Biggest threat to the Seahawks winning another Lombardi

Ramfan128

Reaction score
hawknation2015":2y69latq said:
Ramfan128":2y69latq said:
I think it's funny that Seahawk fans say they have the deepest roster in the NFL in a thread like this, but just bash the OL and WRs in threads defending Russell Wilson...which is it? Those active players make up typically 12 out of 48 spots - 25% of the roster.

Anyway, the Packers cannot play with Seattle. That was a bad loss by the Packers, but as one poster pointed out, Rodgers has NEVER had a good game against the Hawks. take him away (like the Hawks always do), and what does Green Bay have? A consistently below average defense and Lacy. That's not enough.

So firstly, I'd like to give some props to the best team in the NFL as of February - the Patriots. They lost some guys, but if Gronk stays healthy, they're always going to be a threat.

The Packers only real chance, even at home, is if someone gets into the playoffs that can actually beat the Seahawks. The Panthers won't be that team.

In the NFC, I'd say Dallas is the only team that can win in Seattle. The next best hope is an NFC West team, followed by the Packers and Panthers in the NFC. In the AFC, I think the Pats, Colts, Ravens, or Steelers could win, but the Ravens would be the best shot IMO.

We're not the only ones saying we have the deepest roster in the league:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/ ... -teams-nfl
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... nted-teams

All you need to know is the following:
Seahawks OL > Rams OL
Seahawks WRs > Rams WRs
Seahawks TEs > Rams TEs
Seahawks RBs > Rams RBs
Seahawks QBs > Rams QBs
Seahawks DBs > Rams DBs
Seahawks LBs > Rams LBs
Seahawks DEs > Rams DEs
Rams DTs > Seahawks DTs

I would worry about your own OL and WRs because those are looking like not just two of the weaker position groups in the division, but also the entire league. With a deer-in-the-headlights QB with a strong tendency to hold the ball too long and to get sacked (and hurt), that is looking like a bad combination for you guys. Your DL will win you some games, but not consistently.

As for why our relatively weak OL/WRs have not hindered us much over the last three seasons, it's because we have the most elusive QB in the league and one of the best tackle-breaking RBs in NFL history. They have helped compensate a little for those other position groups. Jimmy Graham should help compensate even more.

I never said anything bad about the Hawks OL and WRs. I think they are very good. I was commenting on how when its a thread about defending Wilson, those players (which make up a whopping 25% of the active gameday roster) "suck". When it's a thread about who is the best team all around, they don't suck.

There is no way the Seahawks have better DEs than the Rams. The rest of your list I would agree with.

I do think that Seattle is the deepest team in the NFL - but to say that is to acknowledge that your OL and WRs are NOT garbage.

Why is it that Seattle has essentially been split with the Rams the past three years, with all those advantages and with 4 games coming with the Rams playing a backup QB?? I don't think the talent difference is as big as you make it out to be. And I wouldn't put Seattle's WRs and OL too far in front of the Rams...not even close to some of the weaker position groups in the entire NFL.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Ambrose83":1obmiktu said:
Ramfan128":1obmiktu said:
I think it's funny that Seahawk fans say they have the deepest roster in the NFL in a thread like this, but just bash the OL and WRs in threads defending Russell Wilson...which is it? Those active players make up typically 12 out of 48 spots - 25% of the roster.

Anyway, the Packers cannot play with Seattle. That was a bad loss by the Packers, but as one poster pointed out, Rodgers has NEVER had a good game against the Hawks. take him away (like the Hawks always do), and what does Green Bay have? A consistently below average defense and Lacy. That's not enough.

So firstly, I'd like to give some props to the best team in the NFL as of February - the Patriots. They lost some guys, but if Gronk stays healthy, they're always going to be a threat.

The Packers only real chance, even at home, is if someone gets into the playoffs that can actually beat the Seahawks. The Panthers won't be that team.

In the NFC, I'd say Dallas is the only team that can win in Seattle. The next best hope is an NFC West team, followed by the Packers and Panthers in the NFC. In the AFC, I think the Pats, Colts, Ravens, or Steelers could win, but the Ravens would be the best shot IMO.

we say that because of the overall depth, some areas ( OL) are not as deep, then you have areas that are extremely deep, it evens out, and very very few people would argue that seattle has the most talented roster top to bottom.... is that really even possible to argue? GB is not going to blow the doors off us in lambeau.... their HFA they have is nothing compared to what we have here in seattle, they have been beat in the playoffs at home.... the hawks have not ..... as already said, our D makes rodgers average at best.... they really dont have much else after him. NO AFC team scares me, lets be honest NE won that game, they dinked and dunked on a injury depleted D who allowed more YAC then any game in the last 4+ years... NE was much healthier that game and STILL for all things considered should have lost that game. A 85% healthy hawks team beats them by 10+ with browner and revis..... IN NE, in the SB and certainly up here at the link.

No argument from me. I think Seattle is the deepest team in the NFL. I think their WRs and OL are not nearly as bad as some people think.

edromeo

Reaction score
Ambrose83":lx12hdtg said:
..the packers have a great secondary? this is news to me
Great might be overstating but they're above average.
Looking back to the playoff game if it wasn't for ChopChop+Wilson big play against a busted coverage the Packers secondary effectively shutdown the passing game without really doing anything exotic they played mainly pressman across the board Cover-1.

Anyhow here are some pertinent metrics for Packer passing Def:

Pass D is #11 by Football Outsiders

Tied for 7th w/ 18 interceptions

10th in YPA

Hold opposing QBs to passer rating of 82 good for 7th.

And they added Damarius Randall(FS) and Quentin Rollins(CB) 2 of the better secondary prospects form this draft class.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
edromeo":fqcosdto said:
Ambrose83":fqcosdto said:
..the packers have a great secondary? this is news to me
Great might be overstating but they're above average.
Looking back to the playoff game if it wasn't for ChopChop+Wilson big play against a busted coverage the Packers secondary effectively shutdown the passing game without really doing anything exotic they played mainly pressman across the board Cover-1.

Anyhow here are some pertinent metrics for Packer passing Def:

Pass D is #11 by Football Outsiders

Tied for 7th w/ 18 interceptions

10th in YPA

Hold opposing QBs to passer rating of 82 good for 7th.

And they added Damarius Randall(FS) and Quentin Rollins(CB) 2 of the better secondary prospects form this draft class.

The near concussion they gave Wilson in the 2nd Quarter was pretty "exotic."

LTH

Reaction score
The only way the seahawks dont go to the SB is if they dont play to their potential... Hense the obvious...this is a long... long... off season...

LTH

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
The team that will give the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS some big problems is the packers. With Clay M. on the field he will try to injure Russell Wilson all game long. And The Hawks have just gotten by the pack for a few games now like the Fail marry and the NFCcg. Our number could easily could be up this next game. I think we are a better team but it is hard to win on the road. (it's a toss up but like I said our number could come up and we could lose this one! If we could win the first two games we could really have a great season with only a couple losses give or take. I think the Cow Girls will be going backwards. So I could really see the Hawks having an outstanding year! The Packer game is the BIGGEST GAME OF THE YEAR (reg. Season)!
Roger

two dog

Reaction score
The Packers. They kinda had our stuff figured out for most of the NFC champ game.
Some 4th quarter and OT heroics pulled out the game but you can't count on that
as a winning strategy.

I didn't realize until that game that Clay whatsisname was such a d**k (duck), but he is.
Their QB has always acted like an entitled, spoiled child. Mike McCarthy is a damn good
coach and their roster is pretty complete so it will take a strong effort to take them, in
Green Bay or in the playoffs.

StoneCold

Reaction score
After reading all the Russell Wilson contract threads it's obviously Russell Wilson's contract.

SC

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Ambrose83":wrvnuq5m said:
their HFA they have is nothing compared to what we have here in seattle, they have been beat in the playoffs at home.... the hawks have not .....
Just for the sake of accuracy, we have been beaten in Seattle at least a couple of times. We lost to the Rams after the 2004 season, and to the Dolphins after the 1999 season. I think we were division champs after the 1988 season also, and we were one-and-done, which means we had to have lost at home to whoever we played, which I don't remember offhand and am too lazy to look up.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
PackerNation":3jpioi5p said:
The Green Bay Packers.

julius-peppers-rush-on-russell-wilson-nfc-championship.gif

Another NFCCG. This time at Lambeau and we will play a full 60 minute game.

I look at the NFC like this:

#1 Seattle (Reigning NFC Champs)
#2 Green Bay Packers (Best team in the NFL)
#3 A bunch of teams with men.
#4 The Chicago Bears

It's really a 2 horse race that will come down to injuries and who is playing better at the end of the year. Green Bay needs to win the regular season match up at home vs. Seattle to send a message and get over that awful slump we are in.

Seattle needs to show up, play defense and get Graham working in the Red Zone all year. They should win the division without to many issues.

Green Bay 13-3
Seattle 12-4

It should prove to be another great season with the two best teams in the NFL duking it out once again. I really hope both teams come into the Championship relatively healthy and it proves to be another epic contest.
GB most certainly are not the best team in the NFL, for if they were?, they'd have beaten the Seahawks.
There seems to be a belief by some of y'all, that the Seahawks are just treading water, or at a stand-still, and that the Packers are manning up, gearing up, and Coaching up to take everyone, by storm, including the Seahawks.
If the Seahawks get back to full health, there's no reason why they won't again dominate the NFC.
There's a reason that the Seahawks have been the "Reigning NFC Champs" for the last two Seasons, and that the Packers have not.

rideaducati

Reaction score
scutterhawk":2dxqe94f said:
PackerNation":2dxqe94f said:
The Green Bay Packers.

julius-peppers-rush-on-russell-wilson-nfc-championship.gif

Another NFCCG. This time at Lambeau and we will play a full 60 minute game.

I look at the NFC like this:

#1 Seattle (Reigning NFC Champs)
#2 Green Bay Packers (Best team in the NFL)
#3 A bunch of teams with men.
#4 The Chicago Bears

It's really a 2 horse race that will come down to injuries and who is playing better at the end of the year. Green Bay needs to win the regular season match up at home vs. Seattle to send a message and get over that awful slump we are in.

Seattle needs to show up, play defense and get Graham working in the Red Zone all year. They should win the division without to many issues.

Green Bay 13-3
Seattle 12-4

It should prove to be another great season with the two best teams in the NFL duking it out once again. I really hope both teams come into the Championship relatively healthy and it proves to be another epic contest.
GB most certainly are not the best team in the NFL, for if they were?, they'd have beaten the Seahawks.
There seems to be a belief by some of y'all, that the Seahawks are just treading water, or at a stand-still, and that the Packers are manning up, gearing up, and Coaching up to take everyone, by storm, including the Seahawks.
If the Seahawks get back to full health, there's no reason why they won't again dominate the NFC.
There's a reason that the Seahawks have been the "Reigning NFC Champs" for the last two Seasons, and that the Packers have not.

The Packers have the same team that COULDN'T get it done last season and I am to expect them to be better this year? I don't think so. Their division will be tougher and just about every other NFC contender got better, yet the team that did NOTHING is somehow better.

I've seen this script play out before. A team ALMOST gets it done in the playoffs so their GM is fooled into thinking they are good enough to get it done so he keeps the team together for another run at it. I don't recall this strategy working since the salary cap was instituted. Complacency doesn't make you better.

OP
OP
ptisme

ptisme

Reaction score
Green Bay's reason for optimism is as follows:
1. Green Bay was one of the youngest teams in the league last year. They expect rookies and second year players from last year at center, TE, LT, RB, WR3, ILB, and DB to make jumps. While this is a projection, all these players looked good last year.
2. Assuming Rodgers stays healthy... The Packers feel there was a few third downs last year that Rodgers had lots of room to run to be converted this time against Seattle.
3. They return all 11 guys on offense and expect to be better due to continuity on that side of the ball.
4. They are getting their two ILB's: Clay Matthews and 2nd year man Sam Barrington (who showed promise) a full off season at the position.
5. They are getting BJ Raji back. He was in great shape last summer and moved back to the position he dominated at a few years ago. By all indications he was unblockable last summer before tearing his tricep. He's back and in even better shape.
6. Our defensive backfield looks to be better this year with an infusion of speed and talent. They were good last year but Tramon Williams was getting long in the tooth and House couldn't stay on the field.
7. Lambeau Field: The Packers view the winner of the week two match up as potentially the team that gets home field. As everyone knows Green Bay is Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hide at Lambeau vs away. Part of that is at home Rodgers has a quiet stadium to work his counts on the defense. Green Bay thinks it can put Seattle away in Lambeau... I rewatched the NE game at Lambeau last year. Green Bay won a close one but there were numerous instances where that game could have gotten out of hand in favor of the Packers.
8. Mike McCarthy is a great coach when it comes to preparing his team. He is just so so on game day. He's handed off the play calling to the talented Tom Clements while he focuses more on the entire team aspect. Early returns are he is making a huge difference in the position rooms. Hopefully Green Bay won't call plays not to lose this year if it gets a lead on Seattle....
9. Green Bay finally fired ST coach Shawn Slocum and geared the draft toward upgrading special teams. This unit has only one way to go as it has been consistently ranked near the bottom of the league in special teams over the years...

rideaducati

Reaction score
ptisme":juxnpph8 said:
1. Green Bay was one of the youngest teams in the league last year. They expect rookies and second year players from last year at center, TE, LT, RB, WR3, ILB, and DB to make jumps. While this is a projection, all these players looked good last year.
2. Assuming Rodgers stays healthy... The Packers feel there was a few third downs last year that Rodgers had lots of room to run to be converted this time against Seattle.
3. They return all 11 guys on offense and expect to be better due to continuity on that side of the ball.
4. They are getting their two ILB's: Clay Matthews and 2nd year man Sam Barrington (who showed promise) a full off season at the position.
5. They are getting BJ Raji back. He was in great shape last summer and moved back to the position he dominated at a few years ago. By all indications he was unblockable last summer before tearing his tricep. He's back and in even better shape.
6. Our defensive backfield looks to be better this year with an infusion of speed and talent. They were good last year but Tramon Williams was getting long in the tooth and House couldn't stay on the field.
7. Lambeau Field: The Packers view the winner of the week two match up as potentially the team that gets home field. As everyone knows Green Bay is Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hide at Lambeau vs away. Part of that is at home Rodgers has a quiet stadium to work his counts on the defense. Green Bay thinks it can put Seattle away in Lambeau... I rewatched the NE game at Lambeau last year. Green Bay won a close one but there were numerous instances where that game could have gotten out of hand in favor of the Packers.
8. Mike McCarthy is a great coach when it comes to preparing his team. He is just so so on game day. He's handed off the play calling to the talented Tom Clements while he focuses more on the entire team aspect. Early returns are he is making a huge difference in the position rooms. Hopefully Green Bay won't call plays not to lose this year if it gets a lead on Seattle....
9. Green Bay finally fired ST coach Shawn Slocum and geared the draft toward upgrading special teams. This unit has only one way to go as it has been consistently ranked near the bottom of the league in special teams over the years...

All that sounds great...except against the Seahawks. The Seahawks GAVE the ball to the Packers five times and the Packers still lost. I doubt the Seahawks give the ball up like that again and it's going to be the same offense vs. the same defense. I don't think the Packers will even keep it close. I think this game will be like last year's week one match up.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Vegas week 1 odds are 67% for GB to win in Chicago and 65% for Seattle to win in St. Louis. As such, the likelihood that both teams will be 1-0 entering week 2 is only 44%. It is more likely that at least one of the two teams will have a loss already than that this will be some season defining game in week 2 between otherwise unbeaten teams. Every game matters in the NFL - including all the ones that you don't view as a threat in July.

OP
OP
ptisme

ptisme

Reaction score
rideaducati":28sw5sdx said:
ptisme":28sw5sdx said:

All that sounds great...except against the Seahawks. The Seahawks GAVE the ball to the Packers five times and the Packers still lost. I doubt the Seahawks give the ball up like that again and it's going to be the same offense vs. the same defense. I don't think the Packers will even keep it close. I think this game will be like last year's week one match up.
Except that Green Bay literally was two different teams last year away from home and at home.... Take a look back at the results last year for GB...THis is a different year, we'll see....

HommyHawk

Reaction score
Complacent 12's....players come and go.We are the constant. To you lucky few that are always there yelling your lungs out thank you...and let's help make some history this year.Go Hawks!!!!! #2outta3inarow

RichNhansom

Reaction score
ptisme":8anyanai said:
This seems like a reasonable assumption.

This not as much because Rogers was 100% healthy in the first game.
This also seems like a safe assumption.
Again I could see why you would be optimistic.
This seems full on hopeful expectation but is not out of the realm of possibility but even if we assume it is accurate then it would be fair to say that Mebane and Hill will both be back and 100% healthy. Mebane being reported as the best shape of his life and has never shown to be anything other than elite while Hill was just coming into his own and looking like a stud. I mention these two because they were healthy in the first game and out in the second so if it is reasonable to believe Ragi will improve your defense (did he play in the first game?) then it is more than reasonable to assume that Mebane and Hill would be an even larger upgrade. Would you agree?

I'm sure you won't like this comment but you sound like a 9er fan with #6. Will they be an upgrade? You hope so but it is equally likely they will not and add in the 2nd game of the season I would say odds are they are still learning the defense and continuity. Remember you were talking up continuity in #1 so you have to consider it both ways.
Agree Lambeau is a tough venue and it makes sense that Rogers would play better in front of his home crowd and with less crowd noise. It also makes sense that our #3 corner (not decided yet) and our Slot corner (Lane) won't be back by then but you still have to credit Pete and the LOB for doing their research and shutting down top shelf QB's. I think this might be the key to the game.
Uhm, you went full 9er fan again. Until proven otherwise this is a down grade. Just changing something doesn't make it better and more often than not in the early stages it makes things worse. It may prove to be a smart move or it may backfire.
Your really going full 9er fan to finish this off. Nicely done. Way to commit. J/K. I remember when we finally got rid of Holmgren and moved on to Mora. Hey it could only get better right? RIGHT?

Here is where I see the outlier's. This is in Lambeau but it is also a prime time game. Lets call that a wash (I'm assuming you know Seattle's record on prime time games?) 5 Turn overs is what kept the last game close and you still lost. It is pretty apparent McCarthy seemed to have your players so hyped they were completely spent by the 2nd half. That was a great way to start but do you think it's possible that Seattle was caught off guard a little? You have heard I'm sure, how hard it is to beat a team twice in the same season right? We won the first game 36-16 and it really wasn't that close. Don't you have to assume you will come out hyped again and get 5 more turn overs while we again come out flat in this next game along with all of your bullet points? And that is assuming Seattle won't be better with the addition of Jimmy. I could also go into a 9er fan type hype about Tyler Locket potentially dramatically improving out kick off and punt returns along with 6'5" 230lb Chris Mathews in his second year after putting up over 100 yards and a TD in the super bowl (the only game he played in last year) but to me that feels like 9er fan logic.

So sticking to the obvious and undeniable facts. How do you think that NFCC game would have looked if we don't turn the ball over 5 times? Do you think Seattle will come out flat like the NFCC game after how that game played out and hearing all off season how lucky they were to have won it? Removing all the hype fluff and hope do you still believe the Packers are the better team?

Cheers and thanks for posting here. Your a good poster and I enjoy reading your posts.

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
:snack: :thfight7:
Clay M. is a dirty player and if he can injure R.W. like he did in the NFCcg, you will win. If Clay tries that again you may see your Q.B. down for the count too!
Seattle has something to prove and there will not be any snow for the second game of the year! Game on! This is the biggest regular season game in the NFL! Seattle is a much better team than you saw last year thank to several things but mostly the BEST T.E. in the NFL, as per NFL.COM. Lots of our players are feeling better than they ever have in their time in the NFL! I'm glad it's the second game of the year!
Prediction Seattle 25 - G.B. 13
The two teams could come out of this game with lots of injured players!
Roger