are in them, or care that you're a "real" fan, give 'em a call and see if they want to hang out with you or share a dinner. They don't care about you now, and they won't when they move on to Indy or Tampa or wherever.

The only way so-called "fake" fans might bother me is if they were buying up seats at the Clink and sitting quietly while the other 12s are going bananas on 3rd down D.

Are you suggesting Russell Wilson won't necessarily be naming his kid Anthony?
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:55 pm
  • my child has more hawks stuff than i do but i did book my flight and hotel to NYC on jan 2... ;-)

some times people just need to cheer for the winning team because of all sorts of stuff going on in their lives and they want to be part of something positive. i can not fault them for the same.

everyone wins i think....
    YYZHawksFan
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:01 pm
  • I agree that it is strange to watch a crucial game with folks who can't feel what you're going through, and kind of annoying to be with "diehard" fans who don't even know the names of the players. I watched the NFCCG with poker buddies, two were Whiner fans and one was a fairly recent Hawk fan, but nobody understood it when I jumped up during Marshawn's long touchdown run and screamed "Beastmode!" I guess they were entertained. There is so much emotion in this game that I also think I'd rather be with true fans or be with my family. On the other hand, I'm happy to see the fan base grow.
    Last edited by godawg on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    godawg
    NET Starter

Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:44 pm
  • I don't mind bandwagon fans, I just hope they conduct themselves in a manner that doesn't give the die hard fans a bad name.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:48 pm
  • drdiags wrote:The larger the fanbase, the better options on Seahawks gear. I remember looking for years trying to get an Easley Authentic by the xxxx and Ness folks. They only offered Largent and Alexander high quality gear. You could look at other teams gear and the variety was much larger. If the money is there, the merchandise will be available. We all have our purposes.

I don't think this was a "real" fan debate, though maybe the title could be different. I thought the OP was just voicing a concern about how he was choosing to watch a game that could change the history of this franchise. Not sure it was a "looking down one's nose" type of post but maybe it could become that as the post starts to morph?

This..In no way do I think im a better fan, nor do I look down on them..Its just a different experience watching with knowledgable Seahawk fans vs..going to the inlaws house with fair weather fans and watching my Ps and Qs, and not feelin AS comfortable
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:48 pm
  • and yeah.. the post title could be different
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:49 pm
  • My problem is that everyone is going to a house that has a big movie screen. It's older technology the picture is kinda cloudy, and not high def. No one seems to mind except me. At this point I'm staying home by myself. What would you do?
    Nearpost
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:51 pm
  • yea..I like my TV,..I dont know what to expect over there..lol
    BGHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:59 pm
  • You have a duty, to train these young 12s in the ways of our world.
    GoHawks.
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:25 pm
  • BGHawk. Do whatever YOU want. Don't do it unless its good for YOU. Its OK to be a little bit selfish right now. I'm in the same frame of mind. I want to
    intensely watch the game, listen to every play and announcer's banter, and soak the whole thing in. Kinda hard to do when you're mingling in a big get-together.

I've been waiting for this moment for 29 years, and I don't want to miss out on one single bit. Probably hang with one or two Hawks buddies.
    My house, my big screen, my surround system.

Enjoy this game YOUR way. You earned it!
    "Our best practice of the year was during that week in New Jersey." -- Earl Thomas
    " You can't simulate how fast we play. You can't simulate this speed...this aggression." - Richard Sherman during SB XVIII
    jjinwa
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:39 pm
  • pmedic920 wrote:You have a duty, to train these young 12s in the ways of our world.
    GoHawks.

And you never know, they might be a hawks fan henceforth...
    YYZHawksFan
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:45 pm
  • I'm actually a "conflicted" fan. I've been a Broncos fan since 1970, but I moved to Seattle in 1987 and have been cheering for both teams ever since.

When Seattle was in the AFC West, I would cheer for Denver @ the Kingdom, but after re-alignment, my problems were -- seemingly -- solved.

Every year, I'd start the season saying: "Here's hoping for a Denver-Seattle Super Bowl!" And every year the dream would come crashing down.

They say: "Be careful what you wish for...you might just get it." Now I understand what that means. Until last year, I never, EVER thought both teams would make it to the Big Dance. There are just too many variables.

The Conference Championships last week were actually my *personal* Super Bowl. And both my teams won! I can't tell you how satisfying it was to see Brady go down in flames. And when KrapperDick's pass to Crabtree was tipped by Sherman (and caught by the rarely-mentioned Malcolm Smith) the party at my house erupted. Good times!

Here's hoping that Super Bowl 48 is close, competitive, and worthy of the "Super" moniker. I'm hoping for a 20-20 tie after regulation and some kind of spectacular play in overtime. "May the best man win!" BEST SUPER BOWL EVER!

I actually think Seattle has a good chance to win this game. In fact, the Seattle Seahawks of 2014 remind me a lot of the underdog Broncos of 1998 in Super Bowl 32 against Green Bay.

Hope this doesn't make me a "Fake Fan".
    Go Broncos! Go Seahawks!
    My personal "Super Bowl" was the Conference Championships.
    Armchair Bronco
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:21 pm
  • I'm the same way, I refuse to watch games with anybody else now. The only company I'd feel comfortable with during a game (especially one of this magnitude) is either my wife or my Dad because I'm a nervous wreck during games. During the NFC Championship Game I paced so much I broke a sweat and probably got in a pretty good cardio workout in the process. I can't be around anybody else when I watch a game, I scream, yell, shout, jump, cheer, swear to the point where to anybody else I'd look like a lunatic. I don't need to hear any sidebar comments about "it's only a game" or "at least it was close.." No! I can't hear that garbage, nobody understands how crushing a loss feels when it's this big of a game just like nobody could understand how joyous a win feels. I literally welled up last week after Malcolm's INT when I knew we'd made it to the Super Bowl. My wife and I were joking earlier this week when she asked if I was going to be the same during the game next week and I said I'd be worse.
    BC-Hawk
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information